follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #281
turbofan
949Racing Support

Drives: 1999 Mazda Miata Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The street and track versions are simply different spring packs. We specifically selected the adjustment range to span both spring packs. So if you want a better-than-stock ride but with improved handling, get the street pack. If later on down the road you feel like chasing lap records, swap the springs, turn the knobs, and have at it.
EMAIL US at info@949racing.com
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #282
turbofan
949Racing Support

I'm realizing that perhaps you don't know about this thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...97#post3265697
Old 10-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #283
949 Racing
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Miata, GT350, FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
Will y'all still be releasing a track spec Xida?
Not sure I understand you. How does the Xida we have been describing with Street or Race spring packs not match your need?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #284
langjai23

Drives: 14 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
how are rebuilds handled? What is the turn around time roughly?
langjai23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #285
turbofan
949Racing Support

See Xida thread linked two posts up.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #286
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
I'm realizing that perhaps you don't know about this thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...97#post3265697
I did not see that thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 949 Racing View Post
Not sure I understand you. How does the Xida we have been describing with Street or Race spring packs not match your need?
My understanding based on previous comments was that there was going to be two different dampers, one street and one track. I guess I misunderstood. No sweat.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #287
949 Racing
FT86Club Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
I did not see that thread.

My understanding based on previous comments was that there was going to be two different dampers, one street and one track. I guess I misunderstood. No sweat.
Ah, yes. One shock valving spec. Your choice of either spring pack. Same shock either way.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #288
Jamestl

Drives: None
Question for the 949 folks b/c you're fast drivers...

I know general consensus is that the stock brakes are sufficient for the platform. I'm thinking about doing TT eventually, and I'm wondering if you guys have any experience, or better yet, data, on the impact of BBKs from purely a lap time performance perspective (not longevity, cost, consistency, etc.) with race tires (either on 86 or Miatas, or anything else). My thinking is that with BBKs one should be able to generate higher decel Gs, and thus brake deeper into the braking zone and thus save time, but I don't know if that's actually the case or not (vs. people just going deeper b/c they *feel* like they could with BBKs, not because BBKs actually slow down the car more, or alternatively the brakes may not be the limiting factor and rather it's the tires, or other reasons). Would appreciate any insights. Thanks!
Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #289
949 Racing
FT86Club Official Vendor

If you are not fading the OEM based brakes, you don't need a BBK. The right BBK, implemented properly can improve braking feel. Improved braking feel can improve precision of brake release on corner entry.

As grip or power increases, the total thermal energy put into the brakes increases sharply. We use a 328mm (12.88") Wilwood kit on all four wheels of Blub. We faded OEM brakes despite having a very high MOT (max operating temp) race pad and Castrol SRF.

An ancillary benefit is reduced sprung mass and it's effect on grip. That is the least important reason to install a BBK and not the best bang for the buck when tuning you car for performance.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #290
Jamestl

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm basically getting brake fade toward the end of my sessions now, on 200tw tires (Federal 595 RS-RRs), with ST43 pads and SRF. Going to a race tire will tax the system even more, though for TT I would only need one clean lap, so net net I'm not sure what that means. Hence my question of whether a similar setup OEM brakes vs. BBK will improve braking distance on race tires.

Would the following be a fair representation of your view, phrased in another way: BBK will not improve braking distance vs. OEM brakes on a similar setup (pads/fluids/tires), but the BBK will provide better feel, and that's where improvement in lap times will appear.

Thanks again!

PS - what tires do you guys run on your car?

Quote:
If you are not fading the OEM based brakes, you don't need a BBK. The right BBK, implemented properly can improve braking feel. Improved braking feel can improve precision of brake release on corner entry.

As grip or power increases, the total thermal energy put into the brakes increases sharply. We use a 328mm (12.88") Wilwood kit on all four wheels of Blub. We faded OEM brakes despite having a very high MOT (max operating temp) race pad and Castrol SRF.

An ancillary benefit is reduced sprung mass and it's effect on grip. That is the least important reason to install a BBK and not the best bang for the buck when tuning you car for performance.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #291
949 Racing
FT86Club Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestl View Post
Thanks for the quick response!

I'm basically getting brake fade toward the end of my sessions now, on 200tw tires (Federal 595 RS-RRs), with ST43 pads and SRF. Going to a race tire will tax the system even more, though for TT I would only need one clean lap, so net net I'm not sure what that means. Hence my question of whether a similar setup OEM brakes vs. BBK will improve braking distance on race tires.

Would the following be a fair representation of your view, phrased in another way: BBK will not improve braking distance vs. OEM brakes on a similar setup (pads/fluids/tires), but the BBK will provide better feel, and that's where improvement in lap times will appear.

Thanks again!

PS - what tires do you guys run on your car?
I think I already answered your question and .. I'm not sure what else to write to clarify for you. You need to determine if eliminating brake fade will improve your results or not.

We run a wide variety of tires on Blub. More importantly, what are your needs, classing restrictions, etc?
Old 10-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #292
Jamestl

Quote:
I think I already answered your question and .. I'm not sure what else to write to clarify for you. You need to determine if eliminating brake fade will improve your results or not.

We run a wide variety of tires on Blub. More importantly, what are your needs, classing restrictions, etc?
I'm planning to run in NASA TT5. Non-OEM brakes are a 0.2 pt addition, so it needs to make me faster in lap time, or otherwise it's not worth it since I can translate those points into ~40lbs in weight. What makes the decision hard is that since I just need one fast lap, consistency of braking, etc. is not all that relevant as I can warm up the car and basically aim for one to two clean laps (and fade isn't an issue over a short period). My hypothesis was that bigger disks/pads *could* increase my G force under braking, which will translate into lower lap times, but I don't have data to prove or disprove it.

If I may perhaps ask the question in a different way for a yes / no answer... Imagine you need to do one flying lap in Blub for best time and the car is warmed up, which below do you think will produce a faster lap time:
1) race pads / SRF / race tires & OEM brakes
2) race pads / SRF / race tires & BBK

Thanks again. Hopefully not making this complicated. Just trying to get an opinion from someone who's skill level is high enough to have exceeded the stock system.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #293
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestl View Post
I'm planning to run in NASA TT5.
Run Verus brake cooling. Problem solved. I overheated my OEM brake system pretty easily at Watkins Glen.

With DTC60, Castrol RTF and the verus brake cooling system that problem was completely gone. And no points added for TT. FYI the kit is SO GOOD that I was able to "downgrade" from DBA rotors to centric premiums without issue.

Now back to 949 Racing's build thread
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #294
Jamestl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
Run Verus brake cooling. Problem solved. I overheated my OEM brake system pretty easily at Watkins Glen.

With DTC60, Castrol RTF and the verus brake cooling system that problem was completely gone. And no points added for TT. FYI the kit is SO GOOD that I was able to "downgrade" from DBA rotors to centric premiums without issue.

Now back to 949 Racing's build thread
Takumi - THat's helpful information. My question was not around how to not overheat OEM brakes, but rather whether BBK would improve an advance driver's lap time vs. non-overheated OEM brakes with similar setup.

My apologies everyone, did not mean to derail the thread.

Tags
6ul, 949 racing, blub, xida