follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #15
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperBRZ View Post
What's SOA?
subie of america
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
[quote=ReaperBRZ;3079744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Gti View Post
You cannot program a new key without a currently programmed key. Period. Parts will need to be removed and shipped to Subaru. They usually ship them back on the same day as arrival or the next morning. They blank the modules so the car will turn on(electronically, engine still won't start) and then the newly purchased keys can be programmed to the blanked modules.

I know this already.. know ones giving me a direct answer to if they REALLY SEND IT TO SUBARU, everyone in my toyota parts dept. Says they're sending it to a toyota dealer to clear them.. also have read that they need techstream which Subaru doesn't have, only toyota.. WHY CANT I DO THIS AT A TOYOTA DEALER?
Dude don’t lose it on us. We are just telling you what others have come up against. If your guys say they can do it then just have them do it.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #17
ncted

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
[quote=ReaperBRZ;3080556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post

What's SOA?
Subaru Of America
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:20 AM   #18
AndehLu

Drives: 2015 Turbo Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Do you still have the little metal tag with the code for your car on it? They can program from that. If you don't then I understand from previous threads that they will indeed have to send the modules away.

Each fob has a chip that is programmed for just that car. Your method will not work unless the key is programmed.

I am in the similar situation and I lost both my keys as well. However I have the little paper with my vin number on it next to my metal tag with the code on it. Are you sure they can program me new keys with this code without any existing keys? I also remember a salesman saying something like that too when I bought the vehicle. Do you know anyone that has done this?
AndehLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:27 AM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndehLu View Post
I am in the similar situation and I lost both my keys as well. However I have the little paper with my vin number on it next to my metal tag with the code on it. Are you sure they can program me new keys with this code without any existing keys? I also remember a salesman saying something like that too when I bought the vehicle. Do you know anyone that has done this?
There are people that have said they had it done. The metal tag is the important thing. They can't program from the vin since it is in full view of anybody that looks for it and that would defeat the whole purpose of a chipped security system.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:30 AM   #20
AndehLu

Quote:
There are people that have said they had it done. The metal tag is the important thing. They can't program from the vin since it is in full view of anybody that looks for it and that would defeat the whole purpose of a chipped security system.
They've done it with no existing keys at all?
Also just incase it doesn't end up working, I tried taking my vehicle to an autolocksmith and he wasn't able to sync with the car. Is it because of a possible tune? Everyone including my tuner said it should have nothing to do with a tune. Also I heard that when subaru takes out the two modules and resets them from your vehicle, the cars system will waken once again allowing them to sync with the car to re program. Is this why my auto lock smith couldn't do it?
Old 05-05-2018, 02:46 AM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
They've done it with no existing keys at all?
Also just incase it doesn't end up working, I tried taking my vehicle to an autolocksmith and he wasn't able to sync with the car. Is it because of a possible tune? Everyone including my tuner said it should have nothing to do with a tune. Also I heard that when subaru takes out the two modules and resets them from your vehicle, the cars system will waken once again allowing them to sync with the car to re program. Is this why my auto lock smith couldn't do it?
Look at it like this. If you take a fob in and say "I would like another of these please" they would look at the code on it and program another fob. They don't need the fob itself to make a copy just the numbers. Just replace the fob with the tag and the same should apply.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:51 AM   #22
AndehLu

Quote:
Look at it like this. If you take a fob in and say "I would like another of these please" they would look at the code on it and program another fob. They don't need the fob itself to make a copy just the numbers. Just replace the fob with the tag and the same should apply.
omg... makes so much sense jesus, running in there first thing in the morning..
The Following User Says Thank You to AndehLu For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 02:55 AM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
omg... makes so much sense jesus, running in there first thing in the morning..
Let us know how you make out. Cloud help out the next guy if we have a definative verdict we can put in the new to the car thread.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:59 AM   #24
AndehLu

Quote:
Let us know how you make out. Cloud help out the next guy if we have a definative verdict we can put in the new to the car thread.
first thing ill do is update you guys
Old 05-05-2018, 03:04 AM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
first thing ill do is update you guys
OH dude at least drive the car first!
Old 05-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #26
AndehLu

Unfortunately it does not work. the metal tag is just the metal cut of the emergency blade, theres no other way around it besides having subaru send in your biu and something else to do with the key module to subaru of america, and having them wipe everything. I'm assuming all autolocksmiths are having this issue with our cars because they can't waken up the system when they try to sync their cables and software to our vehicle. The best they can do is turn on the headlights, hazard lights to get some kind of feedback but it's not waking up the system. I believe once the biu and key module is wiped and replaced back in your car, the cars ign will turn on but not the engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndehLu For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (05-06-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #27
Ragin Gti

Drives: '15 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
You cannot program a new key without a currently programmed key. Period. Parts will need to be removed and shipped to Subaru. They usually ship them back on the same day as arrival or the next morning. They blank the modules so the car will turn on(electronically, engine still won't start) and then the newly purchased keys can be programmed to the blanked modules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The immobilizer will not "wake up" without a programmed key, without it saying "I'm good" you cannot program a new key.

Ragin Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #28
AndehLu

Quote:
The immobilizer will not "wake up" without a programmed key, without it saying "I'm good" you cannot program a new key.

Yeah So pretty much what I said right? And why all these auto lock smiths couldn’t connect with my car? The guy was able to communicate with a 2013 Scion FR-S not sure why he couldn’t with mine. But makes sense if they have to wipe all of it for the new keys to get programmed.