follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2015, 08:07 PM   #43
soilent

Drives: 2022 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
They've got posts claiming 100k miles with no problems? I'd love to have more confidence in the FA20 long term but Blaine's the only person I've seen beating on it with high mileage. I'll be up there about three years from now given my current habits, would be nice to know if I should budget for a DD if my engine is going to let go at 85k like his did and I will rebuild it in my garage, or sooner like others have. Feel free to PM me the links if you've got them.

Edit: One problem in the side racecar theory: You've assumed that OP is doing something intensive, I saw no mention of AutoX or HPDE or competitive events. Most people don't do that kind of thing even on this board. A side project car is likely more hassle than it's worth to the average Joe.
This. I'm actually a pretty relaxed driver, BUT I do want to have something that's fun when I feel the urge to get on it. I have no plans whatsoever of racing or autocross.
soilent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soilent For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #44
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Im sorry but I have to say this about the fiat 500... one of if not the most unreliable car(s) of 2014

https://www.google.com/search?q=most...m=122&ie=UTF-8

I dont trust consumer reports for their reviews but I do trust their data collection.
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #45
dtrop

Drives: Wrb 2014 limited brZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Lol. If you go back and re-read your post, you stated your opinion as fact and provided an anecdote. I responded with an anecdote, but then also posted pics and evidence. I was probably more correct, no big whoop. That's about it guy. Don't worry, everyone is ok here. No more loud noises.

In case you don't remember
What you bolded is still an opinion that of which you don't agree with.

You have a right to disagree with me, that's great. I have a right to disagree with you.

I never stated that the fiat has more or less storage space than a twin. I don't consider the twin to have good storage space at all.

In any case, he hasn't shown any interest in a fiat.
dtrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #46
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilent View Post
This. I'm actually a pretty relaxed driver, BUT I do want to have something that's fun when I feel the urge to get on it. I have no plans whatsoever of racing or autocross.

Acura RSX, Scion Tc, Toyota Celica, Mazda3 and Civic Si, would be my suggestions. Maybe a Mazdaspeed3 or GTI but those are on the more maintenance heavy side. They're all good affordable commuters that aren't entirely disconnected from the road and respond well to being driven hard.

Sorry but affordable, reliable, lightweight, sporty, RWD, moderately practical cars that are good for high mileage use simply don't exist unless you're willing to rebuild an older car from the ground up, and then you have to live with an older car. Or shell out the cash for something higher end/newe, but that's a limit for you.

Edit: Regular Focus and Fiesta might also fit the bill, go on many test drives of cars you can, and can't, afford.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (08-20-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #47
Hotrodheart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilent View Post
So, long story short, I was planning on getting an 86, but due to some personal circumstances I realized I won't be able to afford one. My first thought was obviously just buy a used one, but even those are typically too expensive. Anyway, I'd really like to get a car with a similar experience and setup as an 86- RWD (AWD is acceptable too), small, and has back seats and/or pretty decent cargo space (I'm a musician and have to haul gear pretty often). My budget now is around 15k and the suggested car HAS to be very reliable. I use my car for my job and drive upwards of 25k miles a year, so it can't be some 90s project 240sx or the like. Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm really getting some good stuff in here. A couple things I've thought about that usually don't come to mind in this situation are some older Lexus and Infinitis. Especially the used Lexus market. Those things are dirt cheap. What are your thoughts on an IS model or an Infiniti G?
Contact @Tcoat he might be looking to unload his hot lava FR-S. Mint condition; a few rattles.
Hotrodheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #48
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Acura RSX, Scion Tc, Toyota Celica, Mazda3 and Civic Si, would be my suggestions. Maybe a Mazdaspeed3 or GTI but those are on the more maintenance heavy side. They're all good affordable commuters that aren't entirely disconnected from the road and respond well to being driven hard.

I know this is blasphemy on this site but any of the last gen Mitsubishis including the Eclipses and Lancer GT/Ralliart versions (stay away from the base ones) can also be great, reliable, practical but still fun little cars. This forum seems to have a totally unfounded hatred for them (to many Subie guys maybe) between my wife and I we have had 7 1/2 Mitsus over the years and never had an single issue with one of them.
raven1231 (08-19-2015), strat61caster (08-20-2015), Ultramaroon (08-22-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #49
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Definitely way too many Suby guys. I would never buy that pig of an eclipse, although I did know someone who loved the ever living daylights out of them. And the Lancer's with awd are good, but from what I understand it is the same awd system that is in the EVO, and it is high maintenance and expensive as well.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #50
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Definitely way too many Suby guys. I would never buy that pig of an eclipse, although I did know someone who loved the ever living daylights out of them. And the Lancer's with awd are good, but from what I understand it is the same awd system that is in the EVO, and it is high maintenance and expensive as well.
The last couple of gens of the Eclipse is a great GT car but ya the weight takes out of any type of sporting class. The early gens can kick the ass of many RWD cars but most have been beat to shit or old age has taken it's toll.
The Ralliart or AWD GTs do not have the same system as the Evo (contrary to what the owners will tell you) and is not even remotely as high maintenance.
From what I read about the OP's needs these would fit nicely.
raven1231 (08-19-2015), Ultramaroon (08-22-2015), why? (08-20-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #51
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The last couple of gens of the Eclipse is a great GT car but ya the weight takes out of any type of sporting class. The early gens can kick the ass of many RWD cars but most have been beat to shit or old age has taken it's toll.
The Ralliart or AWD GTs do not have the same system as the Evo (contrary to what the owners will tell you) and is not even remotely as high maintenance.
From what I read about the OP's needs these would fit nicely.
Would you recommended it over a miata? (eclipse last gen) For a girl who has never own a car but tracked her uncle's integra type R. She wants something fun thats a blast to drive. under 10k budget tho
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #52
fridayfrs

Drives: Frs
I'd look into a Prius v. Couldn't be further from fun but haas loads of room and easy on gas. I don't think the car you are looking for exists in the era you need.
fridayfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #53
Brndn704

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Ultimately it's your decision. You asked for our opinions and I stand by mine. You can't go wrong with a Honda.
Brndn704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:06 PM   #54
Brndn704

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Wait are you talking about an RX-8 or 86?
Literally every descriptor you just said can apply to the Toyobaru, including the, at this point mysterious, starting issues.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37138
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25822
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22351
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18874

Not to mention the FA20 is still unproven, not many have exceeded powertrain warranty yet, they could all fall apart by 100k whereas the updated Renesis is pretty solid to 150k and RX-8's are cheap enough to buy one, replace an engine and have a couple grand left over for gas and consumables with OP's $15k budget.

OP wanted a car like the Toyobaru, the resounding answer is RX-8. If OP wants a reliable commuter I don't think I'd suggest anything anyone has suggested in this thread. S2k included as all the examples I've seen at $15k need a minimum of several hundred dollars worth of consumables and lots of inspection before I'd feel safe driving it as intended, not to say that isn't a worry with the RX-8 only that there's budget left to do so.

It's kind of like buying a Corvette or Porsche for economy car prices and expecting economy car maintenance, that simply isn't the case and you have to be extremely wary of whether the previous owner knows that or not, that goes for any performance vehicle that will see more than light street duty whether it's a CRX or Ferrari 458. I'm not the only person in this thread advising against a $15k (or cheaper) S2k.

What is best for OP is probably the nicest Civic Si he can find under budget so he's got some money leftover to keep the car in good shape. But that's not what was asked.
TL;DR
Brndn704 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brndn704 For This Useful Post:
DannyQ86 (08-20-2015), NWFRS (08-20-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #55
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If getting even a used FRS is a problem, I'd actually suggest something very humble.

The Mazda 2 is as dependable as a Yaris the only difference is its quite a lot more fun to drive. Its got a light weight tossable feel to it, there's no question its really cheap and being a subcompact it will be cheap to run so hopefully you can save up to buy one of these cars at a later date. Of all the subcompact and to some degree even compact cars, the Mazda 2 was the nicest to drive. It doesn't have the RWD feel but it has a very light weight nimble feel, heck its actually lighter than the FRS/BRZ. From a driver's perspective I wish more mainstream FWD cars drove like this little Mazda does. The only flaws it has are the very low budget economy car interior, and if you get the automatic its quite slow. Its my choice for saving as much money while still retaining a enjoyable car to drive.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jegan_V For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-20-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #56
thesewaffles

Drives: 2013 Honda Accord Sport
You should get a Yamaha R6😁
thesewaffles is offline   Reply With Quote