follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #29
Drewfellas

Drives: '15 frs Halo. must scrape
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Honestly, I would take the time to think it through. I fell in love with the car back when I was a jr in college and knew I had to get the frs. I found myself two years later at the dealership sitting right front of a dealer peering off into my frs. BRZ was in my price range, but the car was perfect where i didnt want to modd after doing research, i decided to stick with the frs. I seen the genisis around and it looks decent, but the curves on the FRS or BRZ is just so hot. Originally i had a dealer wanting to sell me a 2015 one that was dark blue or black for 29k OTD tax and fees included, but when i saw the Halo color one. My mouth and pants dropped not to mention my wallet. Honestly, depends if you can financially pay and maintain the car. Currently im financing mine on my own and proud of it. I already put on Cusco front and rear struts. I'd say forget the budget and dont think too much about it because this car deserves the upmost respect. Hell, members in this community convinced me that this car was worth the extra. =D
Drewfellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #30
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfellas View Post
Honestly, I would take the time to think it through. I fell in love with the car back when I was a jr in college and knew I had to get the frs. I found myself two years later at the dealership sitting right front of a dealer peering off into my frs. BRZ was in my price range, but the car was perfect where i didnt want to modd after doing research, i decided to stick with the frs. I seen the genisis around and it looks decent, but the curves on the FRS or BRZ is just so hot. Originally i had a dealer wanting to sell me a 2015 one that was dark blue or black for 29k OTD tax and fees included, but when i saw the Halo color one. My mouth and pants dropped not to mention my wallet. Honestly, depends if you can financially pay and maintain the car. Currently im financing mine on my own and proud of it. I already put on Cusco front and rear struts. I'd say forget the budget and dont think too much about it because this car deserves the upmost respect. Hell, members in this community convinced me that this car was worth the extra. =D

Oh how I wish I could just forget the price...

Again, I'm only covering the downpayment so the price of the car is not decided by me, but my father.
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #31
Drewfellas

Drives: '15 frs Halo. must scrape
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
Oh how I wish I could just forget the price...

Again, I'm only covering the downpayment so the price of the car is not decided by me, but my father.

How much can you put down?
Drewfellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #32
Hot Lava
The Antiriced

Drives: women wild
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfellas View Post
How much can you put down?
He stated $ 8000. Tell Dad since price is a consideration you'll learn to drive the manual. I see few issues related to manual as far as safety goes. You're young so learning to drive a stick should be easy and timely to this stage in your life. In the long run you won't regret the decision. If it becomes an issue then ask your girlfriend to show you how (subtle sexual innuendo).
Hot Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #33
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I got my '13 FR-S w/ 4,100 miles on it from a Subaru dealer for $23.5k OTD. I had relatively minimal experience with stick before, but there's no way I'd have bought this car with an automatic (I can understand if that's truly your only option though). Getting used to stick was very easy with this car. Also, I think that driving stick can make a person a better driver as it requires more focus on the car and road. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #34
El Guapo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
25k FR-S, is it really not possible?
It's possible if you consider getting something lightly used. Working for a small used car dealership, I was able to get my MT 2013 FR-S with a little over 500 miles on it at a little over the price they got it for which was $20,500. I do live in Utah, where winters can get pretty bad so that might have helped our dealership and, in turn, myself get the car at a lower price.

If you consider getting something used, manual transmission, and if you're patient, you'll find a good deal that falls below your price range. Looking out of state, especially somewhere that snows often during the winter, would definitely help too. Winter is coming soon and most dealers that have to deal with winter are more willing to negotiate on RWD cars.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #35
Racer-X

Drives: 2016 FR-S
"The problem is that I have to stay on a 25k budget excluding taxes and dealer fees (I would imagine getting one for 25k with tax and dealer fees would be impossible), "

I paid $24,998 for my 2015 FRS automatic, and that included the destination charge, but no taxes. Now, before you get your hopes up, this was in California, but deals to crop up now and then. That same dealer now has four manual 2015's for $23,998.

I would suggest patience, persistence, and trying to find all the dealers in your area. I didn't even know about this one, and was just browsing sites not seriously thinking about getting an FR-S for another six months or so.
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racer-X For This Useful Post:
abraxis (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #36
dreamingat30fps

Drives: 14 FRS Asphalt Monogram
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
It's possible if you consider getting something lightly used. Working for a small used car dealership, I was able to get my MT 2013 FR-S with a little over 500 miles on it at a little over the price they got it for which was $20,500. I do live in Utah, where winters can get pretty bad so that might have helped our dealership and, in turn, myself get the car at a lower price.

If you consider getting something used, manual transmission, and if you're patient, you'll find a good deal that falls below your price range. Looking out of state, especially somewhere that snows often during the winter, would definitely help too. Winter is coming soon and most dealers that have to deal with winter are more willing to negotiate on RWD cars.
This. Why buy new and lose a few grand right off the bat. The dealer where I got mine had a 2013 with less than 3k miles. They were asking like $23k for it, I'm sure it could have been had for close to $23k OTD. They had another with like 19k miles for like $19k.

I could not justify ever buying a new car unless I was drowning in cash and even then would only buy new if I HAD to have the latest model with very specific options that I would be unable to buy used.
dreamingat30fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #37
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
This. Why buy new and lose a few grand right off the bat. The dealer where I got mine had a 2013 with less than 3k miles. They were asking like $23k for it, I'm sure it could have been had for close to $23k OTD. They had another with like 19k miles for like $19k.

I could not justify ever buying a new car unless I was drowning in cash and even then would only buy new if I HAD to have the latest model with very specific options that I would be unable to buy used.
AHHHHH But SOMEBODY has to buy new for there to be used ones now don't they!
Personally I would be very, VERY cautious of buying one of these cars used with more then a couple of thousand miles in it. Even then I would look extremely close at the service history (if not owned by one of the "I don't trust anybody so do all my own work" crowd) and would examine every possible prior mod location for signs of change.
How many times do we see on this forum alone "had enough of this piece of crap and am pulling all my mods (which sometimes were the cause of the problem in the first place) and trading for the newer shinier (insert car here, usually a 15 WRX lately though)?
Even pure stock ones can get pretty beat up and still look fine.
Not to say there are not good deals on used just need to be wary.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #38
dreamingat30fps

Drives: 14 FRS Asphalt Monogram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
AHHHHH But SOMEBODY has to buy new for there to be used ones now don't they!
Personally I would be very, VERY cautious of buying one of these cars used with more then a couple of thousand miles in it. Even then I would look extremely close at the service history (if not owned by one of the "I don't trust anybody so do all my own work" crowd) and would examine every possible prior mod location for signs of change.
How many times do we see on this forum alone "had enough of this piece of crap and am pulling all my mods (which sometimes were the cause of the problem in the first place) and trading for the newer shinier (insert car here, usually a 15 WRX lately though)?
Even pure stock ones can get pretty beat up and still look fine.
Not to say there are not good deals on used just need to be wary.
Pretty much all of my cars have been used (except maybe like the first 2 cars in my life). Never had any issues arise related to previous owner. That being said I don't tend to keep cars for 100k miles and I also always try to buy ones with <30k miles. However I saw a LOT of very low mile FRSs out there when I was looking.
dreamingat30fps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamingat30fps For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #39
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Pretty much all of my cars have been used (except maybe like the first 2 cars in my life). Never had any issues arise related to previous owner. That being said I don't tend to keep cars for 100k miles and I also always try to buy ones with <30k miles. However I saw a LOT of very low mile FRSs out there when I was looking.
Reverse for me! Last 3 new all the rest VERY used (some had 200000+ miles when I GOT them).
Doesn't change the fact that if nobody buys new there are no used ones too buy, not to mention no companies making them.
My point on the FRS was that they are not a Corolla or Camry where lightly used means exactly that. I am not exactly what I would call hard on mine (it's still a baby) but not sure I would want to be the guy buying it knowing that it does get DRIVEN.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #40
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I was looking into the gen coupes too before I got my BRZ, I liked the interior of the gen coupe but I felt like the car was a boat and had no soul.

Got my BRZ for $25.5k and it wasnt even a local dealer car, had to be shipped from a dealer 300 miles away.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #41
TnRen41

Drives: 14' Asphalt FR-S MT
I got mine through carmax. It's a 2014 monogram Mt 5100 miles. It's was a little out of your price range but it color and mt doesn't matter to you (like it did to me) then I know u can find one (or a brz) on there. Also they gave me 2k for my truck which believe me was a steal on my part. So you could try looking on there, plus it was really painless and simple this being my 1st car purchase. Worst part is waiting for it to be shipped to me

Failure is not an option.
TnRen41 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TnRen41 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-08-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #42
VeezyF

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Now that I did not know!

I would love to have the BRZ at 25k... :3

What would be the best way to search for the success stories you are referring to?
that is way too much for a stock 2015 ... they are upcharging you. find another dealer!
VeezyF is offline   Reply With Quote