follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
Evo2Brz

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question about brz/frs tpms compatibility

Let's say I purchase oem frs wheels/tires and put them on my brz. Can I just as easily sync to the frs tpms with my
Brz ecu?? Thanks I haven't been able to find an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Evo2Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Evo2Brz For This Useful Post:
HolyAssertion (02-12-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Elkton86er

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB AT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have a second set of BRZ OEM wheels and took the car to my Subaru dealer to reprogram the ECU - they told me to take it to Toyota since they didn't have the (Toyota) equipment yet to do the reprogramming! So I did and it was fine - but I asked the Toyota dealer to write down both sets of codes.

Then I bought the ATQ QuickSet tool and entered all the codes (summer/winter). This past fall I did my own reprogramming and it worked fine. It's a Toyota system so I can't believe that the FRS wheels would have a different TPMS than the BRZ wheels.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
Evo2Brz

Great info. So basically, I put the frs wheels on my brz, take it to a scion dealership and they can set it up for me?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:12 PM   #4
Coffee

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkton86er View Post
I have a second set of BRZ OEM wheels and took the car to my Subaru dealer to reprogram the ECU - they told me to take it to Toyota since they didn't have the (Toyota) equipment yet to do the reprogramming! So I did and it was fine - but I asked the Toyota dealer to write down both sets of codes.

Then I bought the ATQ QuickSet tool and entered all the codes (summer/winter). This past fall I did my own reprogramming and it worked fine. It's a Toyota system so I can't believe that the FRS wheels would have a different TPMS than the BRZ wheels.
I had a different experience at my Subaru dealer (Classic Cadillac and Subaru of Atlanta). I had them put on a gently used FR-S wheels/tire combo on the rear during the regularly scheduled tire rotation. They did it for free. The tire light was on during the trip home, but then it hasn't come back on since (~2 weeks).
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Elkton86er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
I had a different experience at my Subaru dealer (Classic Cadillac and Subaru of Atlanta). I had them put on a gently used FR-S wheels/tire combo on the rear during the regularly scheduled tire rotation. They did it for free. The tire light was on during the trip home, but then it hasn't come back on since (~2 weeks).
What I found was that the software in the car is biased to not bother you with the light unless it has not "smelled" its known sensor codes "recently" (which could mean XX miles). Turns out that since I store my "off-season" wheels in my garage right next to the car every time I have the car running in the garage the car "smells" the codes and the computer is happy so the light stays off. As long as this happens "soon enough" the light will stay off forever. So I was able to drive back and forth to work for over a week and no light. But one night I went somewhere else on my way home from work and the light came on (blinking). The next morning no light.

In your case either the dealer reprogrammed your codes or you haven't driven far enough since the last "sniff" (assuming you store your alternate wheels near your car).
Old 02-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
Elkton86er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo2Brz View Post
Great info. So basically, I put the frs wheels on my brz, take it to a scion dealership and they can set it up for me?
That should work. Your Subaru dealer *may* by now have the tool also. Be aware that the cost for this service 1 time is almost the cost of the ATEQ tool. ($100 ish).
Old 02-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
new set of tires and wheels from tire rack, light came on and stayed on, even thought parked next to old tires. went to the Subaru dealer and asked them to reprogram them. they said no can do. went home and found an update bulletin from Subaru telling them to get an update to do it. back to the dealer with bulletin number in hand. they were not happy with me for telling them their job, but two hours later they got it done.(that was a year ago so I have no idea where I got the number on the internet) I had to pay for their time to do the update. will be getting the tool this spring. I have heard the ATEQ is not easy but will work if you are persistent.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
jetsevo4 (02-12-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
Coffee

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkton86er View Post
What I found was that the software in the car is biased to not bother you with the light unless it has not "smelled" its known sensor codes "recently" (which could mean XX miles). Turns out that since I store my "off-season" wheels in my garage right next to the car every time I have the car running in the garage the car "smells" the codes and the computer is happy so the light stays off. As long as this happens "soon enough" the light will stay off forever. So I was able to drive back and forth to work for over a week and no light. But one night I went somewhere else on my way home from work and the light came on (blinking). The next morning no light.

In your case either the dealer reprogrammed your codes or you haven't driven far enough since the last "sniff" (assuming you store your alternate wheels near your car).
Good to know. Your "sniff" explanation may be true in my case as I am storing my original wheels in the garage near where I've been parking my car overnight. Nevertheless, I should ask the dealer next time I go.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #9
Evo2Brz

So to some it all up... Frs tpms sensors are compatible to sync with a brz?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:23 AM   #10
jetsevo4

Drives: '15 brz
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
new set of tires and wheels from tire rack, light came on and stayed on, even thought parked next to old tires. went to the Subaru dealer and asked them to reprogram them. they said no can do. went home and found an update bulletin from Subaru telling them to get an update to do it. back to the dealer with bulletin number in hand. they were not happy with me for telling them their job, but two hours later they got it done.(that was a year ago so I have no idea where I got the number on the internet) I had to pay for their time to do the update. will be getting the tool this spring. I have heard the ATEQ is not easy but will work if you are persistent.
^I really hope my local dealer can do this...or maybe I'll be able to get a hold of the tool used to reprogram the sensors.
jetsevo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #11
avp1

Drives: Traded BRZ for Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsevo4 View Post
^I really hope my local dealer can do this...or maybe I'll be able to get a hold of the tool used to reprogram the sensors.
Dealers must have the ability to register new sensors. Otherwise how they can they fix severely damaged wheel? It will cost you $50-60 though. You need to know sensor codes. Tirerack will send you these codes if you ask.

Keep in mind that sensors have to be activated. Usually it requires letting all air out of tire and filling it again.
avp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #12
Elkton86er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
I have heard the ATEQ is not easy but will work if you are persistent.
Here's the thing about the ATEQ: the computer user interface and the directions are set up for a particular sequence of use:
1. (Follow the directions to) use the tool to read the codes for the wheels currently programmed into the car.
2. Upload those codes to the PC program.
3. Enter the new codes for the alternate wheels into the PC program.
4. Write the new codes to the tool.
5. Use the tool to reprogram the car after the new wheels are mounted.

If you follow the directions and do this exact sequence there should be no confusion. It was somewhat confusing when I had both sets of codes on paper and tried to load both into the PC and the tool before attaching the tool to the car. I got it to work, but I had to scratch my head a couple of times.

Full disclosure: I am an experienced software engineer.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:40 AM   #13
ksconekiller

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Do you really NEED the TPMS system? I mean, can't you just check the pressures every so often like we used to? If so, just take out your sensors and enclose them in a PVC tube sealed on both ends. Let the nozzle of one stick out of the tube so you can use it to fill the tube to the required PSI. Set the assembly in the trunk, and you're done. Never have to worry about sensors in wheels again. So much easier than paying for a reset and going through that silly process.
ksconekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #14
avp1

Drives: Traded BRZ for Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksconekiller View Post
Do you really NEED the TPMS system? I mean, can't you just check the pressures every so often like we used to? If so, just take out your sensors and enclose them in a PVC tube sealed on both ends. Let the nozzle of one stick out of the tube so you can use it to fill the tube to the required PSI. Set the assembly in the trunk, and you're done. Never have to worry about sensors in wheels again. So much easier than paying for a reset and going through that silly process.
In any sport car you need it. It's hard visually identify tire even with 30% of pressure loss. No one checks pressure daily either. But if your tire is thrown off the wheel at 100 mph because of low pressure, you have very good chance not to survive the following accident.
avp1 is offline   Reply With Quote