follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2022, 04:52 PM   #211
CaptainFenderbaum

Drives: women crazy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRebel View Post
A) Dealerships are a byproduct of regulatory capture and not "free market"
B) How would you like to look for a new TV. Find a decently priced model online, only to arrive in store to find a "10% market adjustment". And then have to go around to multiple stores in-person just to find one that wasn't going to add 10% to the price OR make the sale dependent on some "extended warranty"? Pretty shitty right? Like REALLY close to some kind of bait and switch scheme.

Also not saying all dealerships are scum, but ones that exploit peoples ignorance and set "market values" that price people out of the market are.
True.

But I'm hopeful that there is significant dealership reform in the near future. Some manufacturers have grown weary of how bad dealers taint their brand's image.
CaptainFenderbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:55 PM   #212
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFenderbaum View Post
You misunderstood the import part of the advice the Wolf was giving (which he conveniently capitalized for emphasis). The point was that when dealing with snakes, it's wise to get things in writing. The specific title of the person you're dealing with is mostly beside the point.
You can also deal with salespeople IN WRITING.
In fact I have preached to get everything in writing for years.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #213
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You can also deal with salespeople IN WRITING.
In fact I have preached to get everything in writing for years.
Without getting it in writing and signed by someone with the authority to authorize sales contracts, you got nothing

Many years ago as a young man, wet behind the ears and keen to buy my first new car, I made a great deal with the VW sales guy. 1985 vw golf, no power steering, no radio. But AC.

Sales guy wrote up the paperwork and said they’d call when the car was delivered in a few days.

I get a call when the car arrived but was concerned when sales guy says there are just a few details we have to hammer out

I pull out the paperwork and see it’s not completed and the numbers as written lead to a far higher othe door price than was discussed.

At the dealership I realized the guy had no intention of honoring the deal. He even suggested I wanted the car so bad I imagined the numbers I was saying he quoted

I demanded to see the manager and I let him have it I was wired up far more tightly then and I was surprised that it worked kind of. Told him I would not work with the ass-hat and would only work directly with him

In the end I did not get the price originally discussed but I did get a number I could live with. They gave me quite a bit of money for my old74 Nova, a rust bucket from Minnesota.

As I was leaving the salesman says’ “well you sonifabitch, you got your price” I wanted to take a poke at him but thought better if it.

A few weeks later a buddy and I were driving Stone Mountain Freeway and saw my old nova, dead on the side of the road. I always wondered if they made that Sonofabitch sales guy drive it as punishment. One can only hope.

A few years later dealership out of business. Not surprising.

Anyway, get it in writing with an authorized signature. Tell them I f any funny business at car pickup and final signatures you will take your business elsewhere
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:50 PM   #214
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
First, I love how you and your little very young and very naive cohort think that anybody that doesn't automatically agree that dealerships all suck, are all filled with shady individuals, and everything and anything they do is useless and unethical is "white-knighting" dealerships. I have never said anything even CLOSE to that point. In fact, I AGREED that in this day and age dealerships probably aren't necessary and I look forward to a day when most (probably all) manufacturers offer direct-order type arrangements for those who want to use them. I (and you and your little friend) would certainly be in the group that would choose to never walk into another dealership if they had the choice.

So you can stick it where the sun don't shine as far as thinking I am in love with dealerships and/or the people that work there. I don't love them/I don't hate them. I do understand why they do what they do (free market - hello??) and that given that the company that manufactures the car that I want but to buy (in this instance) doesn't offer me any alternative but to buy the car that I want from a dealership, I ACCEPT the fact that they are (for now) a necessary evil.

I am in favor of the free market and everything that means. I like it when it helps me (i.e. the fact that I bought my BRZ for probably very close to what the dealer paid for it screwing him, and also that I sold that same BRZ to Vroom for way more than I thought it was worth because, at that time that is what the market demanded) and I like it when it doesn't help me (i.e. right now trying to buy a new car at MSRP- particularly a very desirable car like the GR86 that is in short supply).

I am not some petulant child that only likes the free market when it helps me. And, as you recall in this instance, the buyer had a signed agreement with the dealer for a certain deal that included a B.S. add-on of lease damage insurance that amounted to the dealer essentially getting the market value for the car he was going to sell. The original buyer then went back on his agreement to lease and the dealer was left scrambling for a way to get the market value out of the car that he planned on (and deserved). I was fine with the original buyer walking away when the dealer said that would come in the form of $1,500 rust protection as that would allow the dealer to go out and get market value for the car. I am happy that the customer and the dealer negotiated an acceptable solution for both.

And if you and your little cohort can't understand these relatively simple economic concepts, I am not sure what else I can say.

Yes, insult my intelligence and flaunt your mistaken perception that I am young and uneducated about economics...you are laughable.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:29 AM   #215
Thatllbuffout

Drives: WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Yes, insult my intelligence and flaunt your mistaken perception that I am young and uneducated about economics...you are laughable.
I'm assuming i'm the cohort in his comment. I appreciate him calling me young tho, I try to workout and eat healthy, so thank you. Other then that I couldn't be bothered to make it through his wall of text. I'm sure it contained some unfounded nonsense that he understands the world better then anyone else and why doesn't everyone think like he thinks. He does seem to be taking this all a bit personal.

I stated an opinion that I do not like dealerships. Him, nor anyone else will change my opinion on that. While shopping for a twin, I spoke with 42 Toyota dealerships, all with markups of $5,000-$10,000. This doesn't include around $2,000 in dealer fees and unwanted addons. There were 5 dealers that were willing to be at MSRP but were not doing pre-order and had no idea when more were coming in. I spoke with 24 Subaru Dealers before finding one that would order a 23' BRZ with no dealer fee and no markups. My point is I feel my sample size of 65 dealers was large enough to support my continued dislike of dealers.

Ironically there was an article on Jalopnik today about this very topic. Dealers are destroying brand loyalty through predatory tactics and massive markups. Manufactueres are pissed but legally there isn't anything they can do about it.
Thatllbuffout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thatllbuffout For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 09:13 PM   #216
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

Entitlement rules here!!!!!!

A boomer lecturing people about entitlement...unreal.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:27 PM   #217
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
You have heard that 2023 orders are closed? That would make things interesting. I have not heard that it has closed.
Since they only opened sales in May that is a very short window if true!
They opened mid-April.

Got a note from my dealer that my car should be here the 18th vs the 29th now.
hepmama (08-15-2022), Tcoat (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 07:03 AM   #218
YamiBRZ

Drives: 2006 MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Got a note from my dealer that my car should be here the 18th vs the 29th now.
Nice! I have to call my dealer today, still waiting on mine. ETA was the 9th and still haven’t seen anything.
YamiBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:53 AM   #219
YamiBRZ

Drives: 2006 MX-5
Update, going to pick it up today!
YamiBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YamiBRZ For This Useful Post:
DNAcomposition (08-15-2022), hepmama (08-15-2022), OkieSnuffBox (08-15-2022), Tcoat (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 09:38 PM   #220
Awhnii

Drives: BRZ 2023
I placed my order on april] 18th... original eta was mid August . Then Mid September , now it's late october... California
Awhnii is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Awhnii For This Useful Post:
DNAcomposition (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 11:19 PM   #221
hepmama

Drives: 2019 BRZ with PP, 2023 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awhnii View Post
I placed my order on april] 18th... original eta was mid August . Then Mid September , now it's late october... California
Mine was the opposite. I ordered 4/19. Started out with ETA in October and I picked it up last week. So weird!
hepmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:01 AM   #222
Awhnii

Drives: BRZ 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by hepmama View Post
Mine was the opposite. I ordered 4/19. Started out with ETA in October and I picked it up last week. So weird!
That's awesome at least some of us are getting it! What the heck is going on though it just keeps getting pushed back..
Awhnii is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Awhnii For This Useful Post:
hepmama (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 11:33 AM   #223
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awhnii View Post
That's bizarre. Placed my order April 26th. Original arrival was Aug-Sept. First estimated arrival was August 29th.

Now it's supposed to be here in a few days.

Weird that I'm in Oklahoma and getting it before you on the coast.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #224
OkieSnuffBox

And my sales guy just said it's pushed to next week because of a driver shortage.