follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 05-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #239
hoonagin

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ, 06 WRB STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Reading these threads doesnt exactly inspire confidence in my local dealerships ability to not fuck this up. Was thinking about taking it in for springs and TOB but might just not get the recall done at all.
hoonagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:50 AM   #240
S3pt1c

Drives: Supercharged 2015 GTS86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
This might give some credence to the concerns that some owners voiced over having Toyota techs work on boxer engines that they are not very familiar with vs. Subaru techs who work on boxers every day. Unfortunately, it isn’t as if the Scion owners have the choice to go to a Subaru dealer for this recall.

I didn’t realise that anyone had any choice over which manufacturer carried out the work. I thought that if your car is a Toyota (and came from them I assume) you must go to Toyota (unless you want to pay for he work separately, and the same would occur for Scion, Subaru etc.
If anyone knows this to NOT be the case please shout. I have a friend that would be very happy to use Subaru, rather than Toyota, for this work.
S3pt1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #241
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
No choice that I understand. FRS and 86 have to go to Toyota.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-13-2019), humfrz (05-13-2019), MuseChaser (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #242
Bowflex

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
No choice that I understand. FRS and 86 have to go to Toyota.

That is correct.
Bowflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #243
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3pt1c View Post
I didn’t realise that anyone had any choice over which manufacturer carried out the work. I thought that if your car is a Toyota (and came from them I assume) you must go to Toyota (unless you want to pay for he work separately, and the same would occur for Scion, Subaru etc.
If anyone knows this to NOT be the case please shout. I have a friend that would be very happy to use Subaru, rather than Toyota, for this work.
Nobody said that there was a choice... obviously the car will have to be taken to the respective manufacturer dealership for recall work.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #244
HugoFRS6AT

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6AT
Hi all, just a friendly reminder to everyone affected by this bad recall.

It is imperative that you file a complaint with NHTSA. A gentlemen working there told me that they are in fact monitoring the situation and this board as well.

You can file your complaint easily, just click "Report a Problem" in the top right corner:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2013/SCION/FR-S

You can also file a complaint here:
https://www.safercar.gov/

By my last count, only about 30 people have registered their complaints.

As you can see in the following story, it seems NHTSA may be more willing to step in if there are more registered complaints.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ough/39475157/

Thanks,
Hugo
HugoFRS6AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #245
Spidy627

Drives: 2013 FRS
Smile Sparks Toyota Myrtle Beach

It took them a week but the car has been running well for more than 2000 miles since recall work. They have a really good senior mechanic.
I notice no difference in performance at all.
Spidy627 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spidy627 For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #246
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoFRS6AT View Post
Hi all, just a friendly reminder to everyone affected by this bad recall.

It is imperative that you file a complaint with NHTSA. A gentlemen working there told me that they are in fact monitoring the situation and this board as well.

You can file your complaint easily, just click "Report a Problem" in the top right corner:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2013/SCION/FR-S

You can also file a complaint here:
https://www.safercar.gov/

By my last count, only about 30 people have registered their complaints.

I was just in the process of taking you up on your suggestion, but the link suggested I'd need pictures of the accident or a police report. I was lucky enough not to have an accident or even a stranding.. managed to limp my smoking crappily running ruined engine and car back to the dealership after the recall... and then back to the dealership after the replacement engine was installed without replacing any of the old direct injector seals, leading to further problems.

I'm so frustrated that, about now, I'd file a complaint with the Ukranian Ministry of Bison Grooming if I thought it would be of any use to anyone.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #247
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I was just in the process of taking you up on your suggestion, but the link suggested I'd need pictures of the accident or a police report. I was lucky enough not to have an accident or even a stranding.. managed to limp my smoking crappily running ruined engine and car back to the dealership after the recall... and then back to the dealership after the replacement engine was installed without replacing any of the old direct injector seals, leading to further problems.

I'm so frustrated that, about now, I'd file a complaint with the Ukranian Ministry of Bison Grooming if I thought it would be of any use to anyone.
You can file a complaint with the consumer advocacy group:
https://www.autosafety.org/
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #248
timandytimandy
Wanna-be

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
So is the recall worth having done? I cancelled my original appointment bc my local dealer had no idea if they ordered the replacement parts and I've had multiple problems with their work in the past. That was in March and when everyone was having engine failure within 2000 miles of the recall being done. Is it worth trying to have it done?
timandytimandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #249
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timandytimandy View Post
So is the recall worth having done? I cancelled my original appointment bc my local dealer had no idea if they ordered the replacement parts and I've had multiple problems with their work in the past. That was in March and when everyone was having engine failure within 2000 miles of the recall being done. Is it worth trying to have it done?

If your car is running well I wouldn't trust that dealership to do the recall work since they had issues doing I presume to be much simpler service tasks in the past.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #250
subaru

Drives: STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I've got about 200 miles since the recall or a little more. Today I got an insane rattle from the shifter area. It's not an occasional rattle but a something is clearly come loose. Obviously the thing to do is for me to take it back and see wtf they forgot to torque all the way but in the meantime any ideas?

Also really annoyed they tried to sell me a new clutch during recall @31k, very nicely adult driven no burn outs etc. and the car has not felt the same in terms of the clutch since it came back. The first sign was it did no go into first gear as easily when coming to a stop.

GRr.
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #251
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post
I've got about 200 miles since the recall or a little more. Today I got an insane rattle from the shifter area. It's not an occasional rattle but a something is clearly come loose. Obviously the thing to do is for me to take it back and see wtf they forgot to torque all the way but in the meantime any ideas?

Also really annoyed they tried to sell me a new clutch during recall @31k, very nicely adult driven no burn outs etc. and the car has not felt the same in terms of the clutch since it came back. The first sign was it did no go into first gear as easily when coming to a stop.

GRr.
Well, that sucks -

Did you have them install a new TOB while they had it apart? Or had you already upgraded to the new TOB?

Why did they say they wanted to install a new clutch?

See bolded above - I hope you meant to say after coming to a stop??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #252
subaru

Drives: STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
yeah, I meant right as you have come to a stop you can feel the gate or sychro be smoothest / open up. This doesn't feel right anymore, the car is notchy as hell to get into first.

So they said the clutch had hot spotting on it. I told them if that was the case it's probably related to the buggered tob I pleaded with them to get fixed at 14,000 miles but that they would not take responsibility for. So I called SOA, and put them in touch with the dealer along with my complaint. They asked the dealer to keep the car apart for a day while they decided. A day later they said they would give me 1,000 towards the clutch, however my scumbag dealer (walnut creek) which I will never shop at again put the car back together anyways. We bought 2 wrx's long ago from them but they have always been a very subpar dealer in every regard. They informed me they would still do a clutch but the price went up 1200 dollars now.

Meh. This sucks. To be honest the service guy did not seem to like me very much after we argued about the spark plugs and how the labor should be free. Once he finally accepted the plugs come out he did give me free labor, to be fair to him.
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring