follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2018, 11:05 PM   #15
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usp2333 View Post
Thanks for your help guys! The "throwout bearing" makes sense (idk what I'm talking about lol) I know I didn't know these things made crazy sounds like y'all are saying they do. Oh well, I guess I'll just go around staying awake at night wondering what the newest rattle is Just glad it wasn't something with the engine. When I first heard the sound, I nearly lost it. I will keep tabs on it and post again if it gets really bad.

I lost a few months of sleep over how crappy this car sounds too. To me my car sounded like it had faint rod knock. Sadly mine spun a rod bearing 6 months later. It will be interesting to see how it sounds after I rebuild it. You’re video sounds normal to me though. Like crap, but normal. Hahaha
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 PM   #16
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've heard an odd rattle from mine if I rev it very slightly with the car in neutral and the clutch out. It has been quite a long time since I first noticed it and no problems with my car. So if we are experiencing similar then in my experience its been nothing to worry about just another piece of character in the car.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #17
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
just get a louder exhaust or turn on your radio
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:16 AM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for your help guys! The "throwout bearing" makes sense (idk what I'm talking about lol) I know I didn't know these things made crazy sounds like y'all are saying they do. Oh well, I guess I'll just go around staying awake at night wondering what the newest rattle is Just glad it wasn't something with the engine. When I first heard the sound, I nearly lost it. I will keep tabs on it and post again if it gets really bad.
Oh, usp2333 ……. …… snap out of it!

Don't let every little sound you hear cause you to wreck up your driving experience.

If a really bad thing happens …… there will not be any doubt in your mind ….. and most of the times, nothing (within reason) you could have done to prevent it.

* most of the time you will get a CEL, which will yield a code

* spun rod bearing - the engine will stop running

* bad TOB - it will scream at you

I suggest you just follow the maintenance schedule and relax …….

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
LOL thanks for the colorful replies I drove the car today between classes, and I found that the sound is only present when the clutch is NOT depressed and the car is in neutral. I can make it come on and go away by letting the clutch out or pushing it in. This relieves me a lot that it's probably not something with the engine but is with the clutch or transmission. Let me know what you guys think.

It's sortof a rattle (like knocking) - you can most clearly hear it in the first part of the video where I am pushing in and letting out the clutch - https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAswtVyc4z5sNFpv2
@humfrz' favorite topic to give me shit about, 'neutral rollover.' He doesn't like that it has a name he didn't already know about. The flywheel is already about as light as it can be and still keep the engine idling relatively smoothly. It still transmits the firing pulses through to the transmission and, since the gears all rotate freely when it's in neutral, they actually do rattle a bit.

Perfectly normal. Welcome to life with a small high-compression engine.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:50 AM   #20
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
@humfrz' favorite topic to give me shit about, 'neutral rollover.' He doesn't like that it has a name he didn't already know about. The flywheel is already about as light as it can be and still keep the engine idling relatively smoothly. It still transmits the firing pulses through to the transmission and, since the gears all rotate freely when it's in neutral, they actually do rattle a bit.

Perfectly normal. Welcome to life with a small high-compression engine.
Hey, I was just giving you an opening to expound on your favorite "universal" diagnosis for most of the FA20's unusual sounds …….

("gear rollover" ….. sounds like something Bubba would come up with ….)

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 01:01 AM   #21
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hey, I was just giving you an opening to expound on your favorite "universal" diagnosis for most of the FA20's unusual sounds …….

("gear rollover" ….. sounds like something Bubba would come up with ….)

Bubba isn't as deaf as you.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:09 AM   #22
Brz_racer

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, usp2333 ……. …… snap out of it!

Don't let every little sound you hear cause you to wreck up your driving experience.

If a really bad thing happens …… there will not be any doubt in your mind ….. and most of the times, nothing (within reason) you could have done to prevent it.

* most of the time you will get a CEL, which will yield a code

* spun rod bearing - the engine will stop running

* bad TOB - it will scream at you

I suggest you just follow the maintenance schedule and relax …….

humfrz
This advice could not be more true. If your car has an actual problem you will almost always get a CEL or the sound of a failing part will be very obvious before it fails completely. I just got a 2018 tS recently and the suspension is a little louder than the 2014 BRZ I drove. With the 2014 I drove I got a slight rattling noise when in neutral and decelerating. Never once got a CEL in the 2014. This car makes noise, the main difference is you can hear it more in this car than most others because there is almost no sound dampening. If the car runs smooth with no Idiot lights I wouldn't even worry about it.
Brz_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brz_racer For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 04:54 AM   #23
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Actually I was amazed when my car spun a rod bearing it didn’t throw a code. This is the first car I’ve spun a bearing on that the knock sensor didn’t mistake it for excessive detonation and throw a cel. I know most reports on here say their engines shut off on a spun bearing. People must not recognize the sound and just keep driving the hell out of it until it’s really seriously pounding away.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-25-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 03:19 AM   #24
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Oh, you're having knocking too?

Glad I'm not going crazy and hearing things. Mine seems to knock at 100KM or after 30 mins of driving at high speed. I am going to stick a microphone in the engine to see if its just me or there is an engine knock going on.
FRS2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:02 AM   #25
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Had my car serviced recently and the car mechanic noticed my idle pulleys had a bearing fault and corroding, so ended up replacing all three and now no more strange rattle after 30 mins of driving. Even Toyota couldn't figure it out, but the DIY Garage mechanic did thank god.
FRS2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS2017 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #26
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS2017 View Post
Had my car serviced recently and the car mechanic noticed my idle pulleys had a bearing fault and corroding, so ended up replacing all three and now no more strange rattle after 30 mins of driving. Even Toyota couldn't figure it out, but the DIY Garage mechanic did thank god.
He has good ears and good experience.

I'll repeat one of my mantras here. If a spinning bearing makes any noise at all, it's toast.

I pull the accessory belt on my vehicles maybe every couple years just to spin the idler & tensioner pulleys. Replaced a couple on the FRS last summer.