follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List
whiteout86monogram

Old 04-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #239
dkx64

Drives: 2014 Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'd really recommend going for the 1Up rack. It has the rigidity to be mounted side to side instead of front to back and tons of people here have used it. It is basically guaranteed to work while some of the other trays may or may not be stiff enough. My Thule Big Mouth was wayyyyy too flexible to use this way. I did it a few times but the bike was all over the place back there.

ive really liking the 1up rack, but would those tow hook bars you have there be strong enough to hold 2 1up racks and 2 bikes? if not, I might need to consider another mounting option. perhaps a hitch mount with the proper add-ons, although that seems to be quite a bit more money than just the tow hook bar option you're using.
dkx64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #240
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkx64 View Post
ive really liking the 1up rack, but would those tow hook bars you have there be strong enough to hold 2 1up racks and 2 bikes? if not, I might need to consider another mounting option. perhaps a hitch mount with the proper add-ons, although that seems to be quite a bit more money than just the tow hook bar option you're using.

2 road bikes and mounting the 2nd tray between the trunk and 1st tray (versus going with longer bars) would be OK. Two big downhill rigs and mounting further out would be not so good, IMO.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #241
dkx64

Garage
Quote:
2 road bikes and mounting the 2nd tray between the trunk and 1st tray (versus going with longer bars) would be OK. Two big downhill rigs and mounting further out would be not so good, IMO.
I appreciate your help, i think im going to have to find a way to get a hitch on my car. might be difficult with my exhaust being in the way. might still have to figure out a way to use the tow hook location for the hitch. found a picture of one with an ibis sticker on it, having a hard time finding the picture again, but apparently it can be done. so im looking into going that route at the moment as im fairly certain i'll need to be able to put 2 bikes up there. any other suggestions for this solution would be great

Edit:
found the pictures:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/car...t-img_9021.jpg
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/car...t-img_9015.jpg
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/car...t-img_9017.jpg
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/car...t-img_9020.jpg
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/car...t-img_9027.jpg

Last edited by dkx64; 05-03-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #242
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
@that_guy

Would you have the plans for these at all? I know this was some time ago, but I have been trying to find someone to draw these up to take to a fabricator to get some made.
I am in Australia, and there is a bunch of people over here keen to get some, If i can get enough people interested, i should be able to keep costs down for everyone..
I have seen a few fabricators, but without measurements, they are a bit hesitant.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #243
dkx64

Garage
I made a set myself with the assistance of my father. He's pretty much a master welder. It's a lot more wobbly that I had hoped for. I'm scrapping the idea and going to try a subframe hitch attachment underneath the bumper. If that doesn't work well. I'm selling the car and getting a truck. It's just not worth losing an 8,000 dollar bike on the freeway over. It was fun to design and make but in the end just does work well enough.

The other big issue is that there's not really a good way to lock the whole hitch to the car. Locking the bike rack to the hitch is rather easy with a slide through locker a cable lock (need to drill a hole) but someone could just steal everything by unscrewing a couple nuts. Again not worth it imo. Let me know if you have any other questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #244
Quentin

Quote:
I made a set myself with the assistance of my father. He's pretty much a master welder. It's a lot more wobbly that I had hoped for. I'm scrapping the idea and going to try a subframe hitch attachment underneath the bumper. If that doesn't work well. I'm selling the car and getting a truck. It's just not worth losing an 8,000 dollar bike on the freeway over. It was fun to design and make but in the end just does work well enough.

The other big issue is that there's not really a good way to lock the whole hitch to the car. Locking the bike rack to the hitch is rather easy with a slide through locker a cable lock (need to drill a hole) but someone could just steal everything by unscrewing a couple nuts. Again not worth it imo. Let me know if you have any other questions

You've made it too long and complex by adding the receiver hitch and the tilting hitch rack. Simplify it back to the 1up tray and the long tow bars that screw in, and I think you will be far less concerned about losing your bike.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #245
dkx64

Garage
Quote:
You've made it too long and complex by adding the receiver hitch and the tilting hitch rack. Simplify it back to the 1up tray and the long tow bars that screw in, and I think you will be far less concerned about losing your bike.

It's gotta be that long to accommodate a hitch receiver. I have the rack pushed all the way touching the back of my car almost and it's still bouncing around quite a bit.

The receiver version of the rack, although a bit heavier, is something that I can use on any car so that's why I ended up with it. I just need to find a more secure way of locking the whole thing to my car as well as a more secure way of mounting the rack to the car. The tow hook areas probably weren't intended for this kinda weight bouncing up and down

Old 11-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #246
Quentin

Quote:
It's gotta be that long to accommodate a hitch receiver. I have the rack pushed all the way touching the back of my car almost and it's still bouncing around quite a bit.

The receiver version of the rack, although a bit heavier, is something that I can use on any car so that's why I ended up with it. I just need to find a more secure way of locking the whole thing to my car as well as a more secure way of mounting the rack to the car. The tow hook areas probably weren't intended for this kinda weight bouncing up and down

I have both a hitch mount and 3 different trays. It is nice to be able to carry 5 bikes on my 4Runner, haha.

I would look into the Ecohitch by Torklift for your FR-S. They make some solid products.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #247
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I have the Ecohitch and it works well for a bike rack. A more econo option is the Draw-Tite hitch that's a similar design, but without the removable lower section. Less versatile, but more secure.

Best price seems to be on Amazon at $111: http://amzn.to/2en0POK
More detailed specs on etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...ite/24935.html
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #248
fx1mark

Drives: red 2014 FR-S
Quote:

I have one of these on my car. mounts behind the bumper cover and is nearly invisible.
http://www.draw-tite.com/products/tr...HB7ahvxYxeGZf4

I modified mine so I can remove the receiver.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13833

I also built a towhook hitch. if you want to go that route. I would have your father custom make a rail and mount lighter and closer to the car and not use the fancy bike mount.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=234

to make it lockable, have your father weld a loop onto the nut, like a large wingnut, then run a cable lock through both loops and around the bike. the nuts could not be unscrewed with the cable lock attached.
fx1mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #249
mistressmotorsports

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sold my car, so I have one of the rack mounts from that_guy up for sale. Comes with a 1UpUSA rack if you would like. It's been a phenominal setup, but it doesn't work with my new car. See the SoCal FS/FT post:http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...19346&page=711 post #9944
mistressmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #250
jcinque

Drives: White 2015 BRZ
Are you guys insane. Those things look like monstrosities. That's a 10ft board on my roof being held on by a suction cup roof rack. Military grade. Name of the company is Sea Sucker. They make all types of racks. I driven up to 80mph with that board up there never a problem.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
jcinque is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jcinque For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (09-28-2021)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #251
jcinque

Drives: White 2015 BRZ
Good example

jcinque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #252
Quentin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinque View Post
Are you guys insane. Those things look like monstrosities. That's a 10ft board on my roof being held on by a suction cup roof rack. Military grade. Name of the company is Sea Sucker. They make all types of racks. I driven up to 80mph with that board up there never a problem.

Many of us looked into seasucker... and then realized that the roof metal was super thin and the short roof necessitated putting a sucker on the glass to get the right span for a bike. Aerodynamic, low CG boards are different animals than mountain bikes.