follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2022, 07:03 AM   #813
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
That's cool. I've always wanted to have a little brother. It's nice to know that I now have thousands of them. <<patting lil' bro on the head>>
Nice! I always wanted a big sister.
Oh and that is not my head you are patting.

What are you doing step sister?????
soundman98 (11-16-2022), x808drifter (11-16-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #814
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
However, ""If money is not an issue"
I'll say it again, if money is not an issue then GEN1 vs GEN2 is the wrong question. Few of us would buy a Twin if money were not a factor.

That said, the OP asked a question in a 2nd gen subforum that requires those with GEN1 to answer. No 2nd gen first time buyer is going to be able to answer the question asked in any meaningful way.

Also, you need to remember a lot of us participants don't go to a specific subforum. We click on "new posts" read down the thread list and find those of interest, regardless of the arbitrary subforum it's in.

So opinions asked for, opinions given. No harm no foul.

This is getting almost as bad as AT vs MT!

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-15-2022), soundman98 (11-16-2022), Tcoat (11-15-2022), Teseo (11-17-2022), VoltsFRS2013 (11-15-2022), x808drifter (11-16-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 09:57 AM   #815
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The whole point of the thread is asking why stick with Gen 1. You are going to see "nitpicking" because these are the reasons many of us prefer the Gen 1. I don't give one single damn if you agree or not those are OUR reasons.

Of course it is all personal opinion" but your preference is also personal opinion. I think they are one of the uglyest cars on the road right now. That is my opinion. I am not asking anybody to change their opinion just that it is mine. There are many that agree with me but we are just told we are wrong and should not say anything.

You are fixated on costs but that is your problem not ours. You keep repeating that if somebody can afford it why wouldn't they change. We are saying exactly why we wouldn't change not that we can't afford to.

All I see in response to people's reasons as to why they prefer the Gen 1 is a bunch of butthurt snowflake Gen 2 owners that somehow feel that their opinion over rules everybody and can't stand to see anything bad said about their cars.
1. Fixated on cost because the OP literally poses this thread at an "IF MONEY WAS NOT A DECIDING FACTOR" POV.

2. " I don't give one single damn if you agree or not those are OUR reasons."
The beauty of an internet forum is that I among others don't have to give a single damn either.

3. All I see in response to people's reasons as to why they prefer the Gen 1 is a bunch of butthurt snowflake Gen 2

My comment initially sparked a struck nerve with you, so it's pretty interesting to say this. Regardless, you're in a Gen 2 section with a bunch of brand new Gen 2 owners knitpicking over doorhandles and turn signal stalks as if A, you're literally trying to convince yourself and others that a second generation was a bad thing or two make 2nd gen guys feel bad about their purchase? I don't really know. I don't really care either lol

It is beyond me how a thread like this has went this many pages in the Gen 2 section and not the Gen 1 section to begin with.

Last edited by VoltsFRS2013; 11-15-2022 at 10:16 AM.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:04 AM   #816
VoltsFRS2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'll say it again, if money is not an issue then GEN1 vs GEN2 is the wrong question. Few of us would buy a Twin if money were not a factor.

That said, the OP asked a question in a 2nd gen subforum that requires those with GEN1 to answer. No 2nd gen first time buyer is going to be able to answer the question asked in any meaningful way.

So opinions asked for, opinions given. No harm no foul.
Opinion was given, feathers were ruffled.

No 2nd gen first time buyer is going to be able to answer the question asked in any meaningful way. I completely agree, at the same time if that's the case why is there a 60 page thread in this subpart of the forum with an overwhelming amount of people unable to contribute to the thread.

At the end of the day like you said, Opinion is an opinion. It's an online web forum. It shouldn't ruin anyone's day.

Damn, what a terrible butt ugly doo doo car. So thankful I dont own that version. Look at the tonka truck special interior.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2022, 10:17 AM   #817
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
I want to say "finally, I see 2nd Gen Hotlava" but will not happen any time soon. If I upgrade, should be Zupra 2.0 or any pony cars
The closest thing to a 2nd gen in hot lava is that 2023 10th anniversary edition in solar orange.

Edit:
The second gen forum is where all the action is now, since....well the activity has shifted to the 2nd gen. First gen forums is now just a bunch of bot attacks or "what happened to my car?" type deals, since after 10 odd years on the market...some people have moved on.

Oh and MT OVER AT BITCHES!!!!!
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #818
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Damn, what a terrible butt ugly doo doo car. So thankful I dont own that version. Look at the tonka truck special interior.
Intersecting that you would pick the most base version of the oldest model of the first gen as a comparison point. I think later model Gen 1 is a much more representative 'comparison' myself...

LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LRNAD90 For This Useful Post:
SC10N (05-08-2023), soundman98 (11-16-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 10:25 AM   #819
VoltsFRS2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Intersecting that you would pick the most base version of the oldest model of the first gen as a comparison point. I think later model Gen 1 is a much more representative 'comparison' myself...

I'm just making fun. Can't take this too seriously.

What year is yours? My 18' 86 had pretty much the same interior. Going from a 13 to that car was like going from a Honda to a Rolls. Especially with the updated climate control.

However, not a single positive thing to say about those headunits. I don't know if my car was a flake but I could never listen to any audio unless my phone was directly plugged into the headunit. Bluetooth would work for maybe 10-15 minutes then stop working.
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 10:30 AM   #820
Tcoat

Quote:
1. Fixated on cost because the OP literally poses this thread at an "IF MONEY WAS NOT A DECIDING FACTOR" POV.

2. " I don't give one single damn if you agree or not those are OUR reasons."
The beauty of an internet forum is that I among others don't have to give a single damn either.

3. All I see in response to people's reasons as to why they prefer the Gen 1 is a bunch of butthurt snowflake Gen 2

My comment initially sparked a struck nerve with you, so it's pretty interesting to say this. Regardless, you're in a Gen 2 section with a bunch of brand new Gen 2 owners knitpicking over doorhandles and turn signal stalks as if A, you're literally trying to convince yourself and others that a second generation was a bad thing or two make 2nd gen guys feel bad about their purchase? I don't really know. I don't really care either lol

It is beyond me how a thread like this has went this many pages in the Gen 2 section and not the Gen 1 section to begin with.
See that is just it. He said don't worry about price why else do you stick to the Gen 1. We told him. You don't like it. Nobody said it is a bad thing nor are we trying to convince ourselves of anything. That is your thought process that you are putting onto us. All in all you are trying to apply some weird sort of psychology where there is none other than your own head.
It has gone on in the Gen 2 section as that is where it was asked and is relevant.
You keep harping about the Gen 2 section as if it is an exclusive territory for Gen 2 owners only. Should everybody stick to their make model and trim level discussions as well?
I get bent out of shape when I have some wingnut telling me (and the others that just don't want them) that the only reason I/we possibly couldn't prefer a Gen 2 is because I/we can't get or afford one. That is total bullshit.
soundman98 (11-16-2022), weederr33 (11-15-2022), x808drifter (11-16-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #821
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:
I'm just making fun. Can't take this too seriously.

What year is yours? My 18' 86 had pretty much the same interior. Going from a 13 to that car was like going from a Honda to a Rolls. Especially with the updated climate control.

However, not a single positive thing to say about those headunits. I don't know if my car was a flake but I could never listen to any audio unless my phone was directly plugged into the headunit. Bluetooth would work for maybe 10-15 minutes then stop working.
Its a refresh BRZ, 17+ at least. You can tell with the HVAC knobs being knurled round plastic instead of the nut shaped ones that the 86 and pre-refresh BRZ's got (and that mini digital screen)

I dont think any of the head units were any good in either cars. The pioneer ones with the blue backlight and touchscreen (guessing from16-19)are probably the best ones (good sound quality....basic features though). The 2020 one kind of sucks (not alot of bass, a bit tinny, and apple carplay connection is somewhat wonky...could be my cable though). Not sure about the Subaru side, but they may have been more full featured and a bit better.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #822
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Its a refresh BRZ, 17+ at least. You can tell with the HVAC knobs being knurled round plastic instead of the nut shaped ones that the 86 and pre-refresh BRZ's got (and that mini digital screen)

I dont think any of the head units were any good in either cars. The pioneer ones with the blue backlight and touchscreen (guessing from16-19)are probably the best ones (good sound quality....basic features though). The 2020 one kind of sucks (not alot of bass, a bit tinny, and apple carplay connection is somewhat wonky...could be my cable though). Not sure about the Subaru side, but they may have been more full featured and a bit better.
If you use the adapter to hook up the amp in the 2020 it is on par with or slightly better than all the rest as far as bass goes.
Subaru is well known for crappy HUs no matter what model though so these are no different.
Dadhawk (11-15-2022), x808drifter (11-16-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #823
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey now, that's my car there..

Well, everything except the headunit. I swapped it out for a 2014 Pioneer BeSpoke unit once those owners starting dumping them on the market. Since I pretty much use it only for audiobooks and nav, it has served me well.

However, that "old school" headunit was perfectly functional for audio.

As far as the HVAC controls, well I like my big Tonka truck knobs. They get the job done. Of course, I also like the ones in later models too. Honestly I can't say I've really cared about HVAC controls until recently when they stopped being real buttons or knobs and turned into iPad controls on newer cars. No thanks.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-16-2022), VoltsFRS2013 (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #824
VoltsFRS2013

Garage
Quote:

Well, everything except the headunit. I swapped it out for a 2014 Pioneer BeSpoke unit once those owners starting dumping them on the market. Since I pretty much use it only for audiobooks and nav, it has served me well.

As far as the HVAC controls, well I like my big Tonka truck knobs. They get the job done. Of course, I also like the ones in later models too. Honestly I can't say I've really cared about HVAC controls until recently when they stopped being real buttons or knobs and turned into iPad controls on newer cars. No thanks.
I 100% Agree. Car that comes to mind is pretty much every new VW / Audi If I'm not mistaken. Terrible design imo and I don't think it's something I'd ever get used to. I see a lot of folks on here who complain about the gen 2 stalk not going back down like a BMW. That to me is such a first world complaint, but flat fake buttons...

Also, the headunit in your car is probably lightyears in function better than the head unit in the outgoing 17-20 ROFL. No BS. Even the 22+ from my experience the Apple Carplay will sometimes randomly decide it doesn't want to function anymore and restart while you're in the middle of using your GPS, music, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 11:25 AM   #825
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
One major reason I'm picking Gen 2 over a Gen 1 is, locally I cannot find a Gen 1 that hasn't been "upgraded" with distasteful mods, or has 74k miles and asking $28k. I like the Gen 2 styling, and the Neptune Blue is a fun color. If there was a reasonably priced Gen 1 with no mods, then I'd pick Gen 1... but given the used car market is still broken, Gen 2 is still my choice.
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-15-2022), soundman98 (11-16-2022), Tcoat (11-15-2022), Teseo (11-17-2022), x808drifter (11-16-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 11:27 AM   #826
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:

I hated the first gen base knobs. they were super duper cheap. Sure its functional but it looks like something taken out of a Yaris. Im not going to knock it for being a mechanical connection though so you feel the clunks of such a mechanical system. But overall It dumbed down the look of the interior for me.
Thats why i liked the dual HVAC knobs. Its still plasticky but less cheap feeling, but it made the icentre stack look a helluva lot better.

The 2nd gen knobs are still plasticky but they're big and they have a satisfyingly clickiness to its rotation giving it a more solid/sturdy feel to them.

But i must agree on the "everything is controlled by the ipad" situation that is taking over the car world. Its a horrible design decision. I had a honda fit with touch volume controls and it was a laggy POS. I hated it.

Hell even the touchscreen infotainment in the 2020 Head unit annoys me. Its especially irritating when the touch slider is used to scroll through the alphabet for quick search...and i can never hold it in place long enough to stay at a letter without having to take my eyes off the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-15-2022)