follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #29
whitefrs
Love Boost!!!!!!!!

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuning View Post
Here is our modular 3" dual/single cat-back exhaust that we developed for our turbo system and NA applications too. The system can be configured as either a driver's side single or symmetrical dual system. The NA version is in-stock and can be used on FI applications with a 2.5" front pipe. We're working on the final production 3" mid-pipe right now and will offer the full 3" cat-back system for sale shortly.

All of our exhaust systems utilize true mandrel-bent sections rather than multiple bends welded together. This not only looks better, but flows better and has fewer potential points of failure. Everything is T304 stainless steel and not 409 series stainless. We use custom spec mufflers for this system rather than off-the-shelf Vibrant, Borla, or 409 series Magnaflow mufflers. Our exhaust systems are all made in the USA and come fully polished.

NA 3" Version shown:

i had ur exhaust on my tC and i loved it

i wish u had a 3 inch ecxhaust from overpipe to muffler
Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #30
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm bouncing between a couple options. The big roadblock at the moment is the header. I like the Nameless or FA20Club design. But I'm going to be running the Robispec radiator/oil cooler system so I'm worried about clearance. The problem is that it's tough to find a good EL 4-2-1 header. The HKS looks like a good choice, but it's pricey for a catless header.

Grumble-grumble.

The catback is up in the air since I want something with volume and good tone because I'll only have 1 high flow cat. But I don't want it so loud that I can't enjoy that twin-screw whine. The ARK exhausts look and sound great. And that pTuning exhaust looks good too, but I haven't heard it yet. My biggest concern that is that the axleback flange isn't the lowest point. I've already damaged my Accelerated Performance catback because of that issue.

So we'll see. Lots of choices. Lots of worries.

But if someone were to make me choose at this very moment, it'd be:
HKS EL catless header
Nameless catted over/front with resonator
ARK GRiP catback

But as always, choices are subject to change until they're paid for.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #31
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
on vortech have ark test pipe and grip catback
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #32
invzabomaster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks like the turbo heads are going with 3" diameter exhausts. I'm curious if the super charger heads are going with 3" exhaust too. Me thinking is that turbos provide the neccessary back pressure, therefore they can go 3" no problem. But, SC setups don't have anything inline to give back pressure, other than the cat and exhaust itself. So would a 3" exhaust be too big for a say, factory TRD super charger ?
invzabomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #33
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invzabomaster View Post
Looks like the turbo heads are going with 3" diameter exhausts. I'm curious if the super charger heads are going with 3" exhaust too. Me thinking is that turbos provide the neccessary back pressure, therefore they can go 3" no problem. But, SC setups don't have anything inline to give back pressure, other than the cat and exhaust itself. So would a 3" exhaust be too big for a say, factory TRD super charger ?
There is no such thing as 'necessary backpressure'. This point is arguable in the context of NA cars, as depending on cam timing and other factors some cars rely on a bit of back pressure to aid in improving volumetric efficiency.

With a boosted car the intake manifold is under pressure, so the old volumetric efficiency math goes out the window, and you pretty much just want to get the exhaust out of there as quickly as possible. On a turbo car you want even less, as turbine efficiency is improved across the board by lower exhaust backpressure after the turbo (turbos work on pressure differential between the exhaust manifold and downpipe).

Unfortunately none of the currently available supercharger kits make enough power to really require anything bigger than 2.5" exhaust (300whp is the general rule as to when 3" becomes beneficial).
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
invzabomaster (07-22-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #34
ptuning

Drives: White FR-S
Thanked 1,003 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefrs View Post
i had ur exhaust on my tC and i loved it

i wish u had a 3 inch ecxhaust from overpipe to muffler
Glad you liked our tC exhaust. Our FR-S exhaust system is built with the same quality production techniques and materials as our tC stuff.

After we finish with our 3" midpipe, we'll develop a 3" frontpipe too.
ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #35
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Since a 3inch overpipe wont fit how close to 3inches can you get? 2.75?
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #36
ptuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I'm bouncing between a couple options. The big roadblock at the moment is the header. I like the Nameless or FA20Club design. But I'm going to be running the Robispec radiator/oil cooler system so I'm worried about clearance. The problem is that it's tough to find a good EL 4-2-1 header. The HKS looks like a good choice, but it's pricey for a catless header.

Grumble-grumble.

The catback is up in the air since I want something with volume and good tone because I'll only have 1 high flow cat. But I don't want it so loud that I can't enjoy that twin-screw whine. The ARK exhausts look and sound great. And that pTuning exhaust looks good too, but I haven't heard it yet. My biggest concern that is that the axleback flange isn't the lowest point. I've already damaged my Accelerated Performance catback because of that issue.

So we'll see. Lots of choices. Lots of worries.

But if someone were to make me choose at this very moment, it'd be:
HKS EL catless header
Nameless catted over/front with resonator
ARK GRiP catback

But as always, choices are subject to change until they're paid for.
Our exhaust system produces a deep, mellow exhaust tone without any rasp. The thing to keep in mind when shopping for a 3" exhaust for a FI application is finding one that has a true 3" internal diameter all the way through the muffler without chambers, etc.

Chambered mufflers, convoluted exhaust routing, and constricted or heavily louvered mufflers will affect your hp potential, especially on a higher powered turbo applications.

Our exhaust is positioned as close to the rear subframe as is physically possible with a 3" tube.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ptuning For This Useful Post:
dabocx (07-21-2013), Draco-REX (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #37
ptuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabocx View Post
Since a 3inch overpipe wont fit how close to 3inches can you get? 2.75?
We haven't really tried fitting a 3" overpipe, since our turbo system uses an optimized 2.5" overpipe for our turbine inlet. However, it seems that shops that have tried have gone with a 2.75" overpipe.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #38
invzabomaster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
3" exhaust or 2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post

Unfortunately none of the currently available supercharger kits make enough power to really require anything bigger than 2.5" exhaust (300whp is the general rule as to when 3" becomes beneficial).
Some Vortech SC guys getting 400hp, right?
invzabomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #39
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invzabomaster View Post
Some Vortech SC guys getting 400hp, right?
The highest I've seen was 360 on e85.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
invzabomaster (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #40
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Intrested in seeing how that ptuning setup sounds with a catless front pipe and the turbo kit.

hint hint
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #41
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
I'm going with JDL UEL header - stock over pipe - Tsudo catted front pipe - ARK DT-S Exhaust. Running the Innovate S/C. Hoping its not too loud or there will be a change made somewhere in the system.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #42
ptuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabocx View Post
Intrested in seeing how that ptuning setup sounds with a catless front pipe and the turbo kit.

hint hint
Our shop car is being put back together with all of our production turbo system parts, including our full 3" exhaust. As soon as we get everything in place, we'll make another video. It'll likely be one of the quieter straight-through 3" exhaust systems on the market.
The Following User Says Thank You to ptuning For This Useful Post:
dabocx (07-22-2013)