follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-01-2023, 08:45 AM   #3585
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The circus comes to town this week. I just checked there are a few tickets left but not many. It amazes me people are willing to pay that much to see a race. All the seats I saw left were $1000+ and campus pass (no seat) almost $600. Just dam.

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:49 PM   #3586
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post
The circus comes to town this week. I just checked there are a few tickets left but not many. It amazes me people are willing to pay that much to see a race. All the seats I saw left were $1000+ and campus pass (no seat) almost $600. Just dam.
A scheduling conflict prevented me attending the Montreal GP this year... but checking ticket prices they were up ~40% from what I paid in 2018.

This was Grandstand seating, which is uncovered and not individual seats (you're packed like sardines on long benches).

Airfare and Airbnb rates were also way up. The trip would have cost me ~$1100 more than last time.

I'd love to go again, but it's getting ridiculous.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wolffbite For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 12:56 PM   #3587
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Good thing the Indy, WEC, and MotoGP races were good. I am done with F1TV and watching F1, I'll go back to just catching the cliffnotes on the youtube highlights. When it's good it's great, then there is the rest of the time.
Stephen W. (05-01-2023), wolffbite (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 01:07 PM   #3588
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,449 Times in 965 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
A scheduling conflict prevented me attending the Montreal GP this year... but checking ticket prices they were up ~40% from what I paid in 2018.

This was Grandstand seating, which is uncovered and not individual seats (you're packed like sardines on long benches).

Airfare and Airbnb rates were also way up. The trip would have cost me ~$1100 more than last time.

I'd love to go again, but it's getting ridiculous.
I hear ya! Saw most of the GP's at Mosport and all the ones in Montreal up until 2001. The prices were starting to go up by then.
In 1999 the wife and I had started trailering our bikes south to ride the mountains in GA, NC, SC, and TN. It became more important to spend the money for 7-10 days riding than a weekend watching an F1 race from some lousy grand stand in who knows what kind of weather. Funny, bad weather didn't bother us riding... hehehe
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-01-2023), The Red One (05-01-2023), wolffbite (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 01:47 PM   #3589
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
The prices are definitely looking to be just a cash grab at these races.
I used to get free tickets from my neighbour or work back in the 80’s.
I get a kick just listening to the absurdities I hear onsite from some of the spectators with no F1 let alone any racing knowledge.

I enjoy the local races at Tremblant for 20$ to 35$ including track side parking more that attending the F1 circuit.
Last year we had General admission F1 tickets and were quite discouraged there were no more good views of the track left that was $ thrown away.
I have grandstand tickets for the Friday practice this year just because I came across a good discount around new years.
I don’t really plan on getting a sore butt & back sitting on the bench all day as it is such a nice park
I walk around and the pits for support racers is still open & free and worth a looky.

I was disappointed In the Baku race.
Much of the action we had in previous races there never materialised.
Limited passing even with those long straights.
Those close walls were quite intimidating to see, I was afraid for my own paint just watching them do that for 50 laps.
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (05-01-2023), NoHaveMSG (05-01-2023), Stephen W. (05-01-2023), wolffbite (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 02:38 PM   #3590
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Good thing the Indy, WEC, and MotoGP races were good. I am done with F1TV and watching F1, I'll go back to just catching the cliffnotes on the youtube highlights. When it's good it's great, then there is the rest of the time.
I basically just watch qualifying live (if timezone allows), and race highlights. Sitting through a full race where top 3 are almost the same every time, and mid-field battles are barely covered just isn't worth my time.

This weekend I didn't realize was sprint race (which I already think is silly) on steroids with that extra sprint quali shoot-out. It just seems like way more opportunity to break the cars for no reason, which already have such limited spare parts before grid penalties.

I get they are trying things to make it more exciting... but I think this completely misses the mark.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wolffbite For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 02:39 PM   #3591
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Baku: flat out straight, 90° turn. Flat out straight, 90° turn.

So. Boring. I understand that city streets are pretty grid like, but this track especially bland.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:51 PM   #3592
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
I basically just watch qualifying live (if timezone allows), and race highlights. Sitting through a full race where top 3 are almost the same every time, and mid-field battles are barely covered just isn't worth my time.

This weekend I didn't realize was sprint race (which I already think is silly) on steroids with that extra sprint quali shoot-out. It just seems like way more opportunity to break the cars for no reason, which already have such limited spare parts before grid penalties.

I get they are trying things to make it more exciting... but I think this completely misses the mark.
I usually just watch the race later on my Ipad while doing chores around the house or cooking. I can even tolerate a team dominating, but as you said, little coverage of the other battles make it lame.

I am not a fan of the sprint format as it seems most people are not. I think the current knockout format is great. It's one of the reasons I actually like Monaco, watching them push the limits in quali there is amazing.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:28 PM   #3593
The Red One

6 different teams in same amount of quail positions,
Max in 9th, Ham in 13th.
Makes for some good passing tomorrow.

Good to see HAAS/KMag & Alpine/GAS up the grid for the start.

Looks to be hot in more ways than just the weather.

A different read about F1 and all the hardships people think they should
not have to endure and dissatisfaction about the US marketing of the races:

https://jalopnik.com/f1s-us-race-str...und-1850374011
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (05-07-2023), NoHaveMSG (05-07-2023), Spuds (05-06-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 10:45 AM   #3594
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I spent a lot of time at COTA. MotoGP for years. WEC for several races until they abandoned the night racing. But my interest in subjecting myself to the ticket prices, crush of bodies, gouging hotels and concessions for a glimpse of the F1 circus has cooled a lot.

From my family room or phone or computer I can see the WHOLE track and, although some may disagree, I quite like F1TV’s commentary personnel.

I still think COTA is a great place for race watching. But I’m getting too old for the insanity that F1 has become.
NoHaveMSG (05-07-2023), Stephen W. (05-07-2023), The Red One (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 11:08 AM   #3595
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I watched qualifying yesterday. Lewis certainly missed the mark. I will say this, they made a parking lot at a football stadium look quite nice and very tropical. LOL For those that don't know, it's not the greatest area of Miami.

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:14 PM   #3596
The Red One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I spent a lot of time at COTA. MotoGP for years. WEC for several races until they abandoned the night racing. But my interest in subjecting myself to the ticket prices, crush of bodies, gouging hotels and concessions for a glimpse of the F1 circus has cooled a lot.

From my family room or phone or computer I can see the WHOLE track and, although some may disagree, I quite like F1TV’s commentary personnel.

I still think COTA is a great place for race watching. But I’m getting too old for the insanity that F1 has become.
Im subscribed to F1TV for the past few years and amazed at the quality of the production and being able to watch it from your phone when you just have to be out and about..
Today we had David Coulthard as a commentator as well with his insight..

Side note on Scots:
I was always entertained by the Scottish accent as my dad had a golf friend that would get invited quite regularly for supper when I was a young boy,
I could no longer follow his jokes as the accent became stronger as the night went on …
My dad would tell me next day he could not understand him either at the end of the evening.

When Miami was announced I played with the idea of a visit but COTA looks to be the better Spectacle to be watching some out of town racing.

Good racing was done today, not one DNF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (05-09-2023), Spuds (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 12:27 AM   #3597
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red One View Post
Im subscribed to F1TV for the past few years and amazed at the quality of the production and being able to watch it from your phone when you just have to be out and about..
Today we had David Coulthard as a commentator as well with his insight..

Side note on Scots:
I was always entertained by the Scottish accent as my dad had a golf friend that would get invited quite regularly for supper when I was a young boy,
I could no longer follow his jokes as the accent became stronger as the night went on …
My dad would tell me next day he could not understand him either at the end of the evening.

When Miami was announced I played with the idea of a visit but COTA looks to be the better Spectacle to be watching some out of town racing.

Good racing was done today, not one DNF.
Been considering ditching the live TV subscription I have and just picking up the F1 subscription since that's really all I watch. Definitely cheaper that way. How do you like it?
Old 05-08-2023, 06:57 PM   #3598
The Red One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
How do you like it?
.. Simple question, reason to ramble on…

I don’t watch TV at all! Yet I did 5 yrs of Internet & IPTV 3rd line support for the biggest telecom co here.
That job interview at the time was quite fun with much questioning around that lol .
My boss later told me he was afraid I would tell the customers they don’t need no f****g TV if I could not resolve the issue.

Being retired & single now my budget on subscriptions is quite low.

I don’t follow traditional sports and find proper coverage of the sports I have interest in
non existent on the usual TV sport channel scheduling. Ski/aerials, F1, Cycling, Rally.

For my viewing needs the F1 TV fills that F1 interest and im not a slave to the scheduling.
They have the old race seasons going back far 70’s and documentaries in their archive.
Pre race shows can be instructive when you have time for that.
They have a few $ off on new subscription some time in Jan/Feb for the past few years.
A monthly subscription is available.
I need to dull down my video setting by a notch or else it becomes somewhat choppy depending what device im using.

Before that I used to go watch the race at my brothers as none of my friends watch any racing.

I miss the real sound of F1
Bygone days and a good reason my hearing is going.

V10 :

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (05-09-2023), Spuds (05-08-2023)

Tags
no mikey nooo, supersupermaxmax, waawaaalewis