follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #631
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
"The kit will be a simple “depin and play” solution where the factory ECU plug will need the two CAN wires depinned and pluged into the provided wiring harness. The wiring harness provided will then repin into the ECU connector and plug into the DLC for the GM (or any other!) ECU. If it’s CAN based we can make it work!"

That is out fucking standing!! Nice work guys, and thank you so much for allowing us unwashed masses to follow along.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (09-29-2016), cf6mech (09-29-2016), civicdrivr (10-03-2016), Insurme1 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #632
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You know.....I got privately....a rash of sh*t from the last can-bus guy......actual threats as well.......because....i guess his product could work......but im treating this whole build thread.....I guess..... the way a news reporter reports the news......just telling it like it is......blow for blow.....ups and downs.....have made many friends along the way......and have lost friends along the way.....have also it seems made enemys as well.........the sadest part is the fall out with Vorshlag......who even though we dont talk.....I continue to praise their work......why you may ask even in my opinion on a personal level they did me wrong..... and please,please,please trust me it was only personal......one could argue on either side ....Im big enough to say there is their side of the story as well.....and maybe I deserved it........I would like to believe I didnt......on any account its in the past......and what matters is FLAT out these guys are complete pros and with a ton of research you will not find a better one stop shop place that is better for engine swap conversions....NONE.....so going back to this thread i have hopefully made this thread as a guide for those to follow in my footsteps and to pursue this with no snags with honest reporting of results......the last piece of the puzzle has been solved......only one thing remains for me......sway bars.....two ways i can go with this......leave them off and play with spring rates.....which will further diminish streetability and make the car lean more towards race car.....or ditch my awesume long tube headers and go with the OEM location for the bar.......track day is coming up to prove the car on track.......its been a long and trying trip.......little caveat.....I own two cars.....the FRS.....and a 2013 Mazda Speed3,.....the Speed has nonracing comfortable seats.....nice stereo....Bose speakers....good gas mileage staying off boost..kick ass airconditioning.....very fun to drive in itself.......it was in the high 90's all last month........guess which car Ive been driving an half an hour one way each day to work?... rain or shine blistering Texas heat
.......cant stop driving the FRS...pick those keys every day LOL!......got to double check but Im pretty sure im approaching 8k trouble free miles running the Vorshlag conversion.....only addition non Vorshlag was a oil cooler.....yes you will need one.

Last edited by cf6mech; 09-29-2016 at 08:53 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
Calum (09-29-2016), Lonewolf (09-30-2016), MaximeT (09-29-2016), wooly35 (09-30-2016), Zer0 (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #633
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
"The kit will be a simple “depin and play” solution where the factory ECU plug will need the two CAN wires depinned and pluged into the provided wiring harness. The wiring harness provided will then repin into the ECU connector and plug into the DLC for the GM (or any other!) ECU. If it’s CAN based we can make it work!"

That is out fucking standing!! Nice work guys, and thank you so much for allowing us unwashed masses to follow along.

Working out details and hiccups now. We are still a bit off from a "production" hardware and software set with 100% functionality, but the basics are there and if someone just wants the basics we can talk.
Calum (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #634
modernbeat
Vorshlag R&D

Drives: A new one every month
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
....only one thing remains for me......sway bars.....two ways i can go with this......leave them off and play with spring rates.....which will further diminish streetability and make the car lean more towards race car.....or ditch my awesume long tube headers and go with the OEM location for the bar.....
Swaybar is coming Rick. We're just developing it on another car.
civicdrivr (10-03-2016), DustinS (10-12-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #635
cf6mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
Swaybar is coming Rick. We're just developing it on another car.
Can i buy it though?.....how is the ground clearance with the brackets?....the only trouble with the kit was ground clearance....the lack of.......due to how low the exhaust hung around Tremec and the cats......temporarilly fixed via gorilla maintence..LOL..Mike Talbot had the same issues with his long tube headers. ended up installing 100% oval exhaust....I dont think it needs 100%. oval just by the Tremec because the tunnel is full there......not talking hella flush crowd stuff.....talking slightly lower than stock and scrapping with minor imperfectjons of the road.....until I fixed it.....im afraid the brackets would be a ground clearance issue as well looking at the preliminary pics.......hope you all take this correctly as positive feedback......and nof the wrong way.

Last edited by cf6mech; 10-01-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #636
wooly35

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S LS3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
I spoke to Terry from Vorshlag today he said the first batch of mounts are getting powder coated. They should be for sale shortly. I'm going to start looking at their site daily to see when it gets announced they are for sale.
This makes me happy. my transmission will be in Monday! ha ha
cf6mech (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 03:56 AM   #637
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly35 View Post
This makes me happy. my transmission will be in Monday! ha ha
I never got a tracking number yet. Not sure when mine is set to arrive. Probably around the same time. The shipping company did call the UPS Store I was having it shipped to, so they could make sure they received freight. At least that's what ups told me. They had no real specific information to give me.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #638
wooly35

Quote:
I never got a tracking number yet. Not sure when mine is set to arrive. Probably around the same time. The shipping company did call the UPS Store I was having it shipped to, so they could make sure they received freight. At least that's what ups told me. They had no real specific information to give me.
I never got a tracking number, email, phone call. Nothing. The freight company called the business I'm having it shipped to instead of me... Which was fine, but it has been almost two weeks of not hearing anything from anyone. I'm just glad it is finally going to be here Monday..
Zer0 (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #639
Zer0

Quote:
I never got a tracking number, email, phone call. Nothing. The freight company called the business I'm having it shipped to instead of me... Which was fine, but it has been almost two weeks of not hearing anything from anyone. I'm just glad it is finally going to be here Monday..
Do you know the name of the freight company?. I wouldn't mind calling so I can get a delivery date
Old 10-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #640
wooly35

Quote:
Do you know the name of the freight company?. I wouldn't mind calling so I can get a delivery date
I don't know the name of the freight company. I wish they would have called me, but they only had the number of my girlfriends business... and yes, I'm having all my parts delivered to my girlfriends daycare. ha ha ha

Ill see if I can get her to take the name and number of the company when they deliver the tranny.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #641
wooly35

Quote:
I got it. The company is called Dayton Freight.
Zer0 (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 05:09 AM   #642
Zer0

Quote:
I got it. The company is called Dayton Freight.
Thank you That should help me find out when it will arrive. Did you get your spot welds all out?
Old 10-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #643
wooly35

Quote:
Thank you That should help me find out when it will arrive. Did you get your spot welds all out?
Yes I did. It wasn't pretty, but I got them out. I'm relocating my battery today. I want to get the fuel pump upgraded as soon as possible. Do you know what fuel pump we need for this swap?
Old 10-03-2016, 03:39 AM   #644
cf6mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
Can i buy it though?.....how is the ground clearance with the brackets?....the only trouble with the kit was ground clearance....the lack of.......due to how low the exhaust hung around Tremec and the cats......temporarilly fixed via gorilla maintence..LOL..Mike Talbot had the same issues with his long tube headers. ended up installing 100% oval exhaust....I dont think it needs 100%. oval just by the Tremec because the tunnel is full there......not talking hella flush crowd stuff.....talking slightly lower than stock and scrapping with minor imperfectjons of the road.....until I fixed it.....im afraid the brackets would be a ground clearance issue as well looking at the preliminary pics.......hope you all take this correctly as positive feedback......and nof the wrong way.
Ok....as usual, took it wrongly. Tone and sincerity is really hard to produce.....at least for me in the written word

Closed Thread