follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

View Poll Results: Will you buy first year?
Buy first year 41 32.03%
Wait for second year 87 67.97%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #43
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I put down a deposit on the weekend of its announcement.

So yes.

I also bought an 86 first year, and while people complain about the this and that, my car was perfect. Not even a single rattle after 8 years.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (01-21-2021), ng-86 (01-21-2021), StE92ve (01-22-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 09:52 PM   #44
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I’d definitely buy a Toyota first year. Not sure about other makes.

Do I want this second gen? Oh good God yes! I do. I don’t “dig” the Honda looking back lights (from YouTube vids) but I still would love to have a rear camera and more torque na stock car.

I love mine (2014) and what little things I’ve done with it, so I’ll hold out a few years into the second generation....

Now the actual tough question is, “should I buy the 4 cylinder Supra?”

The FRS 2.0 is on my mind, no doubt, but the 4 cyl Supra is the only one that calls me nonstop. Saw a pearl white wrapped GR the other day on drive from LA... ooof. Instant love... I just don’t think I’d enjoy the automatic driving on a daily basis. Yeah, I’ve test driven them.
Blighty (01-19-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #45
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
I'd like to know when the performance package is coming back and what form it will take before deciding. That may be too long a wait though.
Same. I'll wait to see what the "performance" version looks like and may upgrade eventually. I'm fine with my 2017 PP for a while.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:40 AM   #46
Blighty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Same. I'll wait to see what the "performance" version looks like and may upgrade eventually. I'm fine with my 2017 PP for a while.
If your an existing owner (I had to sell mine this year), I reckon you might be well served waiting for the final edition run in 3 or 4 years.

Because if they continue the car after that, I imagine its going to be electric or a hybrid with a really small ICE.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 06:39 AM   #47
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
If your an existing owner (I had to sell mine this year), I reckon you might be well served waiting for the final edition run in 3 or 4 years.
You really think they went to all this trouble with the new engine just to ditch it in 3-4 years? I reckon the FA24 is here to stay until the gen2 twins are discontinued, which I reckon will be 7-8 years.

Quote:
Because if they continue the car after that, I imagine its going to be electric or a hybrid with a really small ICE.
Nah, if we see a gen3 maybe, but I can’t see them re-engineering and re-developing such a small volume sports car with a hybrid or electric engine after just 3-4 years. There is no need, even Europe isn’t planning on banning the sale of new ICE cars until 2030 at the earliest. No reason to try and cram an electric or hybrid engine in the twins before then. To what purpose?
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #48
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
There is no need, even Europe isn’t planning on banning the sale of new ICE cars until 2030 at the earliest. No reason to try and cram an electric or hybrid engine in the twins before then. To what purpose?
Actually, earliest is 2025 (Norway), and there are a couple of others before 2030, but they aren't full bans like Norway is.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #49
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Now the actual tough question is, “should I buy the 4 cylinder Supra?”
The answer for you (the only one that should matter) is, drive it, and if you like it, buy it. You are the only one who needs to be happy with your choice.

But otherwise, I think the answer is no. I would never in any parallel universe or dimension ever consider buying a 4 cylinder Supra. But that's just me.

I would also suspect that if someone is happy with a BRZ/86, they might not be happy with a Supra. While superficially there are similarities (small 2 seat sports car), there are also fundamental differences. One is a lightweight, simple, flingable, inexpensive sports car with a manual transmission; the other is a BMW tourer with different skin and automatic transmission only.

For me, a manual transmission is an absolute must-have (at least as long as my aging bones and slowly progressing arthritis can still drive a stick). An automatic is just a sterile, soulless transportation appliance to me. The day will come when I can no longer push in a clutch without unacceptable pain. But that day is not today.

I personally like the styling of the Supra, even if it is more cramped inside than the BRZ/86. But I also wouldn't want all the maintenance and reliability headaches that can come with a BMW (been there, done that, sued BMW (and won) under a Lemon Law statute, won't go there again). But even though the Supra is just a (admittedly good looking) reskinned Z4 in drag, I'd still consider it - but only if the 6 cylinder version was available with a stick.

But back to the original point - if you like it, then it's right for you.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #50
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You really think they went to all this trouble with the new engine just to ditch it in 3-4 years? I reckon the FA24 is here to stay until the gen2 twins are discontinued, which I reckon will be 7-8 years.

Nah, if we see a gen3 maybe, but I can’t see them re-engineering and re-developing such a small volume sports car with a hybrid or electric engine after just 3-4 years. There is no need, even Europe isn’t planning on banning the sale of new ICE cars until 2030 at the earliest. No reason to try and cram an electric or hybrid engine in the twins before then. To what purpose?
I think what he meant was when the final edition (revision) run starts in like 4 years from now, which will last until the end of the 2020's before they change to EV or something for the 2030's.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #51
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Except that there might not be any 'refresh' with this second-generation BRZ.
So true, there’s no guarantees with this. I remember the 200SX/Silvia (S15) when they came out, I really thought about getting one. But I put it off and spent money on practical things and thought I’d get one “some day”. Then all of a sudden they stopped making them. Model run was from ‘99 to ‘02.

I still kick myself for not getting one and now they’re increasing in value and are worth more than 350Zs, which were more expensive at the time. One of the reasons I got in early with the 1st gen twin, I didn’t want to make the same mistake.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 01-22-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:42 PM   #52
Blighty

Garage
Quote:

Yeah I do think they will end production by 2025.

Its not just the outright bans, its the amount that restrictions are tightening from 2025 for those places without bans - your looking at luxury cars (where they can pay money to be dirty) and hybrids and ultra small turbo engines being the only place where ICE will exist. Then that ending mostly in 2030, and then completely by 2035.

These models aren't made for volume, they are made as icons for the brand. They wont re-engineer it that fast correct, they will just stop it.

My guess is that a rebooted Celica (outed recently in trademarks) is the electric model they are planning to take over the low cost sports car segment for them.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #53
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
So true, there’s no guarantees with this. I remember the 200SX/Silvia (S15) when they came out, I really thought about getting one. But I put it off and spent money on practical things and thought I’d get one “some day”. Then all of a sudden they stopped making them. Model run was from ‘99 to ‘02.

I still kick myself for not getting one and now they’re increasing in value and are worth more than 350Zs, which were more expensive at the time. One of the reasons I got in early with the 1st gen twin, I didn’t want to make the same mistake.

I’m still waiting for the turbo Sti version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:14 AM   #54
StE92ve

Drives: 2014 Mazda CX-5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm wondering what the break down looks like of those that currently have a twin vs those that don't.
StE92ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:10 PM   #55
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkdown View Post
I’m still waiting for the turbo Sti version.

that's really never going to happen, especially considering the ICE ban coming at 2035. there's not enough space for an OEM to do it as the car sits right now, so it would require a change in the chassis.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #56
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
that's really never going to happen, especially considering the ICE ban coming at 2035. there's not enough space for an OEM to do it as the car sits right now, so it would require a change in the chassis.

I guess you didn’t hear the sarcasm out of my voice

blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackhawkdown For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-23-2021)