follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #15
slickd

Drives: 2013 silver toyota 86 (high) man.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
Not all LED replacements are appropriate for our cars because of the way they're wired up. They're connected to the ECU and there is a non zero voltage applied to the dome light hi side even when the doors are closed. This voltage may be enough to forward bias and "light" certain LEDs. I had to test multiple LED replacements to ensure they would stay off when the doors are closed before I found one that fits the bill.
Thanks for that feedback, sadly i think me having incorrectly fitted the LED or having chose the wrong LED may have led to the slight bigger problem after the burning smell. Ive been unable to follow the wiring further than the side airbag area by the a-pillar. Would you maybe be able to give me a guide as to where i could check for obvious faults (e.g damaged/melted wire) or maybe what i need to consider replacing. Ive tried replacing with standard bulbs, but unlike the LED's in 'door' position which just light up dimmer than in the 'on' position, the standard bulbs dont switch on at all when in 'door' position. Ive checked the housing of the dome light, no damage or irregularity there. Also, could you maybe advise which leds you found that correctly suit the gt86

Last edited by slickd; 04-08-2021 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Incorrect spelling
slickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #16
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickd View Post
Thanks for that feedback, sadly i think me having incorrectly fitted the LED or having chose the wrong LED may have led to the slight bigger problem after the burning smell. Ive been unable to follow the wiring further than the side airbag area by the a-pillar. Would you maybe be able to give me a guide as to where i could check for obvious faults (e.g damaged/melted wire) or maybe what i need to consider replacing. Ive tried replacing with standard bulbs, but unlike the LED's in 'door' position which just light up dimmer than in the 'on' position, the standard bulbs dont switch on at all when in 'door' position. Ive checked the housing of the dome light, no damage or irregularity there. Also, could you maybe advise which leds you found that correctly suit the gt86
Sorry, can't really help you here. Reversing LEDs shouldn't cause any harm. The only thing I can think of is if you removed the dome light module from the headliner, you may have damaged the selector for on/off/door.
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #17
slickd

Drives: 2013 silver toyota 86 (high) man.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
Sorry, can't really help you here. Reversing LEDs shouldn't cause any harm. The only thing I can think of is if you removed the dome light module from the headliner, you may have damaged the selector for on/off/door.
Thanks for the advice and feedback, much appreciated
slickd is offline   Reply With Quote