follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #533
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alone1i View Post
Bit interesting to know that, even current global pandemic situation, where people are having financial crisis, toyota-subaru still planning to release 2nd gen toyobaru. But I believe mid 2000 era had better situation than current world but toyota ceased MR2 (MR-S) and Celica production. As other senior member here said it is still in test mule state and may be not coming off. But still they are putting afford on it, making me feel very surprising.
toyota (and tesla) is like the only major automaker making money during covid so not totally surprising they are happy to continue to fund their love child
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
alone1i (08-28-2020), JesseG (08-29-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #534
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
Much like the 86/BRZ, it took a while for people to recognize how good those cars were. A friend of mine that bought an Integra Type R got a pretty good discount on it. It had been sitting in the Acura showroom for a while. People knew it was a special car, like the NSX, Supra, etc but didnt want to spend that much. I wish I had more disposable income at the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Those japanese sports cars got stupidly expensive back then.
They were creeping into the (at the time) high end/supercar pricing for what was not a high end/supercar car.

Except the NSX, that one was always a supercar competitor as far as i remember.
The ITR didn't sell because it was expensive for what it was. Objective enthusiasts passed over it waiting for the rumored WRX, or bought a pony car or whatever else. Sport Compact Car did a comparison called V8 Smackdown where they pitted the ITR against a regular Mustang GT, and the Mustang beat it in every objective test, and it was cheaper. Those mustangs sold like hotcakes despite the economic downturn. JDM enthusiasts rather just pick up a used Integra and mod it out, since you could buy a practically mint GSR back then for 10-15k, which was way less than half of that ITR.

Like the S2000CR, it became popular after the fact when rational though no longer prevailed. People want to get nolstalgic and buy these cars now that they can afford it, and while theyre at it buy the best rendition of it.

The NSX was competitive when it came out, but the 300zx, Supra, RX7, and 3000gt eclipsed it in performance, and the Euro competition caught and surpassed it. You bought the NSX because of the way it looked, plain and simple. It was an exotic bargain in 1990, by 1996 it was a good looking obsolete car.

And people back then knew what Supras could do, and when it got discotinued they held their value relatively well. Unlike the 300ZX which you could buy a good example for under 10k, the MKIV Supra never really dropped below 20k, and for the longest time hovered around 30k. F&F brought attention to it, but you didn't see cars like the Eclipse or RX7 skyrocketing in prices liek teh Supra did. What ended up happening was that they all got popular, but the Supra which was relatively already rare, became rarer as people crashed them, needed replacement parts, etc. The FD is becoming more and more expensive these day as well.

The DC2 integra has a very loyal, fanatic following, and unmolested cars are very rare, and alot have succumbed to be being stolen and stripped that these cars are becoming increasingly rare. But I'd much rather drive an S2000 or an 86 than an ITR unless I wanted to be nostalgic.

Another example would be Vipers which have also creeped up in prices lately. I remember you could buy a 96 GTS for under 30k, now you'd be hard pressed to find one under 45k. I had a buddy who bought an NSX in 97 or 98, it was a 93 IIRC (two tone... shoot it may have been a 96 because it mightve had ttops..., nah couldnt be), got it for about 25k.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:55 AM   #535
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
The ITR didn't sell because it was expensive for what it was. Objective enthusiasts passed over it waiting for the rumored WRX, or bought a pony car or whatever else. Sport Compact Car did a comparison called V8 Smackdown where they pitted the ITR against a regular Mustang GT, and the Mustang beat it in every objective test, and it was cheaper. Those mustangs sold like hotcakes despite the economic downturn. JDM enthusiasts rather just pick up a used Integra and mod it out, since you could buy a practically mint GSR back then for 10-15k, which was way less than half of that ITR.

Like the S2000CR, it became popular after the fact when rational though no longer prevailed. People want to get nolstalgic and buy these cars now that they can afford it, and while theyre at it buy the best rendition of it.

The NSX was competitive when it came out, but the 300zx, Supra, RX7, and 3000gt eclipsed it in performance, and the Euro competition caught and surpassed it. You bought the NSX because of the way it looked, plain and simple. It was an exotic bargain in 1990, by 1996 it was a good looking obsolete car.

And people back then knew what Supras could do, and when it got discotinued they held their value relatively well. Unlike the 300ZX which you could buy a good example for under 10k, the MKIV Supra never really dropped below 20k, and for the longest time hovered around 30k. F&F brought attention to it, but you didn't see cars like the Eclipse or RX7 skyrocketing in prices liek teh Supra did. What ended up happening was that they all got popular, but the Supra which was relatively already rare, became rarer as people crashed them, needed replacement parts, etc. The FD is becoming more and more expensive these day as well.

The DC2 integra has a very loyal, fanatic following, and unmolested cars are very rare, and alot have succumbed to be being stolen and stripped that these cars are becoming increasingly rare. But I'd much rather drive an S2000 or an 86 than an ITR unless I wanted to be nostalgic.

Another example would be Vipers which have also creeped up in prices lately. I remember you could buy a 96 GTS for under 30k, now you'd be hard pressed to find one under 45k. I had a buddy who bought an NSX in 97 or 98, it was a 93 IIRC (two tone... shoot it may have been a 96 because it mightve had ttops..., nah couldnt be), got it for about 25k.

I think a big part of the problem with Integra Type Rs selling was the guys who wanted them, had trouble affording them. Same thing with the S2000. And bringing up the Mustang GT is a good example of shopping for a car based on HP and torque. Ive had plenty of seat time in that era Mustang GT, and I fu**ing hate them. They really are piles of garbage. Aside from how they sound, which can be awesome. Two cars couldnt have more different approaches to performance. The ITR feels light, balanced, precise, and just alive. The GT is rattly and wobbly and the clutch and shifter are god awful. Plus you feel like you are sitting on top of them.

But anyway, I think the collector market for some of these classic Japanese sports cars will continue to grow. Like you said prices for FD RX7s in good shape are rapidly climbing. The Supra has been a legend for a long time. Stories about how much power they could make, and secret top speed runs became a phenomenon. I remember one of the earliest videos I watched on YouTube was a Supra walking away from a Hayabusa on the highway. It was mind blowing, a car shouldnt be able to walk away from one of the fastest sportbikes of all time. Whats even better about the Supra is that its such a great car, not just a highway monster. I dont think Japanese tuners went as crazy with horsepower and they focused more on the balance of the car.
Ive always been a big fan of Japanese cars, so its nice to see these really awesome cars get the spotlight. The downside is its getting more difficult to buy them. Importing from Japan is tempting, but then you have a right hand drive car.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #536
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Importing from Japan is tempting, but then you have a right hand drive car.
What’s wrong with that? Works well here and 74 other countries
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
alone1i (08-29-2020), JD001 (08-30-2020), JesseG (08-29-2020), Lantanafrs2 (01-22-2021), soundman98 (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #537
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I leased 2 new Integras- a '97 4 door with M5, leather, sunroof, nice wheels etc. and a '99 3 door with all the same content plus a rear spoiler. It was a special edition of some sort. When I went to make the deal on the first one, I think I saw the ITR and was aware of it, and actually considered it as an option for when I went over to the 3 door except I didn't like the idea of needing a spare set of wheels with winter tires. I had never owned a car with summer tires and I remembered my Mom's '90 Celica GTS had winter/summer wheels and tires and it just wasn't as if I was vaguely aware of track performance, it was just a nice car that I might have leased and returned in 3 years not realizing it was a classic in the future. I didn't read import car magazines at the time. Ended up leasing 4 Acuras over 11+ years. Honda Accord '08 V6 EX-R afterward had a significantly cheaper feel to the interior.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #538
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
I leased 2 new Integras- a '97 4 door with M5, leather, sunroof, nice wheels etc. and a '99 3 door with all the same content plus a rear spoiler. It was a special edition of some sort. When I went to make the deal on the first one, I think I saw the ITR and was aware of it, and actually considered it as an option for when I went over to the 3 door except I didn't like the idea of needing a spare set of wheels with winter tires. I had never owned a car with summer tires and I remembered my Mom's '90 Celica GTS had winter/summer wheels and tires and it just wasn't as if I was vaguely aware of track performance, it was just a nice car that I might have leased and returned in 3 years not realizing it was a classic in the future. I didn't read import car magazines at the time. Ended up leasing 4 Acuras over 11+ years. Honda Accord '08 V6 EX-R afterward had a significantly cheaper feel to the interior.

I totally understand why the DC2 Integras have such a loyal following, they are terrific cars. I really also liked the GSR trim, it was set up with some nicer features, a sun roof, leather, etc.
Honda (and Acura) absolutely ruled the import car world, and there were two kinds of ITRs at the time. Those that had been broken into/stolen, and those that would be broken into/stolen. It was insane. Even the GSR was a big target for thieves. So it was a weird combination of the ITR not being on most peoples radar, but being very much on a small group of peoples radar. I knew back then it was a unique and special car, but I realize that even more so now.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:57 AM   #539
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The ITR didn't sell because it was expensive for what it was. Objective enthusiasts passed over it waiting for the rumored WRX, or bought a pony car or whatever else. Sport Compact Car did a comparison called V8 Smackdown where they pitted the ITR against a regular Mustang GT, and the Mustang beat it in every objective test, and it was cheaper.
I remember that exact article! Given all the hype around the ITR, I thought it would at least have the faster laptimes. I do think the appeal of the ITR isn't necessarily the numbers but the driving experience and in retrospect today, I'd rather have an ITR than a similar-era Mustang GT.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #540
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Quote:
I think a big part of the problem with Integra Type Rs selling was the guys who wanted them, had trouble affording them. Same thing with the S2000. And bringing up the Mustang GT is a good example of shopping for a car based on HP and torque. Ive had plenty of seat time in that era Mustang GT, and I fu**ing hate them. They really are piles of garbage. Aside from how they sound, which can be awesome. Two cars couldnt have more different approaches to performance. The ITR feels light, balanced, precise, and just alive. The GT is rattly and wobbly and the clutch and shifter are god awful. Plus you feel like you are sitting on top of them.

But anyway, I think the collector market for some of these classic Japanese sports cars will continue to grow. Like you said prices for FD RX7s in good shape are rapidly climbing. The Supra has been a legend for a long time. Stories about how much power they could make, and secret top speed runs became a phenomenon. I remember one of the earliest videos I watched on YouTube was a Supra walking away from a Hayabusa on the highway. It was mind blowing, a car shouldnt be able to walk away from one of the fastest sportbikes of all time. Whats even better about the Supra is that its such a great car, not just a highway monster. I dont think Japanese tuners went as crazy with horsepower and they focused more on the balance of the car.
Ive always been a big fan of Japanese cars, so its nice to see these really awesome cars get the spotlight. The downside is its getting more difficult to buy them. Importing from Japan is tempting, but then you have a right hand drive car.

Yeah those new edge mustangs weren't very good, but they sold and actually alot of people like them. And lets not forget about the terminators.

I disagree with the power aspect, the supras and such were powerful for the day. 300+hp was alot in the 90s. V8 mustangs at that time were 220hp, the new edge generation was 260 for instance. Those japanese cars were amongst the fastest things you could buy. Period. Unless you're buying a viper, xj220, and a handful of super exotic stuff.

On the low end, a 180hp gsr can compete with a v8 mustsng, and wqs for less money too. It really was the heyday of the imports because they had adequate power for its time.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDonEffect For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #541
JesseG

Quote:
Yeah those new edge mustangs weren't very good, but they sold and actually alot of people like them. And lets not forget about the terminators.

I disagree with the power aspect, the supras and such were powerful for the day. 300+hp was alot in the 90s. V8 mustangs at that time were 220hp, the new edge generation was 260 for instance. Those japanese cars were amongst the fastest things you could buy. Period. Unless you're buying a viper, xj220, and a handful of super exotic stuff.

On the low end, a 180hp gsr can compete with a v8 mustsng, and wqs for less money too. It really was the heyday of the imports because they had adequate power for its time.

Agreed, they sold very well. The Mustang in my opinion has never been a very good car, until recently. But I just look for different things in a car than what they offer. In the muscle car segment I always thought the Camaro was a better car. BUT, the Mustang is a cult classic and always will be, and it has usually sold better than its competition.
Yeah the Supra turbo was powerful for its time, and even now its considered good power. The horsepower wars hadnt kicked into full drive yet. Maybe I should clarify and say the Mustang GT was a classic case of choosing a car because it has a V8. Never mind the rest of the car sucks. All cars have to compromise somewhere, I guess it just matters what parts you are ok with being compromised.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #542
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I remember that exact article! Given all the hype around the ITR, I thought it would at least have the faster laptimes. I do think the appeal of the ITR isn't necessarily the numbers but the driving experience and in retrospect today, I'd rather have an ITR than a similar-era Mustang GT.

I remember the article also, it must have left an impression on a lot of us. And I remember being kind of ticked off at it. Lol But that is auto journalism for ya! They know their reader base.
Its not even a question for me ITR over any Mustang of that time. You dont drive magazine numbers right.

The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 01:22 PM   #543
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I remember the article also, it must have left an impression on a lot of us. And I remember being kind of ticked off at it. Lol But that is auto “journalism” for ya! They know their reader base.
It’s not even a question for me ITR over any Mustang of that time. You don’t drive magazine numbers right.

Yeah it's funny how it's still the same age-old debate today. The Japanese sports cars (86/Miata) are worse in most metrics than their domestic counterparts, but are smaller, lighter and generally better to drive.

Apparently some things never change...

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-04-2020), theneptune86 (01-26-2021)
Old 10-24-2020, 12:24 AM   #544
brilliantnerd2050

Drives: IDONT HAVEONE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
These pic are awesome!!
Old 01-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #545
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Red-86 (01-22-2021), StE92ve (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #546
StE92ve

Drives: 2014 Mazda CX-5

That front end looks awesome if only shown for a brief moment in that side view mirror

Closed Thread