follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #519
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I didn't say it wasn't a popular car before the movie, in fact I was stating it sold well (for the times). I said that it did not reach legendary status until it was the star of the movie. The racing video games that came out later also introduced a whole new generation to the hype. I am very glad that you didn't seem serious when you said you "drove" them in the games.
In the movie when he gets the only 6 year old car it looked like it had been sitting in a field for 20 years but the story of the REAL car (although not as bad of a condition) is interesting because even it was not pristine nor anything close to the movie version when Lieberman started the project well before the movie. It is interesting to note that the producers didn't go looking for a Supra but more like saw it and said "let's use this but we need to change it to make it look more like a tuner car". The movie was based on the "tuner" crowds of the time but in the end the crowd changed to more closely match the fiction. Sort of a tail wagging the dog thing happened. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...nd-the-furious

I bought my 91 Talon in 92 when I was 33 years old and followed the "car scene" pretty closely. Yes, there was a following for the Supra back then but it was even smaller than what the 86 has now. The bulk of the public had no idea what it was and just didn't care. To go back to the original statement you made about making cars for "heritage" this means that the people back then made up a very tiny group. There is a much larger group interested in most of the cars you mentioned now than there was back when they were made. Perceptions are really skewed when looking back that far.
I guess much of that knowledge for these kind of cars has increased thanks to the media/internet. I am sure the 86 would have been the same if not worse of a story than the Supra if it was released back then (aside from all the new tech and modern looks). Though I had already fallen in love with this car when it was introduced early on, one of the big things that helped reel me in was reading about it all over the internet and this forum especially.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-27-2020), Tcoat (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #520
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
I guess much of that knowledge for these kind of cars has increased thanks to the media/internet. I am sure the 86 would have been the same if not worse of a story than the Supra if it was released back then (aside from all the new tech and modern looks). Though I had already fallen in love with this car when it was introduced early on, one of the big things that helped reel me in was reading about it all over the internet and this forum especially.
This is a major consideration that people that have only lived through the internet age my not understand.
We are now so used to large numbers of "enthusiasts" talking about their interests that it is easy to miss that once upon a time that same info was rare and hard to get.
Back in 92 when I got my Talon I subscribed to a magazine dedicated to Japanese sports cars. It was about 40 pages and came out once a month. I remember that at one point they made a big deal about breaking the 1,000 subscriber mark! So, that magazine reached 1,000 people once a month with about half the info that we can see a day on just this forum. The whole idea that their were thousands and thousands of people talking about any car much less the Supra on a regular basis back then is simply ludicrous.

So, now we have three sources that created the legend of the Supra. A movie, some video games and the internet. None of these things necessarily reflects the reality of what was happening 30 years ago.

In 2017 I worked with a guy that owned a 92 Supra that he bought in 1998. He paid $2,500 for it at that time since used ones were just not all that much in demand. He used to get huge offers for it since then and it wasn't even one of the most desirable years or versions. All of these offers were from young guys that just see SUPRA.
Dadhawk (08-27-2020), daiheadjai (08-31-2020), Dzmitry (08-27-2020), nikitopo (08-27-2020), NoHaveMSG (08-27-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #521
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't a popular car before the movie, in fact I was stating it sold well (for the times). I said that it did not reach legendary status until it was the star of the movie. The racing video games that came out later also introduced a whole new generation to the hype. I am very glad that you didn't seem serious when you said you "drove" them in the games.
In the movie when he gets the only 6 year old car it looked like it had been sitting in a field for 20 years but the story of the REAL car (although not as bad of a condition) is interesting because even it was not pristine nor anything close to the movie version when Lieberman started the project well before the movie. It is interesting to note that the producers didn't go looking for a Supra but more like saw it and said "let's use this but we need to change it to make it look more like a tuner car". The movie was based on the "tuner" crowds of the time but in the end the crowd changed to more closely match the fiction. Sort of a tail wagging the dog thing happened. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...nd-the-furious

I bought my 91 Talon in 92 when I was 33 years old and followed the "car scene" pretty closely. Yes, there was a following for the Supra back then but it was even smaller than what the 86 has now. The bulk of the public had no idea what it was and just didn't care. To go back to the original statement you made about making cars for "heritage" this means that the people back then made up a very tiny group. There is a much larger group interested in most of the cars you mentioned now than there was back when they were made. Perceptions are really skewed when looking back that far.

I agree that the Supra became very popular because of the movie, and it may not have reached the collector level it has without it. I didn’t know the backstory of how they sort of just stumbled on the MkIV Supra. And remember it was the Eclipse that was sort of the hero car for a while. Until excess manifold pressure blew the floor out!!! Or something I can’t even remember it was so silly. They were horrible movies and got so many things wrong about car culture, but I still like them. And Paul Walker was a really cool dude and it’s sad what happened to him, his charity was and is really awesome.
I can’t believe I didn’t mention the Skyline GTR and NSX in my Japanese collector car list!! They have both reached legendary status.
I guess my point with all of that and about heritage is that it can influence the next generation of car enthusiasts. My daughter loves the Miata and I want her to learn how to drive a manual. If only for the fact it will be the greatest theft deterrent ever in about 6 years.
And yes I said drove the Supra in Gran Turismo tongue in cheek. It did make me want to drive those cars in real life though, and luckily I’ve been able to actually drive a MkIV Supra Turbo, a good friend of mine owned one. It was even nearly unmodified! I still haven’t driven a R34 Skyline GTR, that is my ultimate hero car of all time. And the 22B but I’m not expecting to ever drive one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #522
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post

I agree, I searched for any info I could get on the twins, and read through this forum a lot. It helps to generate excitement for a car when you can easily chat with other owners. I also wonder if the twins would have done as well in the pre internet forum days.
And like Tcoat said you just couldn’t get this type of information on a car back in the day. I got my Eagle Talon in 1998, it was my first car. I only had magazines like Super Street and Sport Compact Car to get any information. I got my WRX in 2002 and the internet was becoming a bigger thing and NASIOC was a great source for info, and arguing. I still laugh out loud when I think of some of the photoshop threads on there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (08-27-2020), Tcoat (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #523
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Spotted in Japan: https://twitter.com/metal_ssk/status...653133830?s=21

It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
HKz (08-28-2020), JesseG (08-27-2020), Raven86Project (08-28-2020), Red-86 (09-01-2020), Spuds (08-27-2020), StE92ve (08-28-2020), weederr33 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 12:48 AM   #524
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Hopefully the amount of poke on those wheels remains for production ^^
Old 08-28-2020, 02:23 AM   #525
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Yeah people forget that NSXs just sat on lots, as did all the Japanese super cars of the era. Its the reason they're so shy to get back into them
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDonEffect For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #526
StE92ve

Drives: 2014 Mazda CX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Whoever took this pic, didn't know what it was!

Translated from Twitter post:
I saw this, but does anyone know what it is? !
I thought it was a new BRZ because I was wearing Ota's temporary naan, but I was making the CX-5 and Roadster Samurai so Mazda...?
8:37 AM · Aug 26, 2020· Twitter for iPhone
Retweets and comments
·
Aug 26
Replying to @Metal_ssk
It was the new BRZ!
This is the first time I've seen this kind of guy!
Metal Sasaki @Metal_ssk
·

·
Aug 26
Replying to
@NMKN79
This was the rear view w
Exactly this!
Metal Sasaki @Metal_ssk
·
Aug 26
Replying to
@su_ji_12ax7
That's right!
I encountered it by chance!
Creative Trend
@creative0311
·
Aug 27
Replying to @Metal_ssk
Fully remodeled version Subaru new BRZ development vehicle finally witnessed in Japan! Released around September 2021, safety performance improved significantly with EyeSight installed | Creative Trend https://creative311.com/?p=99717
#Subaru #NewBRZ #Subaru #New BRZ #Test car #Development vehicle #Toyota #New86 #Toyota #New GR86
Fully remodeled version Subaru new BRZ development vehicle finally witnessed in Japan! Release date is around September 2021, significantly improved safety performance with EyeSight installed | Creative Trend
Finally, the developed vehicle of the new BRZ has been tested even in Japan! Full model change version, Toyota new GR86/Subaru new BRZ, which has been frequently witnessed overseas since before, is finally on a mountain pass in Gunma prefecture...
creative311.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StE92ve For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-28-2020), spike021 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #527
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
Yeah people forget that NSXs just sat on lots, as did all the Japanese super cars of the era. Its the reason they're so shy to get back into them

Much like the 86/BRZ, it took a while for people to recognize how good those cars were. A friend of mine that bought an Integra Type R got a pretty good discount on it. It had been sitting in the Acura showroom for a while. People knew it was a special car, like the NSX, Supra, etc but didn’t want to spend that much. I wish I had more disposable income at the time!

WildCard600 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #528
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
Those japanese sports cars got stupidly expensive back then.
They were creeping into the (at the time) high end/supercar pricing for what was not a high end/supercar car.

Except the NSX, that one was always a supercar competitor as far as i remember.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #529
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StE92ve View Post
Whoever took this pic, didn't know what it was!

Translated from Twitter post:
I saw this, but does anyone know what it is? !
I thought it was a new BRZ because I was wearing Ota's temporary naan, but I was making the CX-5 and Roadster Samurai so Mazda...?
8:37 AM · Aug 26, 2020· Twitter for iPhone
Retweets and comments
·
Aug 26
Replying to @Metal_ssk
It was the new BRZ!
This is the first time I've seen this kind of guy!
Metal Sasaki @Metal_ssk
·

·
Aug 26
Replying to
@NMKN79
This was the rear view w
Exactly this!
Metal Sasaki @Metal_ssk
·
Aug 26
Replying to
@su_ji_12ax7
That's right!
I encountered it by chance!
Creative Trend
@creative0311
·
Aug 27
Replying to @Metal_ssk
Fully remodeled version Subaru new BRZ development vehicle finally witnessed in Japan! Released around September 2021, safety performance improved significantly with EyeSight installed | Creative Trend https://creative311.com/?p=99717
#Subaru #NewBRZ #Subaru #New BRZ #Test car #Development vehicle #Toyota #New86 #Toyota #New GR86
Fully remodeled version Subaru new BRZ development vehicle finally witnessed in Japan! Release date is around September 2021, significantly improved safety performance with EyeSight installed | Creative Trend
Finally, the developed vehicle of the new BRZ has been tested even in Japan! Full model change version, Toyota new GR86/Subaru new BRZ, which has been frequently witnessed overseas since before, is finally on a mountain pass in Gunma prefecture...
creative311.com
Its so generic looking im not surprised that guy didnt know what it was at first glance. Hell even i wouldnt be able to tell if it was an 86 mule at first glance, i could see some 8 series in there (general shapeliness).
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #530
alone1i
Not pro yet

Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86
Bit interesting to know that, even current global pandemic situation, where people are having financial crisis, toyota-subaru still planning to release 2nd gen toyobaru. But I believe mid 2000 era had better situation than current world but toyota ceased MR2 (MR-S) and Celica production. As other senior member here said it is still in test mule state and may be not coming off. But still they are putting afford on it, making me feel very surprising.
The Following User Says Thank You to alone1i For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #531
JesseG

Video: Toyota GR86 SPIED for the First Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Those japanese sports cars got stupidly expensive back then.
They were creeping into the (at the time) high end/supercar pricing for what was not a high end/supercar car.

Except the NSX, that one was always a supercar competitor as far as i remember.

I would say the R34 Skyline GTR, MKIV Supra Turbo, and FD RX7 all were at or near the top of their segments. I also remember the NSX being compared to supercars, and it held its own really well. I’m not sure if auto journalists at the time gave any of those cars enough praise or credit. The Supra and NSX were built to such a high standard and quality level. Not even Porsche was building that high quality of a car, and Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s were so temperamental and unreliable. I think you could argue the NSX was the very best car of the 90’s! That or the McLaren F1, but those are so ultra rare.

*I should add the Porsche 959 and Carrera GT are incredible cars, but were very exclusive and expensive

Last edited by JesseG; 08-28-2020 at 12:04 PM.
alone1i (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #532
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alone1i View Post
Bit interesting to know that, even current global pandemic situation, where people are having financial crisis, toyota-subaru still planning to release 2nd gen toyobaru. But I believe mid 2000 era had better situation than current world but toyota ceased MR2 (MR-S) and Celica production. As other senior member here said it is still in test mule state and may be not coming off. But still they are putting afford on it, making me feel very surprising.
This is more along the lines of pre-production prototype with vinyl camo wrap rather then a test mule with a new drivetrain/platform hiding under a current model shell or some other hacked up Frankenstein mismatch. Splitting hair aside, I would say they are pretty far pretty far down in R&D.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
alone1i (08-28-2020), JesseG (08-29-2020)

Closed Thread