follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #1611
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Need to buy the new one first. Still waiting on an availability date for the EL JDL.
I may look at the Nameless header? Or a clone there of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #1612
JDM4E

Drives: Honda Accord Euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What is the current status on Catted EL header? What revision is the newest and is there a dyno for that?

Also, have anybody tried Catted EL with ultra-quiet midpipe; or even with JDL Catback?

Thanks
JDM4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #1613
Nah

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs 6mt
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM4E View Post
What is the current status on Catted EL header? What revision is the newest and is there a dyno for that?

Also, have anybody tried Catted EL with ultra-quiet midpipe; or even with JDL Catback?

Thanks
that would be interesting to hear... jdl uel catless, berk op, berk hfc fp, perrin 2.5 res here... do catted headers make a difference in sound quality? lol
Nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #1614
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
JDL Equal Length header is here. If I can ever catch the Fedex truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #1615
immaculate

Drives: 2017 Audi S3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I ordered a catted UEL this spring and have to say that I have been disappointed with the fitment. When it was first installed, the bottom of the header was rubbing on the skid plate, which was very noticeable at idle and taking off from a start. Climbed back under the car, removed the skid plate, tried and mostly failed to dent the area of the skid plate that was making contact and ultimately decided to install a spacer for some more clearance. That helped the problem slightly, but now I have an obnoxious rub/rattle noise, specifically around 2500 RPM.

Back under the car I went to assess, and here is what I found:

As you can see, the rubbing has taken out approximately a quarter inch off of the skid plate and completely wore off a section of the ceramic coating:

As you can tell by the first picture, I also have an exhaust leak at the overpipe connection, which wasn't a huge surprise given how difficult those bolts were to tighten due to the position of the cat. The two bolts for the header-overpipe connection, which were supplied with the header, were also too long. Not having a way to cut the bolts in my toolbox, or access to another car during install, I just tried to make the best of it. The end of one bolt starts to dig into the cat as you tighten:

The other bolt is bending the base of the O2 sensor:

I love the sound of the header and the improvement in eliminating the torque dip, but I was not expecting so many issues from a top of the line header. Please help @JDLAutoDesign .
immaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #1616
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Subscribed.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #1617
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculate View Post
I ordered a catted UEL this spring and have to say that I have been disappointed with the fitment. When it was first installed, the bottom of the header was rubbing on the skid plate, which was very noticeable at idle and taking off from a start. Climbed back under the car, removed the skid plate, tried and mostly failed to dent the area of the skid plate that was making contact and ultimately decided to install a spacer for some more clearance. That helped the problem slightly, but now I have an obnoxious rub/rattle noise, specifically around 2500 RPM.

As you can see, the rubbing has taken out approximately a quarter inch off of the skid plate and completely wore off a section of the ceramic coating:

As you can tell by the first picture, I also have an exhaust leak at the overpipe connection, which wasn't a huge surprise given how difficult those bolts were to tighten due to the position of the cat. The two bolts for the header-overpipe connection, which were supplied with the header, were also too long. Not having a way to cut the bolts in my toolbox, or access to another car during install, I just tried to make the best of it. The end of one bolt starts to dig into the cat as you tighten:

I love the sound of the header and the improvement in eliminating the torque dip, but I was not expecting so many issues from a top of the line header. Please help @JDLAutoDesign .
Shoot me an email to Info@jdlautodesign.net and I'll get you an RMA and get going on a new header for you.

These headers are built in a fixture and we have a height checker to test for skid pan clearance. I don't know if the fabricator just didn't check it or what. I apologize for the issues, you should not be having any so we'll get it taken care of ASAP for you.

If anyone has any issues please do not hesitate to Call or email direct with any questions!

Jesse
JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDLAutoDesign For This Useful Post:
immaculate (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #1618
BFIFE22

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculate View Post

I have the same catted header (down to the ceramic coating), and I had none of those issues (except the bolt at the overpipe flange being hard to get to, although I think I think I had the bolts facing the other direction when I installed mine, not sure though). I would contact them and see what they can do for you. Shouldn't be typical from what I've seen

EDIT: Just saw their post above
Old 10-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #1619
JDM4E

What type of HFC JDL uses in header and ultra-quiet midpipe?
I have to say JDL's support is not good. No response to mail, PM, or here.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #1620
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
It's always easier and faster to call them, although I know that may be more difficult considering you're in Euroland.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #1621
JDLAutoDesign

Quote:
I apologize. We have been short staffed the past month and have been working crazy hours in the shop to keep up. We do answer the phone everyday but I understand with you being in Europe that isn't always feasible.

We use Magnaflow 200 cell cats typically but have used Eastern Cats for a few customers that wanted a higher (400) Cell cat for emissions purposes.

If there's anything I can do to make up for it please let me know!

Jesse
Old 10-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #1622
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I have found JDL customer service to be excellent. Helped me solve a problem with speed and grace. Great company from my experience!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:15 AM   #1623
JDM4E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLAutoDesign View Post
I apologize. We have been short staffed the past month and have been working crazy hours in the shop to keep up. We do answer the phone everyday but I understand with you being in Europe that isn't always feasible.

We use Magnaflow 200 cell cats typically but have used Eastern Cats for a few customers that wanted a higher (400) Cell cat for emissions purposes.

If there's anything I can do to make up for it please let me know!

Jesse
Thanks for the reply. I would like to ask:
- Have you ever tried Catted EL with ultra-quiet midpipe and with JDL Catback? Basically your full exhaust combo.
- Do you have any current version catted EL dyno available
- Are these spun cats you are using reliable? Don't they cone? Or possibly do magnaflow or other twisted cores? But maybe it is fine. I think two quality 200 cels will be fine!
Old 10-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #1624
JDLAutoDesign

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I would like to ask:
- Have you ever tried Catted EL with ultra-quiet midpipe and with JDL Catback? Basically your full exhaust combo.
- Do you have any current version catted EL dyno available
- Are these spun cats you are using reliable? Don't they cone? Or possibly do magnaflow or other twisted cores? But maybe it is fine. I think two quality 200 cels will be fine!
Sent you a pm