follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanabie View Post
However, I've seen someone in the forum had troubles to align the exhaust. Am I wrong?
Mine was amzingly simple. It literally lined up automatically. I planned to make some adjustments after I had the system on, so I just aligned all the flanges and snugged the bolts. When I hopped out from under the car to check the tips, they were perfect. So I just torqued all the bolts down and called it good.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #16
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Oh, just a tip. I hung the exhaust myself, so I didn't have someone to lend a hand. It was easier to bolt together ther resonator pipe and the section with the forward hangar first, then get under the car. That way I could hang the pipe from the hangar and then align the front flange.

After that, it was left can, bolt it, right can, bolt it, check the tips, torque it down.

Silicone spray helps a LOT to get the hangars on.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
siXXtoes
Ohh Snap

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Who has the Grip with headers. I have P&l catted headers sitting in the garage with an over pipe and want to pair it with the Grip and test pipe.

Any sound clips?

SoCal SD 86 Club Admin
https://www.facebook.com/groups/socalsd86/
siXXtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
do you have to tune after full exhaust + header + intake? Whats the roughly performance gain?
hanabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
siXXtoes
Ohh Snap

I do have a tune now for my stock exhaust, and one for the headers +exhaust. Just waiting to put on and do some runs to get the tune adjusted.

Smoother throttle, better gas peddle pick up, just overall better driving

SoCal SD 86 Club Admin
Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siXXtoes View Post
Who has the Grip with headers. I have P&l catted headers sitting in the garage with an over pipe and want to pair it with the Grip and test pipe.

Any sound clips?
I'm on my phone now, so it will take more effort than needed.

Go to YouTube and search "frs ark exhaust" or something like that. There's a red frs that has a borla uel with a grip catback
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Propaganda For This Useful Post:
siXXtoes (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
siXXtoes
Ohh Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post
I'm on my phone now, so it will take more effort than needed.

Go to YouTube and search "frs ark exhaust" or something like that. There's a red frs that has a borla uel with a grip catback
that thing sounded MONEY! I'm am so in

SoCal SD 86 Club Admin
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #22
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I see the DTS is lighter weight, more gain per dyno and sound little louder than the Grip so there is no need to pay extra for test pipe, IMO.
Btw, has anyone compare the sound between DTS vs Greddy Elite ? These both have best looking exhaust tips !
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #23
siXXtoes
Ohh Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
I see the DTS is lighter weight, more gain per dyno and sound little louder than the Grip so there is no need to pay extra for test pipe, IMO.
Btw, has anyone compare the sound between DTS vs Greddy Elite ? These both have best looking exhaust tips !
I think the DTS will be to loud with the headers i am going to be putting on, but...

SoCal SD 86 Club Admin
Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #24
Enraged21
#RememberTheBuster

Drives: Firestorm FRS MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I still like the look of the GRiP better vs the DT-S. Although both are very well made products.
Enraged21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm not sure if I have to burn extra $500 just for an exhaust. Really close to a set of good wheels.

Read this 1
read this 2

I guess I'll just burn my money on something like invidia

Last edited by hanabie; 08-06-2013 at 01:00 PM.
hanabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #26
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanabie View Post
I'm not sure if I have to burn extra $500 just for an exhaust. Really close to a set of good wheels.

Read this 1
read this 2

I guess I'll just burn my money on something like invidia
I read the first one and got through 6 pages and the OP still hadn't posted proof for his "loss in power". Not only that but he was not being reasonable and every post was talking bad. From what it looked like, the exhaust didn't meet his expectations for sound and he got upset and decided to try and justify something he was regretful for. Yes, I agree thr plasma cut holes are not pretty. But they serve their purpose. Mine didn't look like that, from what I saw, and no, I'm not going to take off my exhaust to get pictures.

I'm very satisfied with the sound. I knew it wasn't the loudest system, as I had plans for more than a cat back, and IMO, this is the best sounding exhaust. I have no dyno, I don't remember my butt dyno. I'm happy with the sound and quality of it.

The second post.... Fitment. I had 0 issues. I remember some other members saying the tips didn't line up, but that's because they didn't adjust them correctly. Going back and loosening some bolts, twisting the piping, and tightening the bolts again fixed the "issue". Also, the packaging my exhaust arrived in was over kill. Nothing was broken, nothing damaged, nothing poking through the box. And so what there's a bible verse on the side of the box? Wtf, complain much?

I gave up on the first post because of all the Bullshit and bandwagon hate. I was just skimming for the OP and posts by ARK. In my experience, they have great customer service.

Also, calling someone will yield the most direct result, as not everyone checks email or forums frequently. Same thing happened in the JDL thread here. Personally, I would contact a company directlytto fix an issue first, before posting and bashing about an isolated incident
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I had the issues with adjusting them correctly, but after loosening the bolts, positioning, and re-tightening I got the tips aligned where I want them.

I have had zero issues with the exhaust. The first read is a little disconcerting, but to be honest the guy says one thing and never backs it up with proof. It honestly sounds like he was on the fence and went for the ARK and was not blown away so he regretted the purchase. Acceptable level of volume is subjective to everyone so his volume comment holds no weight with me. As for losing power, I have no clue without a dyno sheet on his car or my car for that matter, I cannot tell an increase or decrease in HP, I just know it sounds great and looks good. As for the packaging being ripped on the second one, are you kidding me!? That could have happened anywhere between ARK, UPS, FedEx and his house. My exhaust had more foam wrapped around it than some of the artifacts in a museum so I had no dings or dents. Then the bible verse.....are you joking, it is on the package, do we complain about the eagle on the outside of the USPS priority mail envelopes?

However if you are on the fence, I suggest you step back and evaluate what you want. Yes the ARK exhausts do cost a pretty penny and it took me awhile to justify spending the money on it, but I am not disappointed. You are really buying an aftermarket exhaust for looks and sound, for real performance gains you are looking at other means. If you like one of the other exhausts and can spend the "saved" money on wheels you want then go for it.