follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2017, 05:03 AM   #617
CJRhoades

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Flashed the latest v3.02 Stg2 E85 tune for MY17 last week and have driven about 100 miles now. Car feels pretty good and I haven't had any issue with cold starts. LTFT hovers around -3% when driving but sits at -12.5% at idle. Is this a problem? I couldn't find any stations in my area that carry actual E85. Most of the pumps say Min 51% but I found a place that said Min 70% and filled up with that. Maybe just residual 93 in the tank?

Edit: Finished first tank and refueled. Idle LTFT down to -3% now. Drove about 240 miles today with an average speed of 53mph and got 23.5mpg. Not bad.

Last edited by CJRhoades; 11-23-2017 at 09:45 PM.
CJRhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #618
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So if the California blends are shown as 51-83% on all stations in my area, and I'm seeing some knock between 3-4k rpms and negative ltft between -2 to -6% range and sometimes more, is it best to abort the e85 plan and stick to 91, or is it really that easy to edit the ignition advance to compensate for low ethanol content and make the tune safe to run without second guessing every day? Im afraid of messing this up (stock car except for cbe) and the car sounds horrible under load right at 4k rpms
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #619
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
So if the California blends are shown as 51-83% on all stations in my area, and I'm seeing some knock between 3-4k rpms and negative ltft between -2 to -6% range and sometimes more, is it best to abort the e85 plan and stick to 91, or is it really that easy to edit the ignition advance to compensate for low ethanol content and make the tune safe to run without second guessing every day? Im afraid of messing this up (stock car except for cbe) and the car sounds horrible under load right at 4k rpms
sounds like you need a flex fuel kit
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Submarinesonce For This Useful Post:
guybo (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #620
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Yeah, everything I've read looking into E85 says that anything below E60 is dangerous and will run very lean. How's your AFR?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Toyarzee (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #621
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarinesonce View Post
sounds like you need a flex fuel kit
yeah... ok... in Northern California especially, it sounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Yeah, everything I've read looking into E85 says that anything below E60 is dangerous and will run very lean. How's your AFR?
AFR seemed fine i thought... but I need to take it out for another drive to get better readings

https://datazap.me/u/toyarzee/first-...=0&data=2-8-10
Old 02-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #622
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
yeah... ok... in Northern California especially, it sounds...

AFR seemed fine i thought... but I need to take it out for another drive to get better readings

https://datazap.me/u/toyarzee/first-...=0&data=2-8-10

ltft look ok suspect ethanol content is fine, if ethanol content was way low the ltft would be quite negative at low rpm like -10% or more.

not seeing any knock correction or FLKC in that log and IAM is 1

looks like it might be a little rich under full load though.

the horrible noise around 4000 rpm is likely the el header cam timing.

If you don't like it load the UEL header E85 tune you wont get the raspy noise at 4000
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Toyarzee (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #623
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Since adding the ofh and uel tune my idle is nice and steady even with a.c. on. With stock manifold and el e85 tune it was bouncing around a bit. Car is smooth and strong with header and e85.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #624
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Few more questions on tuning for e85 and afr. I understand that e85 lambda or afr reads differently than 91, and the safe tuning range is more broad with e85. However, what I'm not understanding is if the reported afr on the oft and its data logs are an innacurate reading since the sensor is tuned for gasoline afr. If I'm seeing the typical 14.7 at idle and cruise, and between high 10s and low 11s sometimes when wot, what afr is it really running at? If it's already too rich and the reading is actually richer than the oft is reporting, then I'm waaay too rich accross the board.

I was hesitant to necro some old threads on fuel filter degradation and lamda readings such as this: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46582
Old 02-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #625
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Few more questions on tuning for e85 and afr. I understand that e85 lambda or afr reads differently than 91, and the safe tuning range is more broad with e85. However, what I'm not understanding is if the reported afr on the oft and its data logs are an innacurate reading since the sensor is tuned for gasoline afr. If I'm seeing the typical 14.7 at idle and cruise, and between high 10s and low 11s sometimes when wot, what afr is it really running at? If it's already too rich and the reading is actually richer than the oft is reporting, then I'm waaay too rich accross the board.

I was hesitant to necro some old threads on fuel filter degradation and lamda readings such as this: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46582
The AFR you see on your OFT is just a translation of lambda reported by the o2 sensor. So yes, while the actual AFR is richer it really doesn't matter just tune and use the same "AFR" targets as gasoline. Could you do the work to translate the gasoline AFR to ethanol AFR, sure, but it doesn't help you tune.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lincoln Logs For This Useful Post:
Toyarzee (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #626
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Logs View Post
The AFR you see on your OFT is just a translation of lambda reported by the o2 sensor. So yes, while the actual AFR is richer it really doesn't matter just tune and use the same "AFR" targets as gasoline. Could you do the work to translate the gasoline AFR to ethanol AFR, sure, but it doesn't help you tune.
Ok... pardon my ignorance, but if the actual afr is different, then why wouldn't my target afr be different from gasoline as well? Or is the difference in afr reading the same difference in target afr anyway? Trying to understand when the tune would be outside the safe boundaries for e85 afr, and why
Old 02-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #627
Lincoln Logs

Quote:
Ok... pardon my ignorance, but if the actual afr is different, then why wouldn't my target afr be different from gasoline as well? Or is the difference in afr reading the same difference in target afr anyway? Trying to understand when the tune would be outside the safe boundaries for e85 afr, and why
Let me rephrase, the reason it doesn't really matter is because AFR is just a translation we use to make it easier to understand the lambda value from the o2 sensor. The ECU never sees an AFR value it just sees lambda, which doesn't care about fuel type.

Another example: if the o2 sensor reports a lambda of 1.0 it doesn't care weather it is pump gas or E85...it just sees a lambda of 1.0 and will tune accordingly.

What you are actually talking about is altering the car's AFR reference to stoich which is a completely different thing. This is something you could do on a standalone ECU but it will just make your brain hurt trying to translate gasoline AFRs to E85 AFRs. The bottom line is just leave the AFR targets as they are and just tune your AFR as if it was gas. On a high strung race car you might want to run them a touch leaner but for anyone else, don't worry about it since the sweet spot on E85 is so much bigger.
Toyarzee (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #628
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Damn, ok I'm cluing in finally, THANK YOU.... I thought the lamda would be different too since a different fuel density and energy.

I watched a video last night with some guys tuning and comparing 114 octane race fuel and e85 race fuel rated at 112 octane, and they were swapping carbs on a Chevy big block at 13:1 while on a dyno. Each time they tried adding more timing and fuel, they were discussing how the fuel was burning slower and it wasnt working, referencing how lamda readings were different and it was making my brain hurt. They also went through the long list of e85 cons making me paranoid, including fuel line and pump filter degradation, buildup and blockages, aluminum components breakdown, and storage issues, along with AFR conversions and issues running too rich creating knock.

I trust that the hundreds of oft users running e85 ots tunes would be up in arms if the tune wasn't compatible, but between hearing new noises, new butt dyno and the torque dip still prevailing on oem header, I don't wanna screw up the motor out of lack in understanding.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #629
Lincoln Logs

Quote:
Damn, ok I'm cluing in finally, THANK YOU.... I thought the lamda would be different too since a different fuel density and energy.

I watched a video last night with some guys tuning and comparing 114 octane race fuel and e85 race fuel rated at 112 octane, and they were swapping carbs on a Chevy big block at 13:1 while on a dyno. Each time they tried adding more timing and fuel, they were discussing how the fuel was burning slower and it wasnt working, referencing how lamda readings were different and it was making my brain hurt.

They also went through the long list of e85 cons making me paranoid, including fuel line and pump filter degradation, buildup and blockages, aluminum components breakdown, and storage issues, along with AFR conversions and issues running too rich creating knock.

I trust that the hundreds of oft users running e85 ots tunes would be up in arms if the tune wasn't compatible, but between hearing new noises, new butt dyno and the torque dip still prevailing on oem header, I don't wanna screw up the motor out of lack in understanding.

I know the video you are referencing, there was a lot to like but I feel their representation of it was a bit shortsighted. I've been running E85 in my cars for and tuning cars with it for years and many of the myths you hear about are simple not true.

The tales about build up and corrosion really only apply to much older cars. If the car was built in the late 80s or newer most items are already ethanol compatible. In the event you still have 20 year rubber fuel lines on a car with E85, shame on you...replace that with any rubber line from your local auto parts store and it will be E85 compatible.

If it's an older car you should replace the fuel filter as the E85 will loosen up dirt...so if you picked up the shell for your race car from a junk yard don't be surprised if it's full of crap. That is usually the cause for a car running E85 suddenly having problems.
Toyarzee (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #630
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Simple maths:
Lambda 1 = 9.76 AFR E85 / 14.7 Gasoline

((OFT AFR)/14.7)*9.76 = E85 AFR

That's why most tuners work with Lambda as it's not fuel specific.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Toyarzee (02-16-2018)