follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2023, 02:03 AM   #1
mhansen146

Drives: '15 FR-S '85 4WD Tercel '95 Trooper
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2nd Flywheel ring gear immenent failure

I have the same 2015 FRS and it previously had, circa 2019, its ring gear slowly loosen, wander and eventually start spinning on the flywheel. Something I was unaware could even happen. Well its happening again. Im in the early stages this time, with only minor but obvious wear on the tip of the starter pinion and the same metallic metal on metal noise that goes away with slight pressure on clutch pedal. This flywheel was a factory brand new take off from a zero mile car.

This is blowing my mind. This flywheel variant was also used on wrxs and likely other subarus if i am not mistaken. I still cant find any info anywhere about others having this issue. Has anyone else suffered a flywheel ring gear loosening?

The only guess I have at this point is either statistically terrible luck with 2 lemon OEM flywheels, or possibly flywheel overheating. The first and latter 20k (52k total) where not driven by me and I know for a fact that in the latter 20k the car had a wildly burned out clutch I replaced (flywheel was turned) and in the prior I suspect the transmission was replaced likely under warranty (i believe the sticker had a 2016 build date which seemed odd on a 2015..)

Anyone else have this issue?
mhansen146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 01:21 PM   #2
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd begin to suspect alignment of the starter motor and Bendix gear or the mounting flange in the block for it.
At least some extra scrutiny along those lines.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (05-20-2023), NoHaveMSG (05-19-2023), Ultramaroon (05-19-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 12:38 PM   #3
mhansen146

Drives: '15 FR-S '85 4WD Tercel '95 Trooper
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Agreed I have very much considered! I will say this (which has prevented me considering further at the moment): there is no engagement issues (always engages and spins without drama), no visible to me unusual wear on starter pinion/bendix gear drive surface (just the wear marks on the tip where its touches the running spinning flywheel). Starter is quiet and identical in noise to my first FRS. The wear pattern on both the flywheel and bendix gear appear to be even and consistent with what I imagine is healthy good engagement (ill get a better look at flywheel when it comes off). No damage to either mating surface and no unusual rocking or movement in the 2 machined surfaces of the starter or the tranmission when installing the starter. The trans install itself is about as challenging as any trans install is on the garage floor of a small townhouse 1 car garage It is of course not unreasonable to consider the possibility that the bellhousing or block may have a misalignement but that a pricey and challenging to verify I think..

But I will keep this in mind as I pull it apart again and check the flywheel closely for signs of uneven or angled engagement and maybe run a straight edge over the bellhousing surface.

I am going to try purchasing the exedy aftermarket oem equivalent flywheel, it looks like a quality piece (and about $150 less). If this one develops ring gear problems, then it will be time to consider warpage in the big cast parts!

I have decided to go with at this point ring gear stretching due to overheating of the cast iron portion of the flywheel as the culprit for time being. I do know for a fact this flywheel got hot enough to give a torched patina too much of the flywheel. Im pretty a sure the ring gear is probably a hardened steel of sorts so it may not like being stretched and there is likely a heat propogation delay considering the poor heat transmittance characteristics of iron and steel. I also doubt its that often that people torch clutches to that extent (the clutch got so hot it literally disintegrated into carbon dust and fibreglass, and yes I had a long conversation with the current owner about wether her knee could handle this anymore and proper slipping RPM). I shouldnt have reused the flywheel but it looked great after turning.. sorry for the novel!
mhansen146 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhansen146 For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-20-2023)