follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2022, 10:12 AM   #1
ClaytonG

Drives: Car Enthusiast trying to learn more
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Aftermarket headers in Ontario

I've finally figured out how I should plan my dream car in regard to performance parts but I am still fairly new to cars and don't know the ins and out

Upgraded suspension and a head package and cams for the FA20 particularly FBM Fa20 Stage 2 Head Package and Full Blown Stage 1 FA20 is my first priority

The next part I would want would be the headers since they seem to be a good next step in upgrading performance. Then I will start to look at exhaust after

However, the exhaust may be 1st because I have a question regarding the headers and

I read that catless headers or performance headers affect emissions tests but if I go with catless headers can I still put a cat-back exhaust without failing a test?

I want my car one day to have a bit of power behind it while still adhering to the laws as closely as I can without breaking them but I might make some exceptions if there is a way to not fail the emissions test. Rather not get a fine or car towed or something

Any insight will be much appreciated.
ClaytonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:38 AM   #2
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The two oxygen sensors are before and after the cat so going to a catless header will require you to re-tune the ECM and surely would fail an e-test if we still had them in Ontario.
A retune will also help maximize any power gains offered by the header.
That said, your cars exhaust will be stinky without a cat whether it is part of the header or downstream in an after-market exhaust system.
235F/245R Conti ECS on TRD/Enkei wheels (street),
245/40 sq. A052 on 17x8 720Form GTF2 wheels (track)
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #3
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Aftermarket headers with tuning will disable the catalyst efficiency codes related to non OEM type cats which would fail an emission readiness check. That was the last system used when emission testing was done in Ontario.
Retaining OEM front pipe or a front pipe with a cat will keep the smell in check. Deleting the header cat does add a bit of smell, but no where near as bad as being full catless.

As far as the build goes, it makes more sense to start with common mods first, and decide whether engine work is worth the $$. You will get more power from header tune than you will with the head package. Header tune is noticeable but not a massive difference which might give you an idea if it's worth spending many more thousands for something you may not even feel on the street.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 08:08 PM   #4
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
There's no regular emissions tests in Ontario any more, but if you're stopped by the MTO (or a cop that calls in the MTO) they can do a roadside sniffer test in addition to a visual inspection and fine you for removing emissions equipment. If you keep a cat in the front pipe you're less likely to be noticed because it'll keep it from smelling like you're catless, but if they look at the header and notice there's no cat there you can still be fined. Technically you can even be fined for replacing a stock cat with a high flow one, but if there's a cat where there's supposed to be I doubt any officers would notice if it's stock vs aftermarket.

Tags
aftermarket exhaust, emissions test, headers