follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2023, 01:28 AM   #673
bkd705

Drives: 2023 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan Blade View Post
Just got back from my local Subaru dealer. They will have a BRZ Sport-Tech in the colour I want delivered in 6-8 weeks. They even gave me a VIN! Looks like the GR86 dream is over.

Call me crazy but I wonder if these "delivery issues" have something to do with Toyota not delivering Solterra's to Subaru resulting in Subaru giving Toyota the good old middle finger on the GR86.

Now starting to second guess my Rav4 Allocation...
Yeah seems like BRZs are becoming pretty readily available for this summer. Got an email for another dealer following up to see if I made a purchase since they just got allocated 2 more BRZs that'll be here in June/July.

To be completely honest, I was always indifferent towards the two, with a slight preference towards the aggressive looks of the GR86. But I am more than happy with my BRZ and in some ways prefer the looks more. Also for me the slight differences in suspension setup etc don't matter since it is all being replaced, but I understand if that is important for people who don't want to do many mods.
bkd705 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkd705 For This Useful Post:
Cyan Blade (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 05:37 PM   #674
Razorwing

Drives: Trueno Halo White 2023 Toyota GR 86
I really wonder what is going on, 2 months without updates. All I hear is people in the US getting their cars and allocations.. are us Canadians really getting no allocations at all?
Razorwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 06:15 PM   #675
Ryokumi

Drives: 2023 Magnetite Grey BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd705 View Post
Yeah seems like BRZs are becoming pretty readily available for this summer. Got an email for another dealer following up to see if I made a purchase since they just got allocated 2 more BRZs that'll be here in June/July.

To be completely honest, I was always indifferent towards the two, with a slight preference towards the aggressive looks of the GR86. But I am more than happy with my BRZ and in some ways prefer the looks more. Also for me the slight differences in suspension setup etc don't matter since it is all being replaced, but I understand if that is important for people who don't want to do many mods.
I had reached out to a few Subaru dealerships as well this morning, and they all have incoming stock in the next 6-12 weeks. I tried reaching out to a few sales people at the Toyota dealership where I put my deposit down last year and I've been getting ghosted via email and phone. As much as I'd love a GR86 to go with my Hachi Roku custom license plate, I don't know if it's worth to hang on if this is what we have to put up with.

Update: Got a call back from the sales rep at the Toyota dealership, and was told the are forecasted to receive a single GR86 this year in June...

Last edited by Ryokumi; 05-03-2023 at 07:54 PM.
Ryokumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 06:18 PM   #676
Ryokumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorwing View Post
I really wonder what is going on, 2 months without updates. All I hear is people in the US getting their cars and allocations.. are us Canadians really getting no allocations at all?
Maybe someone found out about Rusty and told them to put a end to posting these open stock allocation updates lol.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:16 PM   #677
Razorwing

Drives: Trueno Halo White 2023 Toyota GR 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokumi View Post
Maybe someone found out about Rusty and told them to put a end to posting these open stock allocation updates lol.
I mean if that's true, I hope he tells us instead of ghosting the thread lol, cause right now it seems like there are no allocations coming to Canada right now.
Razorwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:39 PM   #678
Needless

Drives: Unobtainable
I'm starting to wonder if this isn't done on purpose by Toyota. The demand for the GR86 seems to be almost 4 times higher than the BRZ so I'm wondering if Toyota and Subaru have an agreement that a certain amount of each car must be sold. Subaru are the ones making the cars but almost nobody wants the BRZ compared to the GR86. Is Toyota waiting for Subaru to sell a certain number before allocating more cars? Toyota can't come out and openly tell people to go buy a car from another company but they can withhold allocation until Subaru catches up with sales numbers. I know this theory is a little out there but it could explain this situation.
Needless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:05 PM   #679
Cyan Blade

Drives: Wheelbarrow, lowered with NOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needless View Post
I'm starting to wonder if this isn't done on purpose by Toyota. The demand for the GR86 seems to be almost 4 times higher than the BRZ so I'm wondering if Toyota and Subaru have an agreement that a certain amount of each car must be sold. Subaru are the ones making the cars but almost nobody wants the BRZ compared to the GR86. Is Toyota waiting for Subaru to sell a certain number before allocating more cars? Toyota can't come out and openly tell people to go buy a car from another company but they can withhold allocation until Subaru catches up with sales numbers. I know this theory is a little out there but it could explain this situation.
Whatever the reason, it's far from ideal and doesn't make Toyota look to sharp.

BRZ Ordered: May 2nd, 2023. Received June 21st, 2023.
Cyan Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:51 AM   #680
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAddict View Post
I did a little checking on our respective national AutoTrader sites this aft. Across the USA there are a total of 320 GR86s listed for sale (new cars, 2023 MY). Across Canada there are precisely 0. That's a ratio of ∞:1

Out of curiosity I looked at 4Runners (all versions) and found over 3000 listed in the US, and only 77 listed in Canada, which works out precisely to 40:1.

This makes me wonder if it's Toyota Global shafting Canada, or if it's Toyota Canada just not caring enough to bother with the 86 and instead just bringing in all the Tundras, Tacos, Sequoias, RAV4s, etc that they can. Bigger price tags = much higher profit margins I'm betting.

Side note: the USA has 158 BRZs listed, while Canada has just 8. So 20:1 for those.
To get a fair comparison you really need to take all the endless summer (almost) states out of the equation. They are going to sell far, far, FAR, more sports cars than those states that see real winter. Of course we don't have sales data by state but I would be willing to bet that if you took the northern states with roughly the total population of Canada the sales numbers would be almost equal.

Toyota Canada and Scion before it, never has shown much interest in the FRS/86. It just does not sell enough units to come to the forefront even when they can produce enough for demand. It is a niche car in a limited market and that will never change.

Price has very little to do with profitability in the auto industry. Yes those trucks and SUVs have a higher price tag (although you can get "cheaper" versions of most of them) but the cost to build them is much higher so profitability is a wash on price. The difference is that they can make $1,000 a unit on 500 GR86's or $1,000 a unit on 50,000 Rav4's. They are a business and as much as those waiting may think it sucks (it does suck to wait) they do know what they are doing to stay in business.

It also isn't just the 86 that people are waiting for. Unless you are lucky enough to stumble on exactly what you were after sitting on a lot the waits are still almost a year for even some of the most basic vehicles. We are at least another year away from the industry getting caught up from all the shit over the last 3 years.
Lowvelle (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 07:54 AM   #681
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Whatever the reason, it's far from ideal and doesn't make Toyota look to sharp.
LOL do you really think that anybody beyond the 20 or so still waiting (NO it is not thousands or even hundreds of people) and the internet commentators even have noticed the delay?
The cars will come.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:37 PM   #682
RaceAddict

Drives: '23 BRZ, '16 4RUNNER
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Akina View Post
Might just go with the Integra Type S instead I have an allocation that is supposedly coming in July. Pricing pending of course…
52 grand USD - Jalopnik
Picked up BRZ: June 19th, 2023
RaceAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:07 PM   #683
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAddict View Post
52 grand USD - Jalopnik
Which means about $62k minimum in Canada, plus another $8k in taxes. For that money I'd be getting a loaded 230i Xdrive any day of the week (and pocketing $8k in savings).
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
Petah78 (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 01:07 PM   #684
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It was reported that the price will be $56.5k cdn.
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:14 PM   #685
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
It was reported that the price will be $56.5k cdn.
CDN price is $58,195 (including destination and psi) + doc fee, amvic, probably $100 bs fee and GST we are talking $62k easy.

Yeah no thanks, not for a nicer civic without the clout of the CTR.

Good news update though just got a call that my GR86 is inbound, set to arrive around July15th.

Getting excited again!!!!
Old 05-05-2023, 06:37 PM   #686
Ryokumi

Quote:
Just got back from my local Subaru dealer. They will have a BRZ Sport-Tech in the colour I want delivered in 6-8 weeks. They even gave me a VIN! Looks like the GR86 dream is over.

Call me crazy but I wonder if these "delivery issues" have something to do with Toyota not delivering Solterra's to Subaru resulting in Subaru giving Toyota the good old middle finger on the GR86.

Now starting to second guess my Rav4 Allocation...
Congratulations! I've joined you in the same boat and am ditching the GR86 dream. I went to my local Subaru dealership and found out they have one coming in the next two weeks.

For those in the western part of the GTA, there are a few dealerships in Brampton, Mississauga, and Oakville that have BRZs incoming in the next 6-12 weeks if you want to reach out to them.

Last edited by Ryokumi; 05-07-2023 at 09:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryokumi For This Useful Post:
Cyan Blade (05-10-2023)