follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
subtledriver

Drives: RallyX BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installing/Wiring Spec-D FRS lights into my Subaru BRZ

Hi everyone, I'm new here! I just Bought a BRZ, I hope my first post is useful as a DIY "Do-it-yourself" guide on how to wire the spec-d lights (boomerang style) into a BRZ.

So I have two crunched BRZ headlights, after doing some searching for a set, I found they are going for around $1500 new or $800 used.
I am not building a show car, I am building an off-road Rallycross car, plus I'm on a budget So I decided to look for alternative solutions at lower cost.
I decided to Buy the Spec-D lights for the Scion FRS they have the "Subaru Look" and can be had around $350-450 range. The only problem with this, is they come with a 6-pin harness plug. This will NOT allow plug-and play for the Subaru BRZ ( which has an 8-pin harness plug).

I also Didn't care about the HID lights at this point. I will wire those in later.

The Spec-D FRS headlights with the "boomerang" is what I ended up buying. They seem to be cast in similar dimensions to the BRZ headlamps and have the option of installing the level motor and the OEM HID ballasts.

Here is the wiring diagram notes I made for installation (if you want to know what everything does) I tested each wire to verify this, I did not look at any diagrams: (PS: Pin numbers are embossed on the actual plug in tiny print)
*LEFT-HAND HEADLIGHT!

*RIGHT-HAND HEADLIGHT (same pin order, some colors are different)

Spec-D *BOTH SIDES ARE SAME

This is the "Cheat sheet" for just matching colors from the BRZ factory headlight harness to the Spec-D Headlight harness colors to make everything work just like stock.

This is what the re-pinned/spliced Spec-D connector should look like on both sides (modified the existing 8-pin OEM BRZ headlight harness plug)

My IG: @subtledriver

Last edited by subtledriver; 05-24-2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Adding details and updating photos
subtledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
They fit in the bumper ok? That's one other difference, the shape of the headlight housing and bumper cutout.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
subtledriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
They fit in the bumper ok? That's one other difference, the shape of the headlight housing and bumper cutout.
To be honest, I have no idea! I dont have a bumper yet. The research I did prior (difficult to find clear, factual info), I came to the conclusion they were the "same". I hope they are the same.... does anone have a stock bumper or fenders in so cal for sale?
Old 05-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtledriver View Post
To be honest, I have no idea! I dont have a bumper yet. The research I did prior (difficult to find clear, factual info), I came to the conclusion they were the "same". I hope they are the same.... does anone have a stock bumper or fenders in so cal for sale?

The FRS/86 headlight comes to a point on the inside and has the bumper cutout for it.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

The FRS/86 headlight comes to a point on the inside and has the bumper cutout for it.
Its a rally car he can dremel that portion to fit the headights
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
subtledriver

Quote:

OK, so I looked at my crushed headlights. The pointy side of the brz headlight has a rubber "support/seal" that supports the bumper. If you remove it, you get the full, long, pointy FRS look. So I'm confident It will fit just fine without modifications (besides maybe adding the little rubber part to the tip)

you can see the rubber part on the tip here.
http://blog.86speed.com/wp-content/u...dlight-BRZ.jpg
Old 05-25-2017, 07:03 AM   #7
JD86

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtledriver View Post
OK, so I looked at my crushed headlights. The pointy side of the brz headlight has a rubber "support/seal" that supports the bumper. If you remove it, you get the full, long, pointy FRS look. So I'm confident It will fit just fine without modifications (besides maybe adding the little rubber part to the tip)

you can see the rubber part on the tip here.
http://blog.86speed.com/wp-content/u...dlight-BRZ.jpg
As someone with an 86 who swapped in brz lights I can tell you they're itentical in shape, mount and fit. The little rubber gasket is just a bumper filler to seal the panel gap to the front bumper. It peels off and can easily be attached to gts/frs/spec d headlights to fill in that gap if you're installing them with the standard BRZ front bar.
JD86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
subtledriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD86 View Post
As someone with an 86 who swapped in brz lights I can tell you they're itentical in shape, mount and fit. The little rubber gasket is just a bumper filler to seal the panel gap to the front bumper. It peels off and can easily be attached to gts/frs/spec d headlights to fill in that gap if you're installing them with the standard BRZ front bar.
Thank you! Some real solid factual information. So tired of hearsay on forums.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #9
adrixe

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Did you just use the 8pin connector on your stock brz headlight?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
adrixe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:30 AM   #10
salsasullivan

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
anyway to get an update of these pics without the photobucket issue. I have been trying to do this fix for a few weeks and everyone always refers me to this thread. Thanks. Any other workarounds would help too.
salsasullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Any way to get those pictures back up? If not, I'll take a step-by-step write-up too.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:23 AM   #12
g_steelo99

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
anyway to get pics back up? thanks
g_steelo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:06 PM   #13
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_steelo99 View Post
anyway to get pics back up? thanks
find the servers on which they were hosted, buy them, and hope that they're still there or that the data is recoverable
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:13 AM   #14
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
To get links restored back one needs to pay $399 to photobucket. Most diy guide creators that were burnt with this photobucket extortion that fscked up so many forums/guides won't bother.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, headlights, spec-d, wiring