follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
Csinani

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Smile Gear grinding issue

I have recently bought my second BRZ and it was perfectly fine up until recently. I was getting a gear grind when shifting into 6th gear from anything above 4500 RPM. And I only had 2,400 miles on my new car. So I took it in and they told me that I needed a new transmission and that they ordered it for me already.

I was wondering a couple things. First when they run the diagnostic and send to Subaru on how I was driving the car (not quite sure what the correct name for it is) what would cause them to void my warranty? Second has this happened to anyone else on here this early into owning a brand new one.

Thanks!!
Csinani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csinani View Post
I have recently bought my second BRZ and it was perfectly fine up until recently. I was getting a gear grind when shifting into 6th gear from anything above 4500 RPM. And I only had 2,400 miles on my new car. So I took it in and they told me that I needed a new transmission and that they ordered it for me already.

I was wondering a couple things. First when they run the diagnostic and send to Subaru on how I was driving the car (not quite sure what the correct name for it is) what would cause them to void my warranty? Second has this happened to anyone else on here this early into owning a brand new one.

Thanks!!
Well, first off, Csinani, welcome to our happy clan -

Curious, just how fast were you going when you shifted from 5th to 6th at 4500 rpms ?-

Was your first BRZ a MT?

Warranties are not "voided", however, the dealership can "deny coverage" -

If they are ordering you a new transmission, it sounds like they are going to warrant it. -

It's not unusual for a new transmission in these cars to be a bit "stiff" until they get broke in. However, if the dealership decided it was a bad transmission, maybe it was defective (maybe a bad synchronizer).

I don't see how the car could record your bad driving habits (as far as the transmission goes).

Nope, the MT in my 2013 FR-S shifts perfectly (as long as I don't mess up) -

I hope they get your car fixed up soon.

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
Reamer

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Curious, just how fast were you going when you shifted from 5th to 6th at 4500 rpms ?-

humfrz

This is what I was wondering too but assumed he might be talking about just getting on a freeway and shifting straight from 3rd/4th or something.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
This is what I was wondering too but assumed he might be talking about just getting on a freeway and shifting straight from 3rd/4th or something.
Oh, you might be right. Maybe I didn't read it thatta way, because, I'm from the old school, shift 1-2-3-4-5-6 in that order -

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Csinani

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, first off, Csinani, welcome to our happy clan -

Was your first BRZ a MT?

Warranties are not "voided", however, the dealership can "deny coverage" -

If they are ordering you a new transmission, it sounds like they are going to warrant it. -

It's not unusual for a new transmission in these cars to be a bit "stiff" until they get broke in. However, if the dealership decided it was a bad transmission, maybe it was defective (maybe a bad synchronizer).

I don't see how the car could record your bad driving habits (as far as the transmission goes).

Nope, the MT in my 2013 FR-S shifts perfectly (as long as I don't mess up) -

I hope they get your car fixed up soon.

humfrz
It was just getting on the highwayso about 80 or so

But an update of the situation they finally orered it in and i scheduled an appoitment to gt it installed.

And yes the first BRZ was an MT.
Csinani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Csinani For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csinani View Post
Second has this happened to anyone else on here this early into owning a brand new one.
Not THAT early, but I got a new transmission at 41,000 miles for the same issue.

http://www.seriesblueadventures.com/...nder-warranty/

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission, warranty