follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #1
peter_ind

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CAI - Perrin or Mishimoto

Looking at intake options - Perrin or Mishimoto? Any recommendations?
peter_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
cmarks20

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
From what I've read here, it's not worth the expense. A drop in will net around the same power increase.
cmarks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Drop in filter, or Grimmspeed if you want the best. The Grimmspeed will give you more intake noise and maybe a smidge more power once it's dialed in and tuned over stock. Hard to say since many cars are different and have different tuners.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

Step 1. Go to www.google.com
Step 2. Type in your desired search criteria while including "site:www.ft86club.com" at the end.
Step 3. Click the button.

The search function on this forum sucks, but you can search this website through Google and have GREAT success.
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_ind View Post
Looking at intake options - Perrin or Mishimoto? Any recommendations?
Thanks for considering our intake setup for the BRZ/FR-S! We actually have two options at the moment for full intake kits. We have a cold-air system with a filter location behind the bumper. We recently developed a second system which places the filter within an airbox in the engine bay. Both setups provide improvements in both power output and engine noise volume.

We have a ton of testing data, images from R&D, and video from our dyno pulls within our blog coverage of each of these intake systems. Check them out below!

Cold-Air Intake System: http://engineering.mishimoto.com/?cat=112

Highlights:
  • Provides 10 whp / 8 wtq gains while maintaining A/F ratios with no additional tuning
  • Mandrel-bent aluminum intake piping includes CNC-machined MAF housing and air straightener
  • Fully serviceable oiled air filter provides 16% increase in filter surface area compared to the stock filter
Performance Air Intake System (Engine-bay mounted filter): http://engineering.mishimoto.com/?cat=260

Highlights:
  • Provides 7 whp / 5 wtq gains while maintaining A/F ratios with no additional tuning
  • No bumper removal required and installs in under 30 minutes
  • Designed to fit with the Mishimoto BRZ / FR-S Oil Cooler Kit and Mishimoto Oil Fill Cap
  • Black powder-coated airbox keeps unwanted hot air from entering the air filter
  • Wrinkle black aluminum intake pipe includes CNC-machined MAF housing and air straightener
  • Currently available via a discounted pre-sale ($275).
Let me know if I can answer any questions about either of our intake systems for the twins!

Thanks
-John
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
efactor84

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've done the Mishimoto Intake tube instead of the CAI system; I love the quality and construction. I like the fact I have the option to reuse my factory resonator and get more ponies, or plug the intake tube to sound louder. I just went with a drop in filter from Blitz because it produced more HP than any other drop in filter. I'm currently waiting on my Blitz filter to come in the mail soon this week. The only difference your going to see when it comes to intake systems between my setup and the CAI is the Inake Ambient Temperatures and fuel trims. Either Grimspeed or Mishimoto are going to be your two best friends. Just have to decide who has a better deal and it seems Mishimoto has it going right now at this moment.

Last edited by efactor84; 06-04-2015 at 12:02 PM.
efactor84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
bee-jay

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WR Blue Pearl
If you are doing the sound tube delete, use the Mishimoto. It doesn't have the outlet that needs to be plugged like Perrin. Makes for a cleaner look.
bee-jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #8
peter_ind

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Thanks for considering our intake setup for the BRZ/FR-S! We actually have two options at the moment for full intake kits. We have a cold-air system with a filter location behind the bumper. We recently developed a second system which places the filter within an airbox in the engine bay. Both setups provide improvements in both power output and engine noise volume.

We have a ton of testing data, images from R&D, and video from our dyno pulls within our blog coverage of each of these intake systems. Check them out below!

Cold-Air Intake System: http://engineering.mishimoto.com/?cat=112

Highlights:
  • Provides 10 whp / 8 wtq gains while maintaining A/F ratios with no additional tuning
  • Mandrel-bent aluminum intake piping includes CNC-machined MAF housing and air straightener
  • Fully serviceable oiled air filter provides 16% increase in filter surface area compared to the stock filter
Performance Air Intake System (Engine-bay mounted filter): http://engineering.mishimoto.com/?cat=260

Highlights:
  • Provides 7 whp / 5 wtq gains while maintaining A/F ratios with no additional tuning
  • No bumper removal required and installs in under 30 minutes
  • Designed to fit with the Mishimoto BRZ / FR-S Oil Cooler Kit and Mishimoto Oil Fill Cap
  • Black powder-coated airbox keeps unwanted hot air from entering the air filter
  • Wrinkle black aluminum intake pipe includes CNC-machined MAF housing and air straightener
  • Currently available via a discounted pre-sale ($275).
Let me know if I can answer any questions about either of our intake systems for the twins!

Thanks
-John
I'm really liking the idea of this new engine bay mounted option. Just want to check - are the intake box and pipe both black powder coated on the production version (shows red intake tube on your link)? Would definitely prefer all black for oem look.

Can you post to Australia?

Last edited by peter_ind; 06-05-2015 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Spelling error
peter_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #9
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I've heard Mishimoto's ZX tyres are amazing.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise For This Useful Post:
ajaxthebetter (06-04-2015), JazzleSAURUS (02-27-2018), Roadcone (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by efactor84 View Post
I've done the Mishimoto Intake tube instead of the CAI system; I love the quality and construction. I like the fact I have the option to reuse my factory resonator and get more ponies, or plug the intake tube to sound louder. I just went with a drop in filter from Blitz because it produced more HP than any other drop in filter. I'm currently waiting on my Blitz filter to come in the mail soon this week. The only difference your going to see when it comes to intake systems between my setup and the CAI is the Inake Ambient Temperatures and fuel trims. Either Grimspeed or Mishimoto are going to be your two best friends. Just have to decide who has a better deal and it seems Mishimoto has it going right now at this moment.
Great to hear you are enjoying the intake tube! Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-jay View Post
If you are doing the sound tube delete, use the Mishimoto. It doesn't have the outlet that needs to be plugged like Perrin. Makes for a cleaner look.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_ind View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone!
I'm really liking the idea of this new engine bay mounted option. Just want to check - are the intake box and pipe both black powder coated on the production version (shows red intake tube on your link)? Would definitely prefer all black for oem look.

Can you post to Australia?
The intake tube will be constructed from silicone, just like the component referenced by efactory. This piece will be available in black, blue, or red silicone. The MAF housing will be powder-coated black as will the airbox unit itself. So yes, you can spec this kit as an all black unit for a factory-appearing intake setup.

Thanks!
-John
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #11
ChuBRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ |Yellow series/Limited|
What about the sound maker?... >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarks20 View Post
From what I've read here, it's not worth the expense. A drop in will net around the same power increase.
This is incorrect because the noise making inlet hose has been proven to be detrimental to the FA20 do to loss in air pressure before the throttle body. As soon as you replace it with literally anything you will get your power back. Especially if you have a full exhaust. You could even cap off the inlet hose and remove the noise maker without buying anything but the cap. Even this would give you a gain over leaving it stock. I guess they thought people would be ok with sacrificing power for fucking noise.
ChuBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:31 AM   #12
FunnyGopher

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
I had the Mishimoto CAI installed on my car shortly after I first bought the car. The induction noise it makes under WOT is worth the hassle of taking off the bumper. It sounded so good. Made it just that much more fun to drive, even if there wasn't any power gain. I cried after I uninstalled it.
Harrop Supercharger | Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit | ACE Type-A 350 Header + OP | CSG Touring 86 Catback | RacerX Fabrication Catch Can | Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler | Tuned by Zach from CSG
FunnyGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:14 AM   #13
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBRZ View Post
This is incorrect because the noise making inlet hose has been proven to be detrimental to the FA20 do to loss in air pressure before the throttle body. As soon as you replace it with literally anything you will get your power back. Especially if you have a full exhaust. You could even cap off the inlet hose and remove the noise maker without buying anything but the cap. Even this would give you a gain over leaving it stock. I guess they thought people would be ok with sacrificing power for fucking noise.
Firstly, thanks for reviving a 2&1/2 year old thread.
Secondly, how does one get a pressure drop due to the sound hose? I mean it is not open ended; it is sealed at one end. I am suggesting that any adverse resonance would be negated by the relatively large volume of the chamber it is attached to.
Thirdly, I would love to see proofs. This is the first I've read of power loss due to the sound/noise tube.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:41 AM   #14
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Captain Snooze: weren't there during development/release of mishimoto's(?) silicon intake tube some dynos, that showed slight gains with sound tube delete/slight losses with resonators delete? My memory may mistaken of course.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote