follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #113
Checkered24

Drives: 2014 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thought I would add my $.02.

I have had my BRZ a year as of tomorrow, and am on my second transmission.

The first developed a grind going into 6th gear at 2200 miles. I had zero problems to that point. Shifting into 2nd, even when cold, was fine.

Subaru did seem reluctant to replace the unit however. They were VERY interested in whether I had changed out the fluid or not, or whether the fluid was the Subaru factory fluid. I had not changed fluid, so that was ok.

I do think, however, Subaru was looking for a reason to deny the warranty replacement by asking this. (Dealer said it was a question received through the tech line). It made me very suspicious.

Last edited by Checkered24; 07-09-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Checkered24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #114
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Before i left Toyota. They were working on a fix for the transmission issue.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #115
cbell7492

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Just made an appointment to take my car in. I can downshift from 6th to 5th from as low as 50 mph and it grinds. We'll see if I get any hassle, I shouldn't seeming as the car is completely stock and I can replicate the problem every time.
cbell7492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #116
hushypushy
ビーアールゼット

Drives: WRB BRZ '18
Well, I have some good news for anyone who's in this boat.

Like most people in this thread, my FR-S (build date: 7/12) would grind downshifting into 5th from 6th. I currently have 46k miles on the car and it was just getting worse and worse, from only grinding at 85+ mph, to 65+, to 45+.

Well, I took my car in. They made me file a case with Toyota North America, and...

...now I'm getting a NEW TRANSMISSION under warranty! Hell yeah! They even agreed to install an aftermarket clutch, so I bought an Exedy Stage 1. The transmission arrived today, and my clutch should be here next Tuesday...I can't wait!
hushypushy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hushypushy For This Useful Post:
Anthony (10-02-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #117
cabusi

Drives: 2015 FR-S Hot Lava Man-Trans
T_T I started having this problem 3-5K miles ago. Anything higher than 4k rpm and its grindy shifting for me into 5th gear. The higher the rpms, the harder it is to get into 5th. I felt completely blocked out on 3-4 occasions near 7k rpms just having fun with other fellow drivers. :P All other gears feel buttery smooth though. I was just thinking that maybe I couldn't shift correctly or the car's just like that. I tried making every excuse not to turn it in. Well I just can't take it anymore. I have an appointment at 7:15am tomorrow at my San Diego Toyota dealership. I hope they decided to change my tranny too.

UPDATE: Toyota is ordering me a new transmission. All plus rental car covered by warranty. If this is happening to you, don't wait. Go to the dealership asap.

UPDATE 2: Had my car back a week and happy as a pig in shiz. Smooth shifting in all gears at all rpms.

Last edited by cabusi; 09-24-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: updating
cabusi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cabusi For This Useful Post:
ChuBRZ (03-21-2018)
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #118
veck

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had mine replaced and the 5th gear grinding issue is back again. Starting to feel sad bout the car now.
veck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #119
halo13

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
I'm having a similar issue in my 13 FRS with 37.7k miles. Just bought it used at 37k miles 3 weeks ago. All was well until yesterday. At higher speeds/rpms (60mph+/4-5k) when downshifting from 6th to 5th there's a notchy feeling and a slight grind.

Some people say to live with it, or to get better with rev-matching and double-clutching. Some are getting new transmissions. We bought the FRS from Carmax and have the extended warranty but it's pretty worthless. I'm going to make an appointment with Toyota and let the tech drive and reproduce. Hopefully they will honor the 60/60 powertrain warranty and fix/replace the transmission.

Also, we switched to amsoil and it had no positive effect on the problem.

So until I can get it into the dealership I'm just driving feeder roads and staying under 60. Totally sucks because this car loves to be driven hard.
halo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #120
jacubplaysdrums

Drives: Stock Scion FR-S
I just got my FR-S in April, at 58k, I'm at 65k now & the issue just came on. Sucks, man only remedy is to get a new gearbox then?
jacubplaysdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #121
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacubplaysdrums View Post
I just got my FR-S in April, at 58k, I'm at 65k now & the issue just came on. Sucks, man only remedy is to get a new gearbox then?
the internets say to try change fluid first.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bababooey For This Useful Post:
ChuBRZ (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 03:49 AM   #122
ChuBRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ |Yellow series/Limited|
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2017 BRZ still does it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
Mine grinds when I downshift into 5th going 70mph+ or when im going 100mph+ shifting into 5th
This right here is the issue that I have. Mostly because I try to pull the clutch too fast so I only get it shifting into 5th gear. I've noticed that the location of the 5th gear is too far for my arm to throw the stick and land it in comfortably at high speeds (between 70 and 100mph). I have to maintain control of the car and at those speeds mistakes will be catastrophic. I have been practicing putting more pep into 5th when I'm spirited driving. I feel like I'm beating it sometimes, but the car actually likes it. I've been doing research on this, and some people say that changing the fluid might help, but if the fluid teps aren't where they should be then you might experience problems when pushing the car no matter what fluid you use. My car is only one year old with 5k miles on it, but I don't baby it by any means. Ever since I started practicing The 5th Smash I don't grind any more at any speed, but I can still feel the feedback from the transmision reminding me that I have to Smash it in there. Make sure the clutch is all the way down (classic rookie mistake). If it ever gets worst I'll be back on this feed, and take my car to the dealer.

-EDIT-
Also rev-matching is very important when shifting down. Since your engine speed will be different than the transmission when you try to downshift, you might grind depending on the difference between the two.

Last edited by ChuBRZ; 03-21-2018 at 04:01 AM. Reason: added detail
ChuBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #123
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBRZ View Post
This right here is the issue that I have. Mostly because I try to pull the clutch too fast so I only get it shifting into 5th gear. I've noticed that the location of the 5th gear is too far for my arm to throw the stick and land it in comfortably at high speeds (between 70 and 100mph). I have to maintain control of the car and at those speeds mistakes will be catastrophic. I have been practicing putting more pep into 5th when I'm spirited driving. I feel like I'm beating it sometimes, but the car actually likes it. I've been doing research on this, and some people say that changing the fluid might help, but if the fluid teps aren't where they should be then you might experience problems when pushing the car no matter what fluid you use. My car is only one year old with 5k miles on it, but I don't baby it by any means. Ever since I started practicing The 5th Smash I don't grind any more at any speed, but I can still feel the feedback from the transmision reminding me that I have to Smash it in there. Make sure the clutch is all the way down (classic rookie mistake). If it ever gets worst I'll be back on this feed, and take my car to the dealer.

-EDIT-
Also rev-matching is very important when shifting down. Since your engine speed will be different than the transmission when you try to downshift, you might grind depending on the difference between the two.
How are you holding the knob when you shift? The most common thing I see is people grab it in a death grip ala Fast and Furious which is the very method that should not be used. There should be no need to "smash" into any gear.
humfrz (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #124
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,824 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
How are you holding the knob when you shift? The most common thing I see is people grab it in a death grip ala Fast and Furious which is the very method that should not be used. There should be no need to "smash" into any gear.
@ChuBRZ ..... the shifter knows how to get there, it just wants to be shown where to go.

Iffen you have difficulty shifting at 100 mph ...... maybe you ought not to be driving at 100 mph ...... ya reckon ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote