follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2022, 09:31 PM   #1
Flipp

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, THIS certainly puts a damper to my install weekend :(

Aloha Guys,

Today was gonna be the day that I get to ADD weight (instead of the ever so popular - Remove weight for track/performance purposes) to this beautiful car.

I started to collect the gear I wanted to install in this car.
Name:  GEAR.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  360.9 KB

Then when I got under the carpet in the rear trunk, WHAT? No AMP??
How could this be? I guess I really got the BASE model for sure.

Name:  Trunk_Open.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  394.4 KB

What gives? Guess I definitely need to go behind the Radio to get signal. Or maybe just the rear door speakers if they are there even.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Mike
Attached Images

Flipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:50 AM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Yeah, the base has no amp.

There's some speculation that the rear speakers get a filtered signal from the head unit, might not be the best place to tie in.

What is the plug in the corner by where the amp goes? I'm curious if they're using a similar vehicle harness and just bypassing the amp location...

But it should be pretty easy to grab a signal off either the head unit using a metra 70-xxxx and 71-xxx harnesses to make a pigtail, or jump over to tacotunes.com, and grab a tweeter wiring harness plug for the 16+ tacoma to get the signal after it leaves the head unit.

Also, previous gen install required different screws for mounting speaker rings like that. I just trimmed the adapters down on the corners with a router until the OEM screws grabbed.
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:30 PM   #3
Flipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post

What is the plug in the corner by where the amp goes? I'm curious if they're using a similar vehicle harness and just bypassing the amp location...
I was wondering about that as well, it looks like its part of the electrical in the trunk to release the trunk lid in case you get stuck inside or part of the lighting back there. Dunno really. Ill try and trace it down.

As far as Pigtail harness, its the same as my 2015 Tacoma? I have the OEM Plus in the truck and maybe I can get a harness from those guys for easy plug-n-play if they will sell it to me.

Thanks again
Mike
Old 05-23-2022, 10:03 PM   #4
soundman98

taco tunes sells 2 different harnesses stopping at '15.

05-15:
https://tacotunes.com/shop/toyota-ta...rness-adapter/

16+:
https://tacotunes.com/shop/toyota-ta...ness-adapters/

they look really close, but the plastic appears different. typically, toyota generally keeps to the same harnesses for all vehicles for simplicity, though there's no law about it. honestly, the '16+ harness looks closer to what i recall of my '14 tweeters.

the main advantage to the 16+ tacotune harness specifically is that they provide extra wire on both the 'input' and 'output' sides of the connector that other brands don't, like this version, which has only very short wires that then jumper across the 'input' and 'output' parts of the connector.
https://smile.amazon.com/RED-WOLF-20...75&sr=8-4&th=1

could try to contact oem+, though i haven't heard too many positive indications from others-- oem+ understandably seems to only want to support their own products, and doesn't seem to want to get involved in others projects.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #5
Flipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the main advantage to the 16+ tacotune harness specifically is that they provide extra wire on both the 'input' and 'output' sides of the connector that other brands don't, like this version, which has only very short wires that then jumper across the 'input' and 'output' parts of the connector.
https://smile.amazon.com/RED-WOLF-20...75&sr=8-4&th=1.
I ordered this part and i may need to just cut and re-solder and test to see which wire goes to which (output vs input).

Thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to Flipp For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 11:36 PM   #6
soundman98

yeah, they should work fine, the only disadvantage is that there's only a small amount of wire coming out before it's all spliced together

alternatively, if you're just replacing everything including wiring, you could just connect to the speaker terminal connections on that adapter-- all it's really doing is shorting the connector to send the signal through the existing wiring to the door speakers. if you're re-wiring everything anyways, it won't be of any consequence to leave it that way.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
Flipp

That's the plan. I just needed a plug I can butcher and not having to cut the OEM harness in case I ever need to go back to stock.

I got another set of speakers coming in that will make installation a lot easier.
I just ordered some CDT HD6.5 Mids and Unity 8.0+ Pods with swivels so i don't need to make custom A-pillars and have them on-axis. With the DSP, it should sound pretty good.

Thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to Flipp For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-25-2022)