follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #15
Darth Khan
I think therefore.....

Drives: Toyota 86 860 Halo White (Manual)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumidesh View Post
it was my understanding that you don't want to keep air in the tires for long term storage and that it was better to get the car off the ground and support the hubs? I may be wrong as I have not really had to store cars for a long time.
I would agree with that if I owned a classic vehicle and only used the vehicle at weekends in the summer with very low mileage.

In general I am storing a vehicle only for the winter and will use it as my daily driver in the spring/summer/autumn. There will also be weekends in the winter where I will take the vehicle for a drive. Inflating the tire ensures I do not get flat spots however modern tires are less prone to this issue.

The fact that I am using the vehicle and therefore the tires for most of the year means I will run out of tread long before improper storage and tire aging becomes and issue.

Supporting the hubs is reasonable but only necessary if you are removing the wheels. The natural setup of the suspension with the wheels on mean you are minimizing the stress on the springs, shockers and steering components. (The car is designed that way).

So in Short: Long term storage is for very low mileage vehicles where the tires are expected to last in excess of five years , (at least) that would never happen with my tires.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #16
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
What is considered "long term" storage? My e36 BMW sits for weeks at a time between track events, sometimes a month or two. I just leave it under a car cover on the side of the house...probably not the best storage approach but I have not had any issues in the 2 years I have been doing that.

I keep waiting for it to not start one of these times so I can have an excuse to put a V8 in it...but it just keeps on going (205k+ miles).
Old 09-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #17
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Khan View Post
So in Short: Long term storage is for very low mileage vehicles where the tires are expected to last in excess of five years , (at least) that would never happen with my tires.
Just a comment on this, because I have seen it mentioned a couple of times elsewhere.

Be careful of old, low mileage tires. While they may have lots of tread, depending on how old they are the rubber may have hardened. Not a big deal if you are just cruising around the block, but if you have to make a hard stop or take a corner fast you might unexpectedly find you have significantly less traction.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #18
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My buddy has a quick-jack like this that we've used on a number of cars, our 86's included. They're really great. Sure, it'd be nice if they went a BIT higher, but all things considered this is a great option for a home garage. They are still hundreds less than even the least expensive post-style lift and take a lot less space.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
justinco (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #19
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Just a comment on this, because I have seen it mentioned a couple of times elsewhere.

Be careful of old, low mileage tires. While they may have lots of tread, depending on how old they are the rubber may have hardened. Not a big deal if you are just cruising around the block, but if you have to make a hard stop or take a corner fast you might unexpectedly find you have significantly less traction.
My Hancook RS3's heat cycled out in one season with half the tread still left.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #20
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
FYI, I got the Quickjack pinch weld blocks for my BRZ, since well, it has pinch welds at the jack points.

These work much better than the flat blocks I had in the video. Definitely worth it for our cars.

https://www.quickjack.com/accessorie...er-blocks.html
I would say that the Pinch weld blocks are a necessity for our cars. I've been using mine with the "stock" blocks for about 9 months now, lifted BRZ's 20+ times and the regular blocks will eventually split in half on you. They are softer than the pinch weld blocks and not designed for pinch weld use. They are sold as an accessory on the Quickjack site. Safety first kids.
Attached Images

BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
justinco (07-07-2018), Ultramaroon (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #21
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
I would say that the Pinch weld blocks are a necessity for our cars. I've been using mine with the "stock" blocks for about 9 months now, lifted BRZ's 20+ times and the regular blocks will eventually split in half on you. They are softer than the pinch weld blocks and not designed for pinch weld use. They are sold as an accessory on the Quickjack site. Safety first kids.

Thanks for the help Sorry about taking the block with me during the test drive. haha
The Following User Says Thank You to Soloside For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #22
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,260 Times in 8,619 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Pinch weld blocks are a must with the twin.
Attached Images

Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #23
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloside View Post
Thanks for the help Sorry about taking the block with me during the test drive. haha
When you left I was like..."what the hell happened to my block....". Now we know what that mysterious kluncking noise was! LOL.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #24
fiveoneoh

Drives: none
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Pinch weld blocks are a must with the twin.

For those of you with the Quickjack, instead of using the pinch weld blocks by QJ, could any pinch weld pad that rests securely on the stock block work?

Thinking either of these two styles:

https://www.amazon.com/DEDC-Universa...120729&sr=8-47

https://www.amazon.com/DEDC-Universa...ustomerReviews
fiveoneoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:00 PM   #25
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Just to add to the mix.
Wheel dollies with rounded pan work well for storing. You can even push the car up next to the wall to get more room in the garage.
Also you might consider Danmar MaxJax for just a little more. It is a true two post that will work in most garages. Can not beat a two post for working under a car.
We set one up at my sons house with two sets of anchors for different width cars, and can move it out of the way when not in use. He now just leaves it in place and parks normally between the posts.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (12-28-2020), Opie (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #26
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,096 Times in 2,046 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
Also you might consider Danmar MaxJax for just a little more. It is a true two post that will work in most garages. Can not beat a two post for working under a car.
It looks like when lifting, part of the column rises up. The Quickjacks are great because they aren't a threat to your overhead garage door or drywall if you have that above you in a small space.

I have to agree, 2 post is the ultimate luxury. I wish I could fit one in my garage, I could put my car up for winter storage and still fit the snowblower underneath, rather than having to hope I don't catch my front bumper as I wheel it narrowly by
Old 12-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #27
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
The posts rises to just under 8 feet. measure from the top of your car to the ceiling, this is as far as you can lift. I had one in a 7 foot low bay for rewiring sports cars.
The only problem is if you have a single door with a chain type opener. Some people move the opener to the side, but others, like me, use a shaft drive on the door.
My son even uses his for changing the oil on his wife's mini van, partial lift but better than jack stands
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #28
fiveoneoh

Drives: none
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
*thought this was a thread about quickjack*
fiveoneoh is offline   Reply With Quote