follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 02-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #2241
TRev

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here is my experience...

I have the SoloStorm connectivity package with a GoPro. I used it extensively in 2013 and it is a great program and even more so support was awesome. If data logging is something you are interested in trying, it is a great place to start. I wouldn't dive in too much deeper at the start.

I found that data logging and video took away too much from my concentration and enjoyment. I had messed with data acquisition and video for many years and it started to feel like a job. In 2014, I didn't capture any data or video. I solely focused on course line, car feel, mental replay, competitor feedback, and times.

Data definitely has the potential to make a person and car faster. For me, focusing on my sensory inputs seems to get the job done more effectively. I am confident my car had the setup to potentially win every event I attended this past year. I am not saying my car setup was better only that I had the potential to make up the disparity between my placement in class and first. In the cases where I did not win with similar cars in class, I knew mentally where I had given up time on course that would have allowed me to win. It was a driver issue that I was already aware of and data logging would have only reaffirmed that.
TRev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TRev For This Useful Post:
Biggins (02-18-2015), DylanFRS (02-18-2015), justint5387 (02-17-2015), u/Josh (02-18-2015), VADERR (02-17-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #2242
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRev View Post
Here is my experience...

I have the SoloStorm connectivity package with a GoPro. I used it extensively in 2013 and it is a great program and even more so support was awesome. If data logging is something you are interested in trying, it is a great place to start. I wouldn't dive in too much deeper at the start.

I found that data logging and video took away too much from my concentration and enjoyment. I had messed with data acquisition and video for many years and it started to feel like a job. In 2014, I didn't capture any data or video. I solely focused on course line, car feel, mental replay, competitor feedback, and times.

Data definitely has the potential to make a person and car faster. For me, focusing on my sensory inputs seems to get the job done more effectively. I am confident my car had the setup to potentially win every event I attended this past year. I am not saying my car setup was better only that I had the potential to make up the disparity between my placement in class and first. In the cases where I did not win with similar cars in class, I knew mentally where I had given up time on course that would have allowed me to win. It was a driver issue that I was already aware of and data logging would have only reaffirmed that.
This is interesting. Man, the data collection camp seems so split. My old boss, Kinch Reindl, used to be huge into data collection. He was 3rd STC last year at Nats and I don't think he even had a camera on his car. I asked him about it and he said that logging data was useful because he learned that the tightest line is always fastest and that was all.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #2243
AustinTX
Pawn in game of life

Drives: 19 STX BRZzz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Things data teaches you - stuff you should already know, but feel like you want to try it a different way anyway. Listen to your elders. haha
DylanFRS (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #2244
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
This is interesting. Man, the data collection camp seems so split. My old boss, Kinch Reindl, used to be huge into data collection. He was 3rd STC last year at Nats and I don't think he even had a camera on his car. I asked him about it and he said that logging data was useful because he learned that the tightest line is always fastest and that was all.
That's the EXACT same thing Ive learned from data.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vroom4 For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #2245
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

If I find a co-driver this year that can consistently beat me in my car, would you guys feel differently about the usefulness of data/video?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #2246
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
If I find a co-driver this year that can consistently beat me in my car, would you guys feel differently about the usefulness of data/video?
Maybe?

I used data for the first time at Nats last year. I found it very frustrating. It showed I was more fast-in, slow-out and my co-driver was more slow-in, fast-out, but we ran identical times and overthought everything by the time the event was done. We both coned away our trophy chances on separate days. We were never more than a couple tenths apart either way all season and plenty successful without data.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggins For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #2247
TRev

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Maybe?

I used data for the first time at Nats last year. I found it very frustrating. It showed I was more fast-in, slow-out and my co-driver was more slow-in, fast-out, but we ran identical times and overthought everything by the time the event was done. We both coned away our trophy chances on separate days. We were never more than a couple tenths apart either way all season and plenty successful without data.
I did have one co-drive experience (multiple time National Champ and driver of Eminence) where it was useful. We were seeing something similar to what Biggins described. I was faster all the way through corner exit but my co-driver would carry more speed to the next corner. The end result was he bested me by .041 seconds. As we discussed driving style, the primary difference we found was that he almost solely left foot brakes and I almost never do. Scientifically makes sense due to the time it takes to physically move my foot from the gas pedal to the brake.

My number one goal for this year is to primarily use left foot braking at local events and depending on results/comfort level start doing so at the National level. If I am able to do so effectively, it should make me a faster driver. I spoke to a couple seasoned drivers last year who made the switch. One said that it took him a full season to adjust and the other said it took here a few months.

The other detail that was easy to see from the logs after our co-drive was that I also gained a bit of time off the line due to differences in launch technique.
TRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #2248
qoncept

Garage
Quote:
Maybe?

The point is that you're supposed to act on the data. Try going slower in, figure out what kind of line that gives you and see what it does for your times. If they don't get faster, don't do it anymore.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #2249
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

having a faster co-driver and being able to log them and overlay over your own performance will cut your learning times ten-fold, if not faster.

A single event (5-6 runs) will provide you with tons of data points to analyze and focus on the next event. You'd have to run a whole year side by side to truly learn what makes them faster. A graphical overlay will give you all the "WOW, I see now" moments and make adjusting your driving much easier. (but not on the fly, that is very difficult).

Some people are skeptical because they've been doing it for a very long time, and believe that all anyone needs to do is just drive their cars. Well, datalogging will help you (if you let it) cut down on the amount of driving you need to do before improving.

Like, I only get 4-5 months worth of autocross per year. Last year I did 15 events and was busy nearly every weekend.... my wife certainly did not like that. I had to make every event count.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #2250
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRev View Post
I did have one co-drive experience (multiple time National Champ and driver of Eminence) where it was useful. We were seeing something similar to what Biggins described. I was faster all the way through corner exit but my co-driver would carry more speed to the next corner. The end result was he bested me by .041 seconds. As we discussed driving style, the primary difference we found was that he almost solely left foot brakes and I almost never do. Scientifically makes sense due to the time it takes to physically move my foot from the gas pedal to the brake.

My number one goal for this year is to primarily use left foot braking at local events and depending on results/comfort level start doing so at the National level. If I am able to do so effectively, it should make me a faster driver. I spoke to a couple seasoned drivers last year who made the switch. One said that it took him a full season to adjust and the other said it took here a few months.

The other detail that was easy to see from the logs after our co-drive was that I also gained a bit of time off the line due to differences in launch technique.
I'll have some more good drivers take a spin at test-n-tunes again, but I know my biggest problem is still not looking far enough ahead... and hitting cones. I coned away so many winning/good runs last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
The point is that you're supposed to act on the data. Try going slower in, figure out what kind of line that gives you and see what it does for your times. If they don't get faster, don't do it anymore.
It's tough to act on any data in the middle of the biggest event of the year when our times were identical. We just accepted that we have different driving styles to get to the same place. If I have a codriver and he wants to do data, maybe we'll try it at a test-n-tune this year.

I have to step back a little this year due to the unlucky National schedule, but I'm hoping to do Nationals in CS even though the Thu/Fri run days make it very tough. The only other National event possibility for me looks like the Toledo Match event.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #2251
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Maybe?

If you want to compare yourself to a codriver, being able to break your runs down into sectors is huge. As you noted, you two are fast in different ways and end up with the same time - sectors can help you identify the differences.

This isn't super helpful at nats itself - IMO nats is "put up or shut up" time, and even if you can learn something from day 1 it's probably not going to help you any on day 2 (not true for the pro finale though). You should do this all season long with your codriver so you both can work on your weaknesses. The fastest guys have few weaknesses but are aware of them and know how to cover for them.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #2252
qoncept

Garage
Quote:
It's tough to act on any data in the middle of the biggest event of the year when our times were identical. We just accepted that we have different driving styles to get to the same place. If I have a codriver and he wants to do data, maybe we'll try it at a test-n-tune this year.

I have to step back a little this year due to the unlucky National schedule, but I'm hoping to do Nationals in CS even though the Thu/Fri run days make it very tough. The only other National event possibility for me looks like the Toledo Match event.
Oh, I know. I've been using Solostorm for a year and a half and haven't gained a bit of useful knowledge from it. It's just clunky enough and I'm just dumb enough that I couldn't possibly sit down with it and learn anything, let alone during an event.

But knowing is clearly only half the battle.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #2253
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
Oh, I know. I've been using Solostorm for a year and a half and haven't gained a bit of useful knowledge from it. It's just clunky enough and I'm just dumb enough that I couldn't possibly sit down with it and learn anything, let alone during an event..
You are the second or third person in this thread to mention Solostorm being a bit clunky. I am surprised to hear this, I was thinking it was pretty smooth, especially for the $200 price tag.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #2254
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It is solid if you don't try and get the updates the day they are released. I am downloading the latest version every week, so there is always bugs with the new functions.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote