follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #57
Calavera

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVodka14 View Post
Waiting for OEM brackets and GPS antenna for a clean swap.
Got radio today. Now waiting for the bespoke/aha module to be available, come on Toyota!
Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #58
sega_102

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would you mind taking a video showing the radio, cd, and bluetooth interface? It looks like album art is coming through on Bluetooth now.

Does album art come through with music on a USB flash drive? Does the 3.5mm interface work with this unit (it doesn't on Bespoke)

I'm looking to replace my Bespoke, but if i do, I think I'll go radio only (no modules).

Thanks
sega_102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #59
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
It's a pos because I paid $895 for a touch screen with some not-so-important information... the basic stereo does absolutely everything you just mentioned with the exception of the video inputs (which never interested me).

I shelled out the $895 because I thought it would be real, usable, navigation, not the Zephyr-powered garbage that came with it. It's my fault for not testing it out thoroughly before receiving the car, but it's not excuse for what a poor piece of equipment it is in 2013. I've gotten rid of my iPhone since I got the car, so it just gets worse from there.

I can't even have music playing on my Android when I'm listening to the navigation since for whatever reason Google decide to do away with the navigation slider for sound. For the three-to-four times a month that I go to a new place, and have no idea how to get there, I value the ease of having navigation in my car, which adjusts the sounds to audible levels, provides turn-by-turn directions, and displays the basic map information I need in the head unit. I felt raped of those $895 the second I attempted to use the routing on BeSpoke because the only reason I paid the premium was for that feature.

It's just adding insult to injury when I need to cough up another $1200 to have a navigation system on par with what many companies have had years ago.

Clearly you didn't get it for the navigation, and you're happy with your purchase, and I'm happy for you, but the combination of leaving the old BeSpoke unsupported, and unupgraded, and then releasing a newer system in two trims flat out sucks for me.
I understand what you are saying.. And I agree.. I told the dealer I wanted the base radio. All I wanted was Bluetooth to hear the phone hands free.. I rarely listen to the music in the car.. More driving.. Less music. They gave me the bespoke upgrade no charge.. They really wanted to sell me that car. The base radio don't look as good either. IMO.
I do think we got screwed in the support area as they will never look back to upgrade this unit.. I don't have an iPhone either.. So I was pleasantly surprised to have any functionality.. So it all depends on where your coming from.. I would be just as mad if I paid for it and was expecting something descent.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #60
jacobzking

Drives: White FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
Got radio today. Now waiting for the bespoke/aha module to be available, come on Toyota!
do the entune unit. everyone bitches about the bespoke crap, i love the entune stuff though.
jacobzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #61
|-Goku-|

Drives: 2011 Civic Si
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nice Job OP!
Although, if I could make a suggestion, your original post is kind of confusing about what stuff you need for install, as far as the head unit and the modules. Maybe something like this?
Quote:
First off you'll need the following to install this setup:

MAIN UNIT PT5460-01400 $520
This is the base Scion head unit that comes in the 2014 Scions

Modules:
NAV UNIT pt296-47121 $590
just enables Nav and nothing else that I'm aware of, PRIUS V module. this model has been tested and DOES work in FRS.
-or
NAV UNIT pt296-47130 $900 ***the one I ordered***
enables Nav AND ENTUNE (pandora, bing, moviefone, weather, traffic, open table, stocks, etc...) this is the newer toyota 4Runner model. this model has been tested and DOES work in FRS, just unsure about Apps, etc.
-or
NAV UNIT pt296-00140 $900?
enables Nav and BeSpoke. this is the "correct" part for our cars, but if the EnTune apps will work on our cars, I'd much rather have that over the BeSpoke crap.
so I ordered the EnTune kit which comes with the harness that connects to the head unit, the nav module and an additional "bluetooth" cable.
I'm also curious if this will work in the BRZ
|-Goku-| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #62
yugiooh

Drives: whiteout scion frs
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
so the module prices on top of the main unit price?
yugiooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #63
jacobzking

Looks like it will. I would just assume they would be interchangeable. But rather than assuming, lets compare plugs... PERFECT MATCH. on the FRS head unit 2 plugs are unused, but that is the nav module harness plugs (not on the 2013 FRS anyway). so the subaru has ALL the same plugs. should plug right in!
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #64
jacobzking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugiooh View Post
so the module prices on top of the main unit price?
yeah, you have to have the Head Unit ($525)... and the Nav module ($600-1200 depending on features)
Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #65
oofie

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobzking View Post
yeah, you have to have the Head Unit ($525)... and the Nav module ($600-1200 depending on features)
Might be a stupid question, but the Nav module is not necessary if I just wanted a 6.1" screen, right?

EDIT: Yes, it was a stupid question. Just watched your video on the first post and it's one of the first things you mentioned.
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #66
Pudge Ate Me

Drives: FR-S + Yamaha R6 07'
Quote:
unless it is one of the 2 extra plugs. very possible that if there is a factory sub option, they are using a harness as opposed to RCA plugs. especially considering that the layout of the plugs is the same from 2013 to 2014, but where the old RCA plugs were, now there is a harness connection.
So you lost some of your speakers usability then? Because without the amp being hooked up to the new HU you lose like 2 or 4 speakers right? Or did you find a harness to change the RCA cables?

Never mind, I just ripped out my stock HU and noticed that the RCA holes aren't even in use.

Last edited by Pudge Ate Me; 06-27-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Pudge Ate Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #67
Chase86

Drives: Ultramarine FRS
Have you tried using Voice commands to an iPhone 5 connected via bluetooth? I have the base unit and can't get it to work and really miss being able to use siri to make calls. The fact would seal a purchase for me.
Chase86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #68
applekash

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Any way to get Satellite radio into this unit? I ask because the kit I was using with the first generation bespoke radio worked. I have not tested it with the current radio because the nav/bespoke aha is using the plug already on the new radio...
applekash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #69
jacobzking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase86 View Post
Have you tried using Voice commands to an iPhone 5 connected via bluetooth? I have the base unit and can't get it to work and really miss being able to use siri to make calls. The fact would seal a purchase for me.
yeah, when you're connected to another audio in/out source via bluetooth, the phone will try and use that source (naturally). with the FRS connected, when you use siri, there's a little icon next to the "mic" icon that is like a bluetooth logo in a circle with a line across is (the NO sign). you just push that before you talk and it lets you talk directly to your iphone 5 instead of the bluetooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applekash View Post
Any way to get Satellite radio into this unit? I ask because the kit I was using with the first generation bespoke radio worked. I have not tested it with the current radio because the nav/bespoke aha is using the plug already on the new radio...
dunno yet, that would be nice though.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #70
applekash

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Quote:
yeah, when you're connected to another audio in/out source via bluetooth, the phone will try and use that source (naturally). with the FRS connected, when you use siri, there's a little icon next to the "mic" icon that is like a bluetooth logo in a circle with a line across is (the NO sign). you just push that before you talk and it lets you talk directly to your iphone 5 instead of the bluetooth.

dunno yet, that would be nice though.
I disconnected the nav/bespoke module and connected the sat radio. I could not even change the source. When I reconnected the module I could see a new input had been added "sat".. Couldn't get it to work though when it was connected by itself blah...
applekash is offline   Reply With Quote