follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #15
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unless the aftermarket catted header is compliant with your state’s emissions, it might be illegal anyway. Just because it has a cat doesn’t mean it’s compliant. For example where I live I’d have to go to a shop that is part of a Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS), to get it approved etc. Really couldn’t be bothered, so went with an STI axle back for sound and looks. Stock power isn’t that bad, focus on quality forged rims that are lighter than stock and lowering springs or coil overs. It will handle better, look better and performance is slightly improved.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #16
ThatYeti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Unless the aftermarket catted header is compliant with your state’s emissions, it might be illegal anyway. Just because it has a cat doesn’t mean it’s compliant. For example where I live I’d have to go to a shop that is part of a Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS), to get it approved etc. Really couldn’t be bothered, so went with an STI axle back for sound and looks. Stock power isn’t that bad, focus on quality forged rims that are lighter than stock and lowering springs or coil overs. It will handle better, look better and performance is slightly improved.
Fair points and lighter wheels are in the cards down the road, but i'm already on RCE springs w/PP dampers and like the balance for now. Was just trying to sort out whether I could run the OFT stage 2 tune with the factory '17+ headers since they appear to mimic the aftermarket units for the most part.

Don't really have a desire to make it any louder (I'm an 80-year old thirty something already apparently). Wouldn't mind a lighter exhaust but all the titanium options are $$$ and loud AF.
ThatYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #17
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatYeti View Post
Fair points and lighter wheels are in the cards down the road, but i'm already on RCE springs w/PP dampers and like the balance for now. Was just trying to sort out whether I could run the OFT stage 2 tune with the factory '17+ headers since they appear to mimic the aftermarket units for the most part.

Don't really have a desire to make it any louder (I'm an 80-year old thirty something already apparently). Wouldn't mind a lighter exhaust but all the titanium options are $$$ and loud AF.
I am sure if you want a more custom tune hook up withe one the ppl on the boards to really dial in your oft tune. Stick with the stock header. Then when u get a chance run some e85. Cheaper than a new header

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #18
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Kinda unrelated but the last few posts mentioned sound, so if you guys want improved sound, get some sort of stiff engine mounts - Perrin or Cusco. I have the updated Perrin mounts and the engine noise is now piped into the cabin a lot more directly and has an added metallic zing. It almost sounds like I installed ITBs. Merging onto the highway from on-ramps is a joy now.