follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #1401
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealtaholic View Post
Alright, if you own one of these I can now officially say you have no clue how awesome this car really is until you put it on the track. PDX at DCTC today was was worth every penny! I suppose if I'm entirely honest, there isn't quite enough room out there to really find the edges of what the car is capable of but I did manage to get the tires complaining around many of the corners. I am now certain that I will be taking the BRZ up to BIR for at least one of the proving grounds events. It will be great to see what 4th gear is like.

I will say ayau has the right program going with a set of track tires. After the third session I can definitely see that the Michelins are not really going to tolerate much 'spirited driving.' I will also say it was great to see him on the track with that blue beauty of his! I rather wish we'd been in the same group. I suppose I should have rolled out for one of the open sessions and followed him around but I'm dog tired. Next time for sure!
Were you still on stock pads? If so, how well did they hold up per session? Any noticeable brake fade?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #1402
thealtaholic

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ & 2002 OBP WRX wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
Were you still on stock pads? If so, how well did they hold up per session? Any noticeable brake fade?
Yes, I am still on stock pads. The first session out we did a threshold braking exercise. It was difficult to trigger the ABS, I got one little bump coming down from 50, and a slight shutter coming down from 60. Coming down from 70 to make the corner (not a complete stop) with very late, hard braking and I got a little fade in the next braking zone. It was entirely manageable though on the very short course at DCTC. I don't think they'd be an issue for autocross either. Though, I think after a few laps at BIR braking into 11 is not going to be kind to the stock pads. Before I run it at BIR I will absolutely be upgrading the brake fluid and pads.
thealtaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #1403
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
No fading whatsoever on the xp10. Definitely upgrade to track pads if you're planning to track it. It's one less thing to worry about.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #1404
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Stock pads and stock tires will not fade a DCTC, the speeds are not high enough and the stock pads are quite good for OEM units.

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #1405
Starscream15

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ - DGM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
We made it into the C&C Recap on our way in, Ryan. No other Shots of FR-S/BRZ's though.

http://alexbellusphoto.com/blog/88
Attached Images

Starscream15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream15 For This Useful Post:
neutron256 (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #1406
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
@ayau ; @altaholic -

I would've loved to see you guys run yesterday but I was slammed doing housework. I heard from a few of my car club amigos y'all did great.

I also heard there were a ton of chump cars there

Not that it's a problem, but I'd rather be surrounded by licensed cars that have more to lose and have more invested in their cars than beaters.

Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #1407
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
@ayau ; @altaholic -

I would've loved to see you guys run yesterday but I was slammed doing housework. I heard from a few of my car club amigos y'all did great.

Not that it's a problem, but I'd rather be surrounded by licensed cars that have more to lose and have more invested in their cars than beaters.
Speaking of chump cars, Jason H. (STI owner) easily beat a BMW chump car when he was driving my BRZ.

There was a blue turbo Miata with some very meaty tires. The Miata couldn't keep up in the corners, lol.

It was such a nice feeling being in a zen mode and able to drive the car closer to its limits. I was able to flick the steering wheel to induce a little oversteer even with the super sticky DII tires. I still need a lot more experience manipulating the car's contact patches for better rotation.

I could feel a little too much body roll and the overall car just felt a little "floaty". Stiffer springs and proper dampers should fix that though.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
Chupacabra (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #1408
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A big box of fun just showed up...
Attached Images

Opposed (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #1409
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
@ayau ; @altaholic -

For what it's worth, I know a few of the chump car guys that were out there. Between parts, investment and time, those guys all have an easy $20-30k into their race cars. They probably push harder than most because they need to work kinks out of their cars before the race, but don't be fooled into thinking those are $500 cars to them. They may not all be licensed racers, but their cars are very safe and you can bet they've all got more track experience than just about anyone at a DCTC event.

Awesome (but not surprising!) to hear that the BRZ/FR-S held its own! Hobbs is one of the fastest local autox'rs, so whatever he was doing in the car sets the bar pretty high for the rest of us!

Also excellent to hear that Taras (blue miata) couldn't keep up in the corners; he's a buddy of ours, so we'll definitely be giving him a hard time!

Matt
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #1410
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
For what it's worth, I know a few of the chump car guys that were out there. Between parts, investment and time, those guys all have an easy $20-30k into their race cars. They probably push harder than most because they need to work kinks out of their cars before the race, but don't be fooled into thinking those are $500 cars to them. They may not all be licensed racers, but their cars are very safe and you can bet they've all got more track experience than just about anyone at a DCTC event.

I'm a tad confused then as to what qualifies as a 'chump car' vs other race series cares. I have always been under the impression they aren't able to be more than $500 which explains the intention of my statement.

Either way, I've never entered or run at a PDX and was planning to this summer. I hope all of us can be a part of an event this summer. Maybe @GrimmSpeed could sanction a competitive series for the twins...

Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #1411
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
I'm a tad confused then as to what qualifies as a 'chump car' vs other race series cares. I have always been under the impression they aren't able to be more than $500 which explains the intention of my statement.

Either way, I've never entered or run at a PDX and was planning to this summer. I hope all of us can be a part of an event this summer. Maybe @GrimmSpeed could sanction a competitive series for the twins...
They all have similar rules. The idea is that the value of the car is less than $500, but that excludes safety equipment and a lot of teams are good at fudging it. All I'm saying is that most of them aren't junkyard cars by any stretch. Most of them turn faster laps on the track for hours on end than I'd ever hope to in my 500whp+ sti. Helps that many of them are piloted by driving instructors or current/former professional drivers.

I don't know about sanctioning a series (you guys have done an excellent job of keeping our hands full with design/manufacturing!), but if you're going to be doing much autox, you should get in touch regarding sponsorship opportunities!

Matt
Engineering
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
Chupacabra (04-08-2013), LeeMaster (04-08-2013), neutron256 (04-08-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #1412
DMDZK

Drives: 2007 Cayman
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post

Awesome (but not surprising!) to hear that the BRZ/FR-S held its own! Hobbs is one of the fastest local autox'rs, so whatever he was doing in the car sets the bar pretty high for the rest of us!

Also excellent to hear that Taras (blue miata) couldn't keep up in the corners; he's a buddy of ours, so we'll definitely be giving him a hard time!

Matt
Engineering
I was out there this weekend as well and had a blast in my first track outing. I was driving the grey Cayman that rolled in with Blue Miata, Blue Vette, and Grey STI.

It wasn't the chump cars that get me nervous, they were definitely among the better drivers. the only car that scarred me was that Mercedes that couldn't stop or turn, but knew how to mash the gas in any straights.

Taras seemed to be pretty fast when I rode with him, the lack of traction aids in that Miata are apparent in the tighter corners but that always makes it more interesting since you get to break loose.

Also, best in show track rat of the day:
DMDZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #1413
GrimmSpeed

Haha, the slugworks civic. That car does pretty well at all of the chumpcar races!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #1414
DMDZK

Drives: 2007 Cayman
Thought I'd post up some of the Video I have from that day, so anyone who didn't make it out can see what was missed. Definitely a great time and well worth the money. Didn't get much footage of the all the FRS/BRZ's that were there but I did get a bit of Ayau in the clip below.

Video Description has links to the parts featuring the Miata/Slugworks Civic/BRZ sighting

Obligatory: "Be gentle it is my first time."
[ame="http://youtu.be/vlNGc54RO2E"]http://youtu.be/vlNGc54RO2E[/ame]
DMDZK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DMDZK For This Useful Post:
LeeMaster (04-11-2013)