follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2022, 08:13 AM   #1
ThatYeti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Metallic squeal/scrape sound after doing wheel studs

*Moving this thread as it probably belongs in this section*

So I worked over the winter to replace the wheel studs as the PO had someone go ham on them with an impact gun. Taking them out was simple enough after I recognized the leverage necessary to get the caliper brackets off the front. Did the fronts, test drove and all was well. Finished up the rears a couple weeks ago and now all of a sudden I have a horrible metallic squeal/scraping sound coming from the rear.

Finally had time to take it apart tonight and seemed like the pads were sitting on the rotors so I flexed them a bit to the point where they were spread a bit, buttoned it all up and before I even left the garage, same awful noise. Ideas of what I fucked up?

Car is a '17 PP car that wasn't driven all winter, only has 21k on it and likely the original pads and rotors though both have plenty of meat left. Also car wasn't making this or any other noise prior to me taking on this little project. Thanks in advance.

Quick check now and I can see both rear pads sitting on the rotors, car is off, etc. Other observation I made was I couldn't recall seeing this bracket on the driver's rear before and seemed odd it wasn't connected to anything on one end, but seems it's just there to keep the brake line away from the wheel maybe?

Also what do I need to do to get the pads to sit back off the rotors again?
ThatYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:14 AM   #2
ThatYeti

Odd bracket photo
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2022, 08:26 AM   #3
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,250 Times in 676 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Is the "odd bracket" rubbing the inner lip of the rear wheel? It may have gotten bent.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:34 AM   #4
ThatYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Is the "odd bracket" rubbing the inner lip of the rear wheel? It may have gotten bent.
That's what I was worried about but there's no scraping on the wheel and looking at it with the wheel mounted it's more than 2-3 inches from the inner edge of the tire.