follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2018, 05:22 AM   #1219
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Merry Christmas!

Short video of a PTuning BRZ on Christmas Eve night in Mexico.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #1220
Mrc@ptuning

Drives: S1000RR
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6freak View Post
Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the christmas gift Happy Holidays everyone!
Mrc@ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #1221
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Screw all you guys in this thread! This thread is just terrible for my wallet! LoL!
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #1222
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Screw all you guys in this thread! This thread is just terrible for my wallet! LoL!
Ikr. Lool.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #1223
WC-BRZ

Quote:
Merry Christmas!

I keep thinking that your car may be a unique exception in terms of your reliability after going FI. I believe you mentioned you have 50k miles (or was it 30k miles?) after FI? And the block and transmission is stock?

Aside from properly tuned FA20s blowing up there are plenty of issues popping up with the transmission not being able to keep up either.

Have you had any issues with 3rd and 4th gear yet?

Also, do you track the car a few times per year at least or is it strictly a street car?
Old 01-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #1224
rb6freak

Quote:
I keep thinking that your car may be a unique exception in terms of your reliability after going FI. I believe you mentioned you have 50k miles (or was it 30k miles?) after FI? And the block and transmission is stock?

Aside from properly tuned FA20s blowing up there are plenty of issues popping up with the transmission not being able to keep up either.

Have you had any issues with 3rd and 4th gear yet?

Also, do you track the car a few times per year at least or is it strictly a street car?
50K on the turbo kit total, 30K on my second BRZ (20K first BRZ). I switched cars due to being unfortunate with my first car that suffered from phantom knock at partial throttle uphill. My power was also less overall compared to friends cars with the same kit. Was never able to find the problem with the phantom knock and it wasn't the tune.

No issues with tranny. I change gear oil once a year with motul 75 90 if I recall correctly. I also don't run tons of power, 91 octane street ~9psi and 101 octane track ~12psi with more ignition timing advance. I'm tuned to 15.5 psi up to 7700rpm but I simply just don't ever switch to that max power on my maps/solenoid, no need to risk it.

I tracked my first car dozens of times. My second one has only seen a few track days as I haven't been out to the track in a long while.

Edit: Both cars I went turbo pretty much at a few hundred miles on the ODO. Block and tranny stock.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #1225
WC-BRZ

Quote:
50K on the turbo kit total, 30K on my second BRZ (20K first BRZ). I switched cars due to being unfortunate with my first car that suffered from phantom knock at partial throttle uphill. My power was also less overall compared to friends cars with the same kit. Was never able to find the problem with the phantom knock and it wasn't the tune.

No issues with tranny. I change gear oil once a year with motul 75 90 if I recall correctly. I also don't run tons of power, 91 octane street ~9psi and 101 octane track ~12psi with more ignition timing advance. I'm tuned to 15.5 psi up to 7700rpm but I simply just don't ever switch to that max power on my maps/solenoid, no need to risk it.

I tracked my first car dozens of times. My second one has only seen a few track days as I haven't been out to the track in a long while.

Edit: Both cars I went turbo pretty much at a few hundred miles on the ODO. Block and tranny stock.
Sounds good.

Just to be sure, you have the GTX2867r, correct? At around what rpm would you say the kit reaches full boost and how would you compare lag to other kits that use shorter piping (i.e. pretty much all other kits that are using a front-mount turbo and, as a result, shorter piping).
Old 01-12-2019, 03:50 AM   #1226
rb6freak

Quote:
Sounds good.

Just to be sure, you have the GTX2867r, correct? At around what rpm would you say the kit reaches full boost and how would you compare lag to other kits that use shorter piping (i.e. pretty much all other kits that are using a front-mount turbo and, as a result, shorter piping).
Yes 2867. Reaching full boost can depend on the WG spring setup, running single or dual reference lines to the WG, and who is controlling the boost solenoid and how. I tried pulling up my log files to find out but I couldn't find a good example, I did all of my tuning pulls rolling on the throttle between 2-3k RPM (reaching WOT at 3k). I'm afraid I don't have an exact answer for you on when max boost is or can be achieved, however I can tell you my butt dyno enjoys the car very much 4000-redline.

I'm running a 7lbs single spring in my CompGate40. I chose to configure my own boost solenoid in my case, rather than having the tune control it. The tune would be much better at reaching max boost faster than my AEM TruBoost. My boost controller is very simple and the way I set it up, it reaches max boost in a more linear fashion. It is a simple solenoid that is not referencing the actual MAP, only a predefined WG spring number and duty cycles. If I were to do it over again, I'd have my tuner control the boost.

As for lag, I'm no expert. I've driven one other turbo BRZ with a Greddy turbo, it didn't feel as exciting is all I can tell you for comparison LOL. I do daily drive a newer WRX and my 2867 setup doesn't spool as fast as that turbo that's for sure. But my 2867 doesn't bitch out towards redline either haha.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:54 AM   #1227
BlaqkHavok

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok so quick question... freddy or anyone else in the community who has this kit... what rear swaybars you suggesting or using to complement the ptuning turbo front away? I'm installing this on a 2017 BRZ PP and would love to keep the same front to rear ratio on the swaybars as it is in stock form... pretty much want it to be the same balance to stock, just stiffer all around.. this is to complement a set of KW v3s(dont know if they are the newer spring rates or the legacy [f6k/r7k] springrates)

Thank you!
BlaqkHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #1228
rb6freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqkHavok View Post
Ok so quick question... freddy or anyone else in the community who has this kit... what rear swaybars you suggesting or using to complement the ptuning turbo front away? I'm installing this on a 2017 BRZ PP and would love to keep the same front to rear ratio on the swaybars as it is in stock form... pretty much want it to be the same balance to stock, just stiffer all around.. this is to complement a set of KW v3s(dont know if they are the newer spring rates or the legacy [f6k/r7k] springrates)

Thank you!

I went with PTuning 18mm. https://www.ptuning.com/subdir/itemd...&ModelDesc=BRZ
Old 06-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #1229
BlaqkHavok

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
thank you! driving impressions VS stock? as in F/R balance? i have a 17 PP BRZ and im lookng to keep the same balance and feel.. just more aggressive and able to make use of the 265pilot SS tires...

thank you
BlaqkHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #1230
rb6freak

Quote:
driving impressions VS stock? as in F/R balance?

Can't help you there. I never drove this car stock, other than home from the dealer so I could install the turbo
Old 06-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #1231
tom@ptuning

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
thank you! driving impressions VS stock? as in F/R balance? i have a 17 PP BRZ and im lookng to keep the same balance and feel.. just more aggressive and able to make use of the 265pilot SS tires...

thank you
One of the advantages of our turbo kit is that since it is a mid mount turbo setup it keeps the weight lower. Our kit weighs under 100lbs, most of which is low mounted and near the middle of the vehicle. Because of this it retains a very balanced, like stock feel. We have corner balanced several of these cars with our turbo kit and it is close to stock in terms of weight distribution.
tom@ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:32 AM   #1232
WC-BRZ

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if the owners in this thread were able to get some kind of a deal on this kit - perhaps even around black friday or holiday season or whatever it may be.

Would any current owner(s) be able to share via pm if they got a better price?

On the website it shows $6,200 for the V2 kit with 2867R, I believe, and ohhhh MAN, is that priced in the stratosphere!

Tags
ptuning, turbo kit