follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #29
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I don't have any info to the contrary, but I don't think most stations would have a separate alcohol only tank installed.
Extra infrastructure, ground space, more complicated routing and pumps.

Wouldn't surprise me if the deep south does it because, uh ... uhm.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #30
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
I don't have any info to the contrary, but I don't think most stations would have a separate alcohol only tank installed.
Extra infrastructure, ground space, more complicated routing and pumps.

Wouldn't surprise me if the deep south does it because, uh ... uhm.
Tanks get filled wrong more then you would think. Like diesel in the 87 pump or vice versa. But flex fuel wont save you there lol.

Always get a receipt.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #31
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
Thanks. Make it two.
Let me state it one more time, just to be clear.

In theory, you CAN get identical results.

In reality, you WILL NOT get identical results.

Get Ecutek.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #32
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Do you have "reality" test cases to back that claim?

Of course cases with variables eliminated, like same tuner, that is competent with both ecutek & oft, that has modified same tables of timings/fueling and so on, and have not used some possible extra logic that may affect those changes, that car on same dyno same day showed different output with Ecutek vs OFT?

Yes, there are more professional tuners/shops that work with ecutek due ability to lock their work. Yes, some of they can make better tune then eg. worse tuner, so that may back customer's wish to choose their services to get most gains. Yes, some features of Ecutek may make tuning easier and quicker, saving time & money on expensive dyno. Yes, ecutek provides some extra features/code some users may wish to get. But that doesn't make it fair apples to apples comparison to make such claim that it's tuning solution fault and with OFT one will get consistently worse tune just because it's OFT even if basic tuning is considered. Different tuners, different tune, different result. Eliminate variables first. Or use different wording to not confuse. It's not reality vs theory. Cause and effect is one tuner vs other tuner doing different tunes. Or one tuner knowing one of tuning solutions much better .. and producing different tune. Otherwise that sounds like advertising of specific products vs belittling others.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #33
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post

Of course cases with variables eliminated, like same tuner, that is competent with both ecutek & oft, that has modified same tables of timings/fueling and so on, and have not used some possible extra logic that may affect those changes, that car on same dyno same day showed different output with Ecutek vs OFT?

Yes, there are more professional tuners/shops that work with ecutek due ability to lock their work. Yes, some of they can make better tune then eg. worse tuner, so that may back customer's wish to choose their services to get most gains. Yes, some features of Ecutek may make tuning easier and quicker, saving time & money on expensive dyno. Yes, ecutek provides some extra features/code some users may wish to get. But that doesn't make it fair apples to apples comparison to make such claim that it's tuning solution fault and with OFT one will get consistently worse tune just because it's OFT even if basic tuning is considered. Different tuners, different tune, different result. Eliminate variables first. Or use different wording to not confuse. It's not reality vs theory. Cause and effect is one tuner vs other tuner doing different tunes. Or one tuner knowing one of tuning solutions much better .. and producing different tune. Otherwise that sounds like advertising of specific products vs belittling others.
Man I got half way through that 2nd paragraph and all I could hear was the adults from the Peanuts cartoon!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #34
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post

I do. Your only choice for tuner with an OFT, is Shiv.

Case closed.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #35
redhalo

Drives: MY20 Hakone Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

Case closed.
Well, and Wayne. His OFT tune has been waaaaaay better than Shivs off the shelf tune for me.
redhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redhalo For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #36
stlgrym3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Case closed.
And good luck get a hold of him when you need to.
stlgrym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stlgrym3 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #37
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
OFT, Stage 2 E85 tune, v4 Beta. No FFK. Your fuel trims will stay within a safe range, no CEL between 60-90% ethanol on OFT. After that your fuel trims will get very high and possibly get a CEL.

I've been running E85 most of the time since last January. No problems with ethanol content around here, I mostly use Thorntons. I have never tested

I have an AFR gauge to watch how lean I'm getting and it's never gotten lean at all (or rich for that matter). When I fill up I load up Torque Pro and watch the fuel trims, no problems so far. Even if you try and use E85 on the default tune, it won't blow up your engine as long as you don't go WOT, but your car will run like shit & cause a CEL. The car does a good job of adjusting fuel trims to keep your engine safe.

IMHO if you are a person who likes to tinker and monitor, you don't need a FFK as long as you are careful and have the tools. If you are a hands off person who just wants to set it and forget it, you need a FFK.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:15 PM   #38
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

Case closed.
or try to learn yourself.

But the reality for the majority of people is they want it done right and not have to fiddle with it, so Ecutek and flex fuel are the obvious choice.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #39
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Op learned absolutely nothing here lol.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-13-2018), MCTeeJ (09-14-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #40
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I've tried the OFT stage 2 E85 tunes a couple different times (on a P&L EL header) - I do feel a bit of a difference but I swear it doesn't really feel that impressive at all! Header upgrade was a significantly bigger difference IMHO - maybe I'm doing something wrong. Fuel trims look fine btw. Maybe it's a subtle thing? I have to drive 20 minutes to Greenwich to get E85, so I just run 93.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote