follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonborghini View Post
It's not a highway car but i drove mine across the country from Pennsylvania to California, Interstate 80 all the way. I loved ever minute and mile of it and look forward to driving my FR-S back East some day soon. So, if you ask me,
it is a fine highway car.
I spend 14 hours a week on the highway and it beats hell out of some of the stuff I have drove.
Dadhawk (10-08-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #44
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Pros:

Drinking coffee while driving
Eating while driving
Grabbing boobs while driving
Coasting in traffic in D

Cons:
Lack of launch
Can't be cool like every one else

Also, in a 45-50 second autocross course I've bested some MT times, so perhaps not as big of a deal as one thinks

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
Campo (10-09-2015), soulreapersteve (10-07-2015), Tcoat (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #45
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Also, many people dismiss this tranny before even trying it. A few people have rode along and it changed their opinion

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
Campo (10-09-2015), soulreapersteve (10-07-2015), Tcoat (10-07-2015), why? (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #46
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
" Question is, should I go for the AT FRS or am I better off looking for 'just another sedan'? "

I'd say...does the car fit you when you sit inside ? Fits me (5'7" tall, 140#) perfectly, like a glove.

Did you test drive it, liking it immediately ? I couldn't get it off the lot, on a test drive, before realizing I wanted one.

Can you live with no useable back seat ?

Do you love driving FORWARD, not concerned with blind spots, backing up with a poor view, parking, not knowing just where the front or rear of the car exactly is (viewed from driver's seat) ?

Can you live with very slight wind noise at freeway speeds ?

This car is just fine as a freeway cruiser, knowing that there are also those twisty roads (on non work days) for way more fun...where it certainly excels.

I would suggest a reflecting color for your climate, as this car gets hot inside quickly from the sun.

This is certainly a DRIVER'S car. If driving is one's primary interest, this is one of the very few 'lotta bang for the buck' new cars worth considering.

This car is refined more than a Lotus Elise, yet not quite a Porsche Cayman in that sense.
This car is for one who does not want a convertible.

Personal note: My FRS (purchased new) is one year old this week. Currently about 22,400 miles on it. I'm still in lust, and way more than my Mustang GT which has power, not needed or expected from the FRS. The FRS just flies around corners...and I've found that's what I like most.

Last edited by ToySub1946; 10-07-2015 at 10:02 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
Campo (10-09-2015), Hoahao (10-08-2015), Tcoat (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #47
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This is not exclusive to the FR-S/BRZ, but for all cars in general, you have to go and test out the car to make an informed judgement. Forget what you have read or heard and just go drive it. I've sat in cars that I was sure I would like, but end up walking away unsatisfied. I wasn't sure about the twins, but when I sat in one and got to test drive it I genuinely enjoyed it.

Go to your local dealer and get a test drive. You'll know if it's right for you pretty quickly.
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joyride86 For This Useful Post:
Campo (10-09-2015), Dadhawk (10-08-2015), strat61caster (10-07-2015), Tcoat (10-07-2015), ToySub1946 (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #48
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You have been called a troll once?
How cute!
I may hold the forum record. Mostly because people only read parts of what is said and make presumptions.

There is nothing wrong with debate and it is the internet so opinions differ but some things are just so common and predictable they piss me off sometimes.

The "truth hurts" works both ways. Just because you say it doesn't make it true. It is how people deal with things that can change a debate to a shit throwing match. I usually try to walk away after I fling my first pile but sometimes the temptation is just too much. I am sure there are a few that think they "won" a debate simply because I realized I was wasting my time and walked away. The best guys here are the ones that can have a heated debate in one thread and carry on normal with the same people in another. Bygones need to exist.

No thread of value can ever truly be derailed. If it is strong enough it will come back on track. If it is too weak to come back it was done anyway.

I desperately try hard not to get into a debate, but I am weak willed and love debating. Most times it is not worth it, but it is fun saying something that is so far out of what most people will ever hear in the normal course of their day it is so worth it.

to op: buy one! You can always tell people it is just a rear wheel drive base Impreza.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #49
clbembry

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Still implies that the MT makes a car guy even if "easier". The Prius driver trying to squeeze every MPG out of his car is a car guy. The minivan driver that has added every possible luxury item they can is a car guy. The 14 year old that has never been behind the wheel but has posters on the wall (do they still do that?) and can reel off every spec in the book is a car guy. What tranny you drive, what wheels propel the car, how fast you make it can go, etc does not make you a car guy unto it's self. I know it is all semantics but the whole "you don't drive MT", "if you don't track you don't drive", "you ruined the car by slamming it", "my opinion is truth" stuff bugs me sometimes (and I am as guilty as anybody of some of those on occasion)

Sorry, wasn't going off on you so much as the comment. I was waiting for it to pop up and you were just the lucky first entry. I will shut up now.

I mean on a psychological level, and while this is not fact based, I believe it would make it easier for him to transition from using cars as a mode of transportation to driving as a form of entertainment. Why exactly? I'm not sure. But like you said, driving a manual has nothing to do with how much of a "car guy" you are. My little sister drives stick but couldn't care less about which car she drives as long as it moves.
clbembry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clbembry For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-08-2015), Tcoat (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #50
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
"I mean on a psychological level, and while this is not fact based, I believe it would make it easier for him to transition from using cars as a mode of transportation to driving as a form of entertainment."

Wow, I never quite stated driving in such words.

I've been driving since age nine. Always thought of it as the most fun to do thing I've ever known.

Now there's a word for it...entertainment...how great ! LOL
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
clbembry (10-07-2015), Hoahao (10-08-2015), strat61caster (10-08-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #51
Campo

Drives:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
FRS for "non-car guy"

I think we already scared off the OP but I'm gonna throw my fuel on the fire anyway because I love the AT vs MT argument and @Tcoat isn't the only asshole with an opinion.

I daily an AT in Phoenix and I have since December 2013.
It's the first automatic I've bought that had an option (big trucks don't often come in manual).
I've been driving since 1984.
I actually prefer a manual in traffic because coastiiiiiing.
I track my car on a regular basis and I'm faster than the manuals.
I tangled with a BMW 435 today and he said 'your car is quick' when we stopped. To be fair, my car is no longer stock. It's not FI, but you'd be amazed what an e85 tune can do.

Aaaaaaaall of that shit said, I would buy a manual if I had never owned one before just to learn it and enjoy the sublimeness that is wrist-flicking through gears.

And whoever said you can't get banned here, are you new here? LoL

Enjoy what ever you choose OP and listen to @humfrz on the color advice.

Tapatalk - because smoke signals would be too easy.
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Campo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-08-2015), Tcoat (10-08-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 11:47 PM   #52
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Just adding my 2 cents to the car-guy vs non-car-guy argument. This is just my opinion but a non-car-guy becomes a car-guy the moment they view a vehicle as anything more than a means to an end. Key examples of this moment are when you want to drive just to enjoy driving or when you see a nice car you haven't seen before and you stop to find out more about it.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Braces (10-08-2015), Campo (10-09-2015), clbembry (10-08-2015), Dadhawk (10-08-2015), drewbot (10-08-2015), Joyride86 (10-08-2015), meWant (10-08-2015), soulreapersteve (10-08-2015), Tcoat (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 12:21 AM   #53
CrispyCheddar

Drives: the white one
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
I wont try to be rational because sports-cars are first and foremost an emotional thing. There are a thousand reasons for NOT buying one and if your really want one, none of them are going to matter.

In my definition of a meaningful life, every man should own a sports car and sleep with a redhead at least once before they die.
DONE and DONE, whats next?

BUT, anyways. Basically what everyone said.
IF you plan on doing some autocrosses or track days then you should probably go with the manual. besides, it wont hurt to know how to drive one. If you're only going to DD it on the highway, just get the AT. You will get better fuel economy. But thats your preference.

As for a child, I keep my track set on my back seat. they arent folded down. so a child WILL work. By the time you do get a child, Im sure you'll already have fallen in love with the subaru heart and end up getting a WRX.

CC
JUST DO IT
Old 10-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #54
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Just adding my 2 cents to the car-guy vs non-car-guy argument. This is just my opinion but a non-car-guy becomes a car-guy the moment they view a vehicle as anything more than a means to an end. Key examples of this moment are when you want to drive just to enjoy driving or when you see a nice car you haven't seen before and you stop to find out more about it.

What he said. My moment was on the bus seeing a yellow S2000 and wondered "what the hell was that??"
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:42 AM   #55
Dake

Drives: FR-S
I think you'll be quite happy moving up from a Cobalt, unless yours was an SS in which case it's a step down HP-wise. Even then, the FR-S will be nicer in every other way except off the line.

I've been DD'ing mine for three years now and it's great. It does just fine on the highway and I've never had problems passing.

Since you've never driven a stick before, you won't have any bad habits from other sticks to unlearn. This one can be finicky compared to some manuals and can take some getting used to otherwise. That being said, every review I've read says the AT on this car is really good so get what you're comfortable with.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:49 AM   #56
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
............... The other was my 70 Coronet R/T that pulled high 12s on the strip on a regular basis (that was more impressive in the 70s than it sounds now). .............
Ain't THAT the truth ......!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-08-2015)