follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #1
Escher

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Sudden torque hiccup around 5500 RPM in 2nd/3rd

2015 FR-S + JRSC C30 @ ~80K miles. Good 91 fuel always, spark plugs changed ~5K miles ago.

Recently - as of about 1 month ago - I have started to get a very brief torque dip around 5500-6k RPM. I feel the slightest lurch and notice the sudden decrease in power. I don't feel it happening in 1st, however it's very noticeable in 2nd and sometimes noticeable in 3rd. It's always at the same RPM. To be clear, this is not the "torque Valley" that plagues untuned FA20s. I installed a JR C30 supercharger about a year ago, and have had zero problems until now.

I have an ecutek setup, and if someone can give me the best sensors to track, I can do a data read of the event.

ADDITIONALLY: About 2 weeks ago, I was at WOT in 3rd entering a highway. I suddenly had a huge power DIP at around 6K/6.5K, flashing check engine light, and a cylinder 3 miss fire in ODB. This has only happened this one time, and I'm not certain it's related but would assume good chance. The torque dip issue was happening *before* this incident, and has continued since. W/ the Ecutek dashboard I have confirmed there is no misfire or engine knock count at all during these torque dips.

Any advice on proceeding with diagnosis? Everything else is stock besides a muffler delete axle back, but that install was months ago and does not coincide with the behavior.

Thank you!

Last edited by Escher; 05-25-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Escher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
May be a coil pack going out. Swap out the passenger side front-most coil pack and see if that helps.

Take a datalog and upload it to datazap so we can see
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Escher (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #3
Escher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
May be a coil pack going out. Swap out the passenger side front-most coil pack and see if that helps.

Take a datalog and upload it to datazap so we can see
How serendipitous, just got into a discussion on a different forum where coil pack was the first thing mentioned.

For the datalog, are we referring to the whole shebang laptop-based log via the Ecutek software? Or is there a specific cross-section of sensors I can load into the phone app dashboard and log that would suffice?
Old 05-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
How serendipitous, just got into a discussion on a different forum where coil pack was the first thing mentioned.

For the datalog, are we referring to the whole shebang laptop-based log via the Ecutek software? Or is there a specific cross-section of sensors I can load into the phone app dashboard and log that would suffice?
I would say to use the laptop logging trough ECUtek, as it can monitor fuel trims and everything else for easy reference
Old 05-25-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Serendipity has nothing to do with it. It the classic symptoms of a coil pack going bad.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:05 AM   #6
Escher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Serendipity has nothing to do with it. It the classic symptoms of a coil pack going bad.
From the perspective of someone who doesn't want to hear "oh, that's probably [thing which requires removing the block and replacing internal component]", I'd say it's extremely serendipitous.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Its a coil pack for sure. Blinking CEL is a mis-fire and normally tied to coil-pack. You also have a 2013 which they are known to fail, your boosted which causes more heat in the engine bay. Main thing you need to see what cylinder is mis-firing and replace that coil pack. Your Bluetooth app with ecutek can show you this.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Escher (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 12:30 AM   #8
Escher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Its a coil pack for sure. Blinking CEL is a mis-fire and normally tied to coil-pack. You also have a 2013 which they are known to fail, your boosted which causes more heat in the engine bay. Main thing you need to see what cylinder is mis-firing and replace that coil pack. Your Bluetooth app with ecutek can show you this.
2015 actually! Missed the big issue bullet by that much.

But you all were spot on: coil pack was the haps. I found an outstanding deal on a full set of 4 packs, and since I am @ 80K anyway - when they're supposed to be replaced around 70K - I decided to swap the lot (what absolutely baffles me is the fact that I didn't come across any sources specifically mentioning them for the 65-70K maintenance; spark plugs were always mentioned, but not the coil packs...).

It feels like I'm driving a new car again. I don't know how long that pack (or multiple) were screwing with my power, but everything feels so much smoother on power now. Torque hiccups are a thing of the past as well.

An interesting datapoint and question: last night, upon starting the car after it was sitting for 10+ hours, I had a CEL. The following codes were thrown:

P1072 (System Too Rich Bank 1)
P117B (Direct Injector Fuel Performance)
P1170 (Direct Injector Fuel Performance)

Along with an ABS code and persistent light (plus orange cruise control light that can't be turned off once turned on):

C1201

Could these issues have been related to the bad coil pack(s)? I investigated this collection of codes, and it sounds like most people attribute them to vacuum or intake leaks. I went ahead and cleaned the MAF, and tomorrow I am going to do the EVAP line clamp, along with a smoke test.

The codes have not come back on today or since the coil + MAF work.

Completely unrelated: discovered a leak in the banjo joint on my JRSC C30 centrifugal blower while I was in there .

That'll be the next thing I suppose...
Old 05-28-2021, 12:33 AM   #9
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:
2015 actually! Missed the big issue bullet by that much.

But you all were spot on: coil pack was the haps. I found an outstanding deal on a full set of 4 packs, and since I am @ 80K anyway - when they're supposed to be replaced around 70K - I decided to swap the lot (what absolutely baffles me is the fact that I didn't come across any sources specifically mentioning them for the 65-70K maintenance; spark plugs were always mentioned, but not the coil packs...).

It feels like I'm driving a new car again. I don't know how long that pack (or multiple) were screwing with my power, but everything feels so much smoother on power now. Torque hiccups are a thing of the past as well.

An interesting datapoint and question: last night, upon starting the car after it was sitting for 10+ hours, I had a CEL. The following codes were thrown:

P1072 (System Too Rich Bank 1)

P117B (Direct Injector Fuel Performance)

P1170 (Direct Injector Fuel Performance)

Along with an ABS code and persistent light (plus orange cruise control light that can't be turned off once turned on):

C1201

Could these issues have been related to the bad coil pack(s)? I investigated this collection of codes, and it sounds like most people attribute them to vacuum or intake leaks. I went ahead and cleaned the MAF, and tomorrow I am going to do the EVAP line clamp, along with a smoke test.

The codes have not come back on today or since the coil + MAF work.

Completely unrelated: discovered a leak in the banjo joint on my JRSC C30 centrifugal blower while I was in there .

That'll be the next thing I suppose...
We're these stored codes or were triggered after the coil packs swapped? Bit confused.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Old 05-28-2021, 12:51 AM   #10
Escher

Quote:
We're these stored codes or were triggered after the coil packs swapped? Bit confused.

Sorry for the ambiguity, here's the timeline:

- Beginning of May through today: torque hiccups in 2nd/3rd @ ~5K RPM
- 24 hours ago: Turn on car and received CEL with aforementioned rich fuel/ABS codes
- 3 hours ago: Replaced all coil packs + cleaned MAF
- Drive home city + highway: Smooth AF power, no torque hiccups, no CELs

Old 05-28-2021, 01:15 AM   #11
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:
Sorry for the ambiguity, here's the timeline:

- Beginning of May through today: torque hiccups in 2nd/3rd @ ~5K RPM

- 24 hours ago: Turn on car and received CEL with aforementioned rich fuel/ABS codes

- 3 hours ago: Replaced all coil packs + cleaned MAF

- Drive home city + highway: Smooth AF power, no torque hiccups, no CELs
They can if the condition of the coil packs were that bad. They can cause minor miss fires at high rpms all they way down to no starts and other weird problems.

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Escher (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 01:23 AM   #12
Escher

Quote:
They can if the condition of the coil packs were that bad. They can cause minor miss fires at high rpms all they way down to no starts and other weird problems.

Good copy. I'll see what the smoke test tomorrow turns up, but either way definitely clamping those EVAP lines. Thanks for the feedback!

The Following User Says Thank You to Escher For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (05-28-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #13
Escher

OK, annoying update...

Yesterday, after almost exactly a month from replacing all of the cool packs with brand new ones (fixing all issues beautifully), one of them has started to go again.

Same torque hiccups, same RPMs, same gear.

I have a theory as to why, but first I'm hoping to get unbiased opinions on what would cause brand new coil packs to fail again only one month after replacement.

No tracking, definitely spirited accelerating though since. Thanks for the help all.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
OK, annoying update...

Yesterday, after almost exactly a month from replacing all of the cool packs with brand new ones (fixing all issues beautifully), one of them has started to go again.

Same torque hiccups, same RPMs, same gear.

I have a theory as to why, but first I'm hoping to get unbiased opinions on what would cause brand new coil packs to fail again only one month after replacement.

No tracking, definitely spirited accelerating though since. Thanks for the help all.

Coil packs and heat do not play well together.
How hot is it there now?
The SC shouldn't cause that much heat but if you are running an unshielded header...

Tags
dip, engine, misfire, torque