follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #183
kraftyone

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The price is with camber plates and top hats.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
kraftyone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kraftyone For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 10:04 AM   #184
MacSpeed

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftyone View Post
So I am considering switching my first gen from DS to STX next season. I reached out to Shaftworks for coilover recommendations and this is what I got back. Anyone have thoughts about it?

I have a set of them on my '22 and zero complaints. same rates. They take a while to build/ship so plan accordingly. Mine took just about 2 months from the time I ordered
MacSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:19 PM   #185
Yetti

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftyone View Post
So I am considering switching my first gen from DS to STX next season. I reached out to Shaftworks for coilover recommendations and this is what I got back. Anyone have thoughts about it?

You can buy any rate swift springs for $173 a pair on ebay.
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #186
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Hey guys, got a few questions about stx legality.

-I see a lot of the bushing inserts on your cars but the rules say bushings can't be modified/changed. Is there any clarification here?
Quote:
Subframe mount bushings may be replaced, but must attach in the
standard location(s) without additional modification or changes.
-Just checking, final drive and updated differential swaps are not allowed right?
Old 11-05-2022, 12:26 PM   #187
Eric1855

Drives: LP DSP / CSP '13 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Hey guys, got a few questions about stx legality.

-I see a lot of the bushing inserts on your cars but the rules say bushings can't be modified/changed. Is there any clarification here?

-Just checking, final drive and updated differential swaps are not allowed right?
You can modify the bushing, but cant modify where they mount.

You can change out the differential, but cannot change the final drive ratio.
Eric1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric1855 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (11-05-2022), strat61caster (11-05-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 12:49 PM   #188
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
“Replaced” means you can change them to another design or non metallic compound.

I ‘replaced’ mine with oe + whiteline inserts.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Spuds (11-05-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 02:33 PM   #189
bslate3

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The crazy off-season has officially started.

I’m gonna focus mainly on maintenance. I thought about doing new ignition coils but have been told that since my BRZ is a 2015 I shouldn’t have to worry about one failing.
Also it’s about time for new spark plugs and figured while I’m messing with that, while having the engine of the mounts, might as well put nether engine mounts in. What’s the preferred and legal engine mounts? Might do the STI ones (don’t want to go overkill on stiffness) not sure if there are any other ones that are just as good and preferably cheaper lol
bslate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:49 PM   #190
strat61caster
-

fwiw csg recommend new plugs and coilpacks every 60k regardless of year. 30k for dedicated track (comp) use. And they recommend oe parts so it’s not like they make money on the rec.

14.10.J you can put it any mount you want unless it’s a weight reduction.

I’m leaning more towards transmission Mount after 120k on my car, feels like some slop in the driveline has developed that motor mounts alone won’t fix.
bslate3 (12-11-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 05:36 PM   #191
nathand

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslate3 View Post
The crazy off-season has officially started.

I’m gonna focus mainly on maintenance. I thought about doing new ignition coils but have been told that since my BRZ is a 2015 I shouldn’t have to worry about one failing.
Also it’s about time for new spark plugs and figured while I’m messing with that, while having the engine of the mounts, might as well put nether engine mounts in. What’s the preferred and legal engine mounts? Might do the STI ones (don’t want to go overkill on stiffness) not sure if there are any other ones that are just as good and preferably cheaper lol
I found this handy maint guide It says you should still do the coil packs and new O2 sensor.
nathand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nathand For This Useful Post:
bholliday (01-04-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 07:25 PM   #192
smeowkey

Drives: 2018
Seeking Advice

My current alignment (see attached photo) is great but my tire wear from last year has proved that I still need more camber, front and rear.

I'm very under-prepped in STX:
  • SPC rear lower controls arms
  • Raceseng CasCam front top mounts
  • OE crash bolts
  • 17x8 720Form +35
  • RT660
  • some minor brake upgrades but that's all minor/irrelevant
I have brand new Nankangs that I'm holding off until I get more camber or destroy my current 660's; I've flipped my 660's and aim to finish this season off.

I want to get more camber and naturally my mind wanders into coilovers, sway bars, wider wheels, and other suspension components but then I think... this is Ontario (Canada) where we don't really have the large smooth lots or harsh concrete pads that I often hear about in the USA. The stock suspension really is superb and with barely 60k km on my BRZ I feel hard pressed to upgrade anything.

I just want more camber!!!

What do I need to get my front camber to at least -3.5?
What do I need to get my rear camber to -2.0?
Is my current hardware setup going to cause issues?
What do I need in order to reach my camber goals without going to the coilover route?
What should I plan for if I do bite the bullet and aim for the above goals with 17x9's?

My alignment guy knows very well how to set cars up for motor sports but I don't want to spend money getting my car on an alignment rack only to eek out a minor increase in neg camber and then be told afterwards "well you need to do this and that and bla bla bla". I want to show up prepared with necessary components.

I have a daily; my BRZ is my toy. I can go crazy with the setup but I'm not rich enough to go balls-deep into STX with parts. At least not yet...
Besides, I'm having a blast chasing down fully prepped STX cars.
Attached Images

smeowkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:31 PM   #193
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeowkey View Post
My current alignment (see attached photo) is great but my tire wear from last year has proved that I still need more camber, front and rear.

I'm very under-prepped in STX:
  • SPC rear lower controls arms
  • Raceseng CasCam front top mounts
  • OE crash bolts
  • 17x8 720Form +35
  • RT660
  • some minor brake upgrades but that's all minor/irrelevant
I have brand new Nankangs that I'm holding off until I get more camber or destroy my current 660's; I've flipped my 660's and aim to finish this season off.

I want to get more camber and naturally my mind wanders into coilovers, sway bars, wider wheels, and other suspension components but then I think... this is Ontario (Canada) where we don't really have the large smooth lots or harsh concrete pads that I often hear about in the USA. The stock suspension really is superb and with barely 60k km on my BRZ I feel hard pressed to upgrade anything.

I just want more camber!!!

What do I need to get my front camber to at least -3.5?
What do I need to get my rear camber to -2.0?
Is my current hardware setup going to cause issues?
What do I need in order to reach my camber goals without going to the coilover route?
What should I plan for if I do bite the bullet and aim for the above goals with 17x9's?

My alignment guy knows very well how to set cars up for motor sports but I don't want to spend money getting my car on an alignment rack only to eek out a minor increase in neg camber and then be told afterwards "well you need to do this and that and bla bla bla". I want to show up prepared with necessary components.

I have a daily; my BRZ is my toy. I can go crazy with the setup but I'm not rich enough to go balls-deep into STX with parts. At least not yet...
Besides, I'm having a blast chasing down fully prepped STX cars.
Camber bolts and camber plates along with a lower ride height. Not really sure if anyone makes camber plates for OE struts. Also the tire might start to hit the OE strut once you start adding camber.

Your best bet is to buy high end coilovers that ride even better than stock but are also great on track/auto x
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:23 PM   #194
strat61caster
-

@smeowkey get the 14mm spc camber bolts for the lower strut hole up front, drill out the oem upper strut holes so it’s the big hole on both sides like the koni combined with the racesengs and having the 17x8+35 should get you close to -3.5 on the front.

17x9 will limit camber due to rubbing on the front spring & perch, I think you can still get -3 or so but it’s been a long time since I messed with that. I think you switch to 17x9 when you go coilovers.

You should be able to hit -3 in the rear with just the spc lca, I’m at -2.5.

I really liked my Bilstein B16 for street + autox, they’re going back on when the car isn’t stx viable anymore. Nearly trophied at spring nats with them last year, something with <6k springs with good travel and Street damping makes a good all purpose setup. Disagree they need to be high end, $2k bilstein and kw get the job done, maybe some MCS but I think spending more then $3k is silly.
autoracer86 (06-10-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 04:28 AM   #195
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
I was going to put a price range but deleted it lol. “High end” being at least 2k and up. Probably should have worded it better
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:39 PM   #196
smeowkey

Drives: 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I really liked my Bilstein B16 for street + autox, they’re going back on when the car isn’t stx viable anymore.
The Bilstein B14's and B16's are attractive. The B14's are extremely affordable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
I was going to put a price range but deleted it lol. “High end” being at least 2k and up. Probably should have worded it better
I am not a man who likes to go cheap. I like good shit and I'm always willing to wait a bit longer to be able to buy excellent stuff.

Pricing wise this is the easy stuff for me to price out. All quotes (CAD) are from the same retailer who ships all large orders for free. Add 13% tax and away I go. Acquiring RCE Tarmac 2 or Ohlins SUS MP21 may require some red tape cutting. Thankfully I have a friend who often drives down to the states for business.

• RCE Tarmac III Clubsport $6,316.99
  • TEIN Super Racing Coilovers $5,114.70
  • Apexi N1 Evolution $3,831.97
  • Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 $3,494.99
  • KW V3 $3,489.99
  • Cusco Street Zero-A - PB $3,023.99
  • Bilstein B16 $2,625.44
  • Bilstein B14 $1,785.08
  • Ohlins SUS MP21S ~2500USD
  • RCE Tarmac 2 Clubsport ~2500USD
Those top 4 price points are not appealing plus I have seldom found any decent feedback about their performance at autocross. I also question the integrity and driver quality of reviews. I'm strongly leaning towards Bilsteins, Ohlins, Tarmac 2's or the KW V3.

I'll be doing some more chatting with fellow competitors. I find the Ontario gang are fully open to discussing their setups. My one mate has a crazy camber setup without coilovers. I don't want to copy him but I must take note.
smeowkey is offline   Reply With Quote