follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #757
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Rob, thanks for posting. I didn't realize you were reping the company, glad to have you in the community.
I read something somewhere that gave me the distinct impression that he pretty much is the company.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #758
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
My only concern would be people without the proper expertise trying to build one and causing harm to their car or worse themselves.
Yeap, judging by some proposed setups so far, pretty scary indeed. At least get someone with electrical/electronics/controls major/eng to tag along....
Old 07-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #759
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Yeap, judging by some proposed setups so far, pretty scary indeed. At least get someone with electrical/electronics/controls major/eng to tag along....
My experience is in programming, specifically as it applies here to embedded systems. I've also done quite a bit of solid modeling, fea and machine work (I went to school for mechanical engineering and worked in the field prior to switching careers). I can offer those skills, but we'd definitely need someone good with pcb design (I've only dabbled in laying out custom pcbs) and electrical engineering. Surely someone here does that sorta stuff for a living.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #760
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
As Mr. Neutron pointed out, this discussion should move to a different thread.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #761
Robftss

Drives: VW
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
Some of us have the right background to be interested in experimenting with making our own controllers. Can you tell us what motor is used on these so we can do some research?
The motor has no part # or model #, it is completely custom after many iterations.
Robftss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #762
Robftss

Quote:
Rob, thanks for posting. I didn't realize you were reping the company, glad to have you in the community.

How many deep cycles are the batteries capable?

Is the controller capable to recharging more then two batteries? (I know the alternator also needs to be able to supply the current, I'm just asking about the controller.

Any thoughts on the flow rate that could be achieved with a 36 volt system?
Thanks Calum!

The batteries are more of a 'cycle' use than deep discharge. The VW is 14 months with no degradation.

36 volts really is a different beast. Of course I've worked on higher voltage of various battery types, higher voltage units will be primarily to increase max flow not pressure.

I hope to do my Wk2 SRT8 some day

Rob
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #763
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
As Mr. Neutron pointed out, this discussion should move to a different thread.
Taking my own suggestion I've started a new thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...02#post1056302

I'll be updating it with some of the details/ideas I've had later.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #764
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robftss View Post
Thanks Calum!

The batteries are more of a 'cycle' use than deep discharge. The VW is 14 months with no degradation.
Exactly as I suspected, but it's certainly good to hear of experience. Thanks

Quote:
36 volts really is a different beast. Of course I've worked on higher voltage of various battery types,higher voltage units will be primarily to increase max flow not pressure.

I hope to do my Wk2 SRT8 some day

Rob
Why is that? Is the compressor limited in it's pressure ratio? The motor not able to output the torque at the upper rpms?

And another question, what kind of current draw are you seeing with the present configuration? I'm wondering about circuit breaker sizing.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #765
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
The motor has no part # or model #, it is completely custom after many iterations.
Bleh, I can barely imagine the amount of work to come up with a full custom motor.... Starting would be an exponential curve even if I am an EE but dealing with HV mostly.
Again, great job on pioneering the setup and working with the guys on here, I can't wait to see where you take it in the future.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s2d4 For This Useful Post:
fenton (07-10-2013), Robftss (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #766
Robftss

Quote:
Exactly as I suspected, but it's certainly good to hear of experience. Thanks

Why is that? Is the compressor limited in it's pressure ratio? The motor not able to output the torque at the upper rpms?

And another question, what kind of current draw are you seeing with the present configuration? I'm wondering about circuit breaker sizing.
Since PR is a multiplier, higher flow engines don't need higher boost, they need lbs/min. Higher voltage components are costlier.

Circuit breaker? Like for an RV? I de-rate through logic and software.

Rob
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #767
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Since PR is a multiplier, higher flow engines don't need higher boost, they need lbs/min. Higher voltage components are costlier.

Circuit breaker? Like for an RV? I de-rate through logic and software.

Rob
I think I may have miss understood then. I'm wondering if the present setup could work with 36 volts in an effort to get more up top. With the right controls I think it would be nice to be able to run a constant boost pressure so that the system could keep making a flat torque curve. But you say that running higher voltage wont work for us, so I'm wonder why. Is it because the compressor can flow more, but can't create more pressure? Or perhaps is the motor capable of higher speeds, but not more torque?

And I'm wondering about a circuit breaker for safety. Something like the ones I use for stereo installs. http://www.delcity.net/store/High-Am...akers/p_167861
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #768
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
What's the lowest throttle setting so far? I went fora drive today, and I doubt I reached 80% throttle at all.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #769
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
@Robftss I think it would be great if this system could tie into the ECU somehow and activate at a selectable RPM.

As we all know the shift light built into the car can be adjusted to activate at a range of RPM (I am not sure of the full range) but lets say from 3000-7400. I think it would be ideal if it could tie into this somehow.

With the E-charger having the ability to activate at any selectable RPM it would make it so the system was easy to essentially 'turn on and off'. It would also allow full throttle application lower than the selected rpm without the E-charger activating. It would also allow the system to activate when not at full throttle.

It would allow for a lot of adjustability.
CBR600RR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #770
Wild Weasel

Drives: 2001 Sunfire GT + 2007 Mazdaspeed3
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
What's the lowest throttle setting so far? I went fora drive today, and I doubt I reached 80% throttle at all.
Ok... this is an interesting question, because it ties into some of the things we discussed much earlier about intake restrictions and what not.

You're asking about the lowest throttle setting, so I have a few questions for you. Why are you interested in lower throttle settings? Since you doubt you even reached 80% throttle, you obviously didn't need more power. If you wanted more power, you'd have gone to 90% or all the way, right?

Now you seem to be wondering whether this might come on at lower throttle settings. What would you gain there? You obviously didn't need more power, as you had power to spare as it is.

Do you see what I'm getting at? If you're not going to full throttle, then you're not using all the power you already have. Now, if you DID want more power, then you'd be giving it more throttle, and if you got to the end of what you'd have normally had, this gives you even more.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive