follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Take it to the track

I know this sort of stuff has been discussed a lot before, but an article in R&T today brought the point fresh to my mind. I debated on where in the forums to share this, and since this seems to be where most of the bench racing takes place I figured it made sense.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-wont-go-away/

There's a portion of the Toyobaru crowd, probably a much higher number than I'd like to admit to myself, that should really heed this advice.

Take it to the track.

There are plenty of affordable ways to get your thrills in a safe, but competitive, environment. If you live somewhere that there is a large enough group of people to go out street racing, then I can promise that there's a racing organization and track of some sort not far away.

Our cars were designed to be raced by enthusiasts, and tracks of all kinds are designed to create an environment that's ideal for bringing out those performance characteristics. Whether it's an autocross, HPDE/time attack at a road course, drag strip, or a drift day event. It's also a much better way to hone your driving skills.

See you at the race track!
MisterSheep (08-04-2015), srizzors25 (07-16-2015), strat61caster (07-16-2015), stugray (07-21-2015), Turbowned (07-25-2015), Ultramaroon (07-22-2015), whataboutbob (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
jaycee842

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well I would go to Willow but I have no friends to go with. They are always street racing. They don't like cruising down canyons either. I think I need new friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaycee842 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaycee842 For This Useful Post:
86kahl (10-02-2015), Sammakko (07-22-2015), shifter907 (07-21-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
HerrFunf

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
..or empty parking lots! I just spent my lunch break burning rubber without a soul in sight. ..little autox practice, some donuts, got my heart rate up for the day. All good things for me, perhaps not so much for the polar bears though.

It's actually nice having a car that isn't crazy fast, unlike my last car, I have no urge to race anyone on the street ever.
HerrFunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee842 View Post
Well I would go to Willow but I have no friends to go with. They are always street racing. They don't like cruising down canyons either. I think I need new friends.

Definitely get new friends. Go to the track and I can guarantee you will make some new ones the first day out. Just talk to people and don't be shy!
Old 07-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I live in New Jersey, where I'm within 1 hour of 3 racetracks (Raceway Park, Wall, and NJMP) and 2 autox locations, so it's easy for someone like me to go to a racetrack. But what about people who live in areas where there is absolutely nothing? I'm not trying to condone street racing, and I personally have never done it, but I'm sure a sizable proportion of street racers would happily take it to the track if they could.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Look in the so-cal sub forum. Plenty of stuff in there.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
86kahl (10-02-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrFunf View Post
..or empty parking lots! I just spent my lunch break burning rubber without a soul in sight. ..little autox practice, some donuts, got my heart rate up for the day. All good things for me, perhaps not so much for the polar bears though.

It's actually nice having a car that isn't crazy fast, unlike my last car, I have no urge to race anyone on the street ever.
No.

I think that in an individual level, affordable sports cars are great. On a larger scale, they are a terrible idea .
Old 07-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #8
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

hahaha man...

Facebook search Socal Lateral G.

Or PM me your name. I'll invite you in.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JS + BRZ For This Useful Post:
mixxxx (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I live in New Jersey, where I'm within 1 hour of 3 racetracks (Raceway Park, Wall, and NJMP) and 2 autox locations, so it's easy for someone like me to go to a racetrack. But what about people who live in areas where there is absolutely nothing? I'm not trying to condone street racing, and I personally have never done it, but I'm sure a sizable proportion of street racers would happily take it to the track if they could.
I don't know that I agree with that. Street racing culture is it's own thing, and many of things about it are based in the more immature aspects of human nature.

The problem I see is that many of the kids who street race, however old they may be, haven't really been exposed to motorsports/track culture. There are tracks, autocrosses, and racing organizations all over the country. Like I said above, if you have enough people around to have a street racing scene there is probably an organization and track within a reasonable distance.

I believe they might leave the scene and start tracking if they are introduced to it, but they need someone to expose them to it or at least invite them to an autocross. I don't think that the majority of them will seek it out on their own.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ View Post
hahaha man...

Facebook search Socal Lateral G.

Or PM me your name. I'll invite you in.
I wanna get in on this. I'm moving back to SoCal next month and plan on going to WSIR every few months for some track time.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
86kahl (10-02-2015), JS + BRZ (07-20-2015), raven1231 (07-21-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I wanna get in on this. I'm moving back to SoCal next month and plan on going to WSIR every few months for some track time.
Awesome. PM me your Facebook name.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #12
mixxxx

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

You need new friends. Join SoCal Lateral G FB group.

There's also a couple of guys going to Willow Springs this Saturday for the twilight race
mixxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #13
hpde_addict

Drives: '18 Camaro V6 1LE
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
I don't know that I agree with that. Street racing culture is it's own thing, and many of things about it are based in the more immature aspects of human nature.

The problem I see is that many of the kids who street race, however old they may be, haven't really been exposed to motorsports/track culture. There are tracks, autocrosses, and racing organizations all over the country. Like I said above, if you have enough people around to have a street racing scene there is probably an organization and track within a reasonable distance.

I believe they might leave the scene and start tracking if they are introduced to it, but they need someone to expose them to it or at least invite them to an autocross. I don't think that the majority of them will seek it out on their own.
I don't think so. The majority of drivers that I have met at autocross and track events are level-headed and mature. It takes a lot of practice to start building speed. Level-headed and mature individuals don't put themselves and others at risk by massively exceeding the speed limit in a completely uncontrolled environment. I characterize street racers as young, stupid, immature, inexperienced, and filled with ego... the acceleration of their car is how they augment their ****. The best that can be done, is to just hope that some of them will grow out of it or they wrap themselves around a pole before they put a bystander in danger.
hpde_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpde_addict View Post
I don't think so. The majority of drivers that I have met at autocross and track events are level-headed and mature. It takes a lot of practice to start building speed. Level-headed and mature individuals don't put themselves and others at risk by massively exceeding the speed limit in a completely uncontrolled environment. I characterize street racers as young, stupid, immature, inexperienced, and filled with ego... the acceleration of their car is how they augment their ****. The best that can be done, is to just hope that some of them will grow out of it or they wrap themselves around a pole before they put a bystander in danger.
I believe we're saying the same thing here. haha
JS + BRZ (07-21-2015)