follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2015, 04:43 AM   #113
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
What does it mean to go back to stock by using zip ties? I haven't tackled this yet, but I want to make sure it's completely reversible without looking tacky.
you compress the spring, maybe in a vice, and use zip ties to hold it compressed, then you can easily swap it back behind the pedal and snip the zip ties once everything is back in place.
hmong337 (08-19-2015), tracerit (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #114
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slysdexia View Post
Don't worry about it.

Clutches have been relying on the master cylinder to hold them up for the better part of a century at this point with no discernible ill effects.
almost 100 years of experience can't be wrong! I feel better about this now. Its alot of fun driving the car with this done
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #115
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
almost 100 years of experience can't be wrong! I feel better about this now. Its alot of fun driving the car with this done
I promised myself I wouldn't preach about it again but friends don't let friends drive using the wrong master cylinder. Do my swap. Trust me. You'll realize the spring thing is a distant second. Waaaay distant...
Old 08-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #116
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I promised myself I wouldn't preach about it again but friends don't let friends drive using the wrong master cylinder. Do my swap. Trust me. You'll realize the spring thing is a distant second. Waaaay distant...
I believe you--but I don't really have the time to do this, plus I really don't have the desire to learn how to bleed a hydraulic system when I have never actually done it before. Terrible visions of careening into a brick wall...terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
lextrueno (08-19-2015), sato (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #117
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
I believe you--but I don't really have the time to do this, plus I really don't have the desire to learn how to bleed a hydraulic system when I have never actually done it before. Terrible visions of careening into a brick wall...terrible.
I respect that. Maybe I'm interpreting the silence as dismissal when in fact, it's caution or apprehension.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #118
BRZHarley

Drives: 69 Firebird, 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Morn'n everyone !

I just did this mod on my new 2015 and my left foot couldn't be happier! The pedal feels more progressive and linear without the "stacking" feel of the helper spring..... Between this mod and adjusting the engagement height of pedal makes it feels like different car! ��

Ed
BRZHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #119
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Just did this mod as well. It wasn't exactly a 15 minute mod but was well worth it in the end. I feel like instead of having a "gray" clutch, it is now "black and white". Shifts are much smoother and there's no guessing where the engagement is at anymore. I can finally not feel self conscious about sloppy shifts when driving other people.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
Slysdexia (08-23-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #120
vinceqt

Drives: FR-S Monogram Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I can't get the damn spring assembly out , only pin and the e thingy, helppppp
vinceqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #121
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceqt View Post
I can't get the damn spring assembly out , only pin and the e thingy, helppppp
The pin was the hardest part for me so you're almost there. I had to use a pair of pliers and compress the spring then used a hammer to bash it forwards to loosen it from the other piece hanging down. Those parts lol pretty tough, so I wasn't afraid of breaking anything.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #122
vinceqt

Drives: FR-S Monogram Whiteout 6MT
Garage
Nvm with a lot of anger I got it out

Last edited by vinceqt; 09-01-2015 at 08:24 PM.
vinceqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #123
rip curl

Drives: 13 BRZ
My god I didn't even know this mod existed until yesterday. I've owned the car for almost 2 years! I ran out and removed the spring and it feels so much better then stock!!! I've been missing out on proper clutch feel for too long!!!!!!!!!!!!
rip curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #124
Jake_86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Did this and tbh it was a bitch. I'm 6'4 so getting up in that area to work on it was painful haha. But you just gotta use some force to get it all out. Push hard to pop clip. Push hard on pin to move out(I used flat head to pry out other side) then pushed up on silver metal area where pin came out until It popped off. Much better feeling now.

Live Fast, Die Young.
Jake_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #125
Captain Curt

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Base MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just did this mod myself and I have to say, NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. As others have stated, once it is removed there will be a bit of play/slack on the clutch pedal as it won't be lifted from the floor by the spring any more. I got used to it within about 2-3 miles and it felt like my old Ranger I used to own many moons ago.

As for difficulty, I would put this in the 8 out of 10 range, but only due to me being a chunky monkey and not being able to fit under the pedal box. I HIGHLY recommend removing the seat. Take the 5-10 minutes and remove it to save you the 20-30 minutes of frustration.

Also, here's what worked for me:

To remove the E-clip I used a pair of needle nose pliers. Plan on replacing this as it jumps around more than a toddler once it's removed. To remove the pin, push the pedal in to the floor, and leverage whatever tool you use (I used the same pliers) against the nearest piece of metal you can and push the pin in on the right side. After that, the hard part started. I tried and I tried pushing the spring assembly forward, back, up, down, left, right, a, b, select, start, and I couldn't for the life of me get it out. Then someone mentioned putting something behind the spring assembly and pushing in the clutch. Came out easy peasy once I tried that method. Having now done this, using the above method I could do it in 10 minutes or so. If anyone else attempts this, BE SURE TO PUT SOMETHING BEHIND THE SPRING ASSEMBLY AND PUSH IN THE CLUTCH TO REMOVE IT. It will save you the headache the rest of us have endured.

To the OP: Thanks for the guide!
Captain Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Curt For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #126
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I did this yesterday, finally, after months of putting it off, and I WISH I HAD DONE IT SOONER!!! Had the car for a year and a half now, and this is the best mod I've done in terms of how much it affects the driveability and enjoyment of the vehicle.

Driving this car is a joy now. No more jerky shifts, making me look (and feel) like an amateur. LOVE IT!

Being 6'6 with big hands and long arms made it very difficult to work in such a confined space, BUT I am happy to report to all of my taller brethren that I completed the mod in less than 20 minutes without having to do any fancy jimmy-rigging. It got very uncomfortable at times, but just take a few stretch breaks in between, and get yourself something soft to sit on. I sat outside of the car on the ground with my arms slung over the door-sill.

The E-clip is easy. The pin, a little more difficult but not as hard as I thought it would be after reading this thread.

Getting the damn clevis off the pedal to remove the spring was the hardest part. I didn't end up having to use any of the tricks noted in this thread. Just kept pushing and pushing and pushing with my needle-nose pliers until the damn thing FLEW off. And I mean flew; not only did I lose a sizeable chunk of skin from my thumb knuckle when it popped off, but the spring went flying out almost into my face, and the clevis itself completely disappeared. Couldn't find it anywhere.

Driving around about an hour later, I heard a clunk on my floor-mat, reached down...and found the clevis. It must have flown up on top of one of the pedals or something and jostled itself loose while driving.

Even with the frustrations, and the literal blood, sweat, and tears put into this, it is WORTH EVERY MINUTE!! The car now drives like it was always supposed to.

PS I elected to leave the parts off the car and not re-install without the spring. I put everything in a zip-lock bag and put it under the floor in the trunk with my spare so I don't lose anything in case I ever decide to reverse, although that's highly unlikely!

Yes I have the "soft spot" at the top of the pedal now, but it's a small price to pay for actually being able to ENJOY shifting again!!

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 10-28-2015 at 03:37 PM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SLVRSRFR For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (10-28-2015), VerusEric (10-28-2015)