follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
bevestrown

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Highway Speed Drone - it's not tire noise

I've had this issue for 6 months, and even tho I am driving less I can tell that it is getting worse. I found this thread that describes it perfectly, but I've been unable to revive it:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134887

TL;DR of the thread is that him and I are getting a consistent drone that sounds like its coming from the center of the car from about 50mph and above.

Any ideas? Troubleshooting steps?
bevestrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Maybe tell us more about modifications to your car?

What makes you so sure it's not the tires?
Have you had your wheel bearings checked?
Do you have an exhaust leak that's progressively getting worse?
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #3
bevestrown

Car is stock except for 18" wheels that are about a year old. The noise is the same regardless of pavement type which makes me think its not the tire noise. Also, I don't hear it reverberating off of jersey barriers or cars in traffic. Would wheel bearings would be audible that way as well?

Good thought on the exhaust leak, as this is somewhat recent from the install of a new clutch by a local tuner shop. I will say it is directly tied to the speed and not the RPMs
The Following User Says Thank You to bevestrown For This Useful Post:
why? (08-01-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
JohnH
Professional wrench

Drives: 2020 BRZ ST RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
30ish offset wheels? and 18x8? 8.5"? 9"?
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:53 AM   #5
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you replaced one wheel bearing already you might consider doing the other side. Have you tried the "wheel bearing test" side-to-side movement aka putting load on one side of the car and switching to the other to see if it gets better or worse?
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
If you replaced one wheel bearing already you might consider doing the other side. Have you tried the "wheel bearing test" side-to-side movement aka putting load on one side of the car and switching to the other to see if it gets better or worse?
I have replaced enough hubs on my car to say that check doesn't work unless it is coming apart. I had one to the point it was squealing while driving and it had virtually no play. All the wheel bearings I have had fail on my car only made noise while cornering except for the one that started squealing.

OP, check your drive shaft. Could be the carrier bearing at the center.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
bevestrown

Thanks for the suggestions all! Heard back in PM from the original poster - he said it just ended up going away on it's own...now I remember why I switched from VW to Subaru+Toyota haha

Wheels are 18x8 45 offset on 225/40 Potenza AS

Haven't noticed the noise change during load shifts, and also haven't had to replace any wheel bearings.

From my perspective (and passengers') it does sound like its coming from the center of the car. Going to find time to get get it lifted in my friends garage so we can inspect the driveshaft. Will let y'all know - thanks again!
Old 08-09-2020, 11:10 PM   #8
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
In descending order of probability

wheel bearing

driveshaft support bearing
Old 09-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #9
bevestrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
In descending order of probability

wheel bearing

driveshaft support bearing
While not 100% sure, it is very likely both the wheel bearings at the same time (maybe all 4) which has led to a bit of bad news...

Took the front wheels/rotors off and those suckers are RUSTED in there. Haven't tried the backs (didn't have the axle nut or new hubs) but we spent a good 8 hours trying everything; pry bars, mini sledge, +torch, slide hammer and a whole can of PB Blaster. Don't have access to any air tools, so looks like this is going to have to go to a shop to get figured out
Old 09-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevestrown View Post
While not 100% sure, it is very likely both the wheel bearings at the same time (maybe all 4) which has led to a bit of bad news...

Took the front wheels/rotors off and those suckers are RUSTED in there. Haven't tried the backs (didn't have the axle nut or new hubs) but we spent a good 8 hours trying everything; pry bars, mini sledge, +torch, slide hammer and a whole can of PB Blaster. Don't have access to any air tools, so looks like this is going to have to go to a shop to get figured out
I did the rear hub bearings on my car last year and the drivers side was so happy with where it lived it took about 6 hours of pounding with progressively larger hammers to finally get it out. When it finally came out there were two of us beating on it at the same time with 5 pound sledges after we dismantled the e-brake assembly. We got a good rhythm going and it started to creep out very slowly. I got bolts to put in from the back side to try and pound it out that way. If I had a lift I would have used an air hammer from the back side and it would have popped out much more easily, as it was I tried to use one but laying on the ground I couldn't get enough leverage to make it work.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #11
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
What kind of exhaust are you running
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevestrown View Post

Yikes. good luck