follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
BaeK

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Clicking noise from clutch when depressed/released?

Hi folks,

Any of you guys experiencing an audible click sound when you depress and release the clutch? I'm not talking about the clunk sound when you go into first gear at rest; this is more of a clicking sound AND feel on the clutch pedal.

This happens to me 50% of the time when I use the clutch. A click sound (pretty loud, IMO) goes off when I depress the clutch (about half way) then I would hear another click when the clutch comes back up (again, about half way).

At first, I thought it was the clutch sensor/switch that made the noise, so I went under the dash and played around with the clutch to see if the switch made any noise. The switch definitely makes a noise, but it's very faint; you definitely won't be able to hear that when you are on the road.

I am able to hear this noise and FEEL the clicks on the clutch pedal. It really doesn't affect the clutch performance; I don't have any grinds or any issues with the clutch, but the sound and feel can definitely get annoying sometimes. Again, this click comes and goes when driving - about 50% of clutch usage.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this noise before I head off to the dealership.

Cheers.
BaeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
dehydratedH2O

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Take it to the dealer. Sounds like one of the springs or the clutch master cylinder.
dehydratedH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sounds to me like you're hearing the mechanism move down around the transmission, it's pretty obvious with the windows down sometimes.

I would describe mine in a similar fashion, I'm not worried.

Edit: wait you said on the road, I assume while driving at speed, that's definitely too loud to be normal, go to the dealer.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
BaeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehydratedH2O View Post
Take it to the dealer. Sounds like one of the springs or the clutch master cylinder.
Might be one of the springs, but it's definitely not the spring that's attached to the clutch pedal (the big spring). I've checked it and it was well lubricated. (or at least from what I observed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Sounds to me like you're hearing the mechanism move down around the transmission, it's pretty obvious with the windows down sometimes.

I would describe mine in a similar fashion, I'm not worried.

Edit: wait you said on the road, I assume while driving at speed, that's definitely too loud to be normal, go to the dealer.
Yeah, it's audible while the car's on the road. It's a lot more louder IN the car than someone hearing it from the outside. The noise sounds like a popping knuckle, but much louder.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Krispeee

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
i hear it when i back up my car into my parking spot in the garage (with my windows open). I park next to a huge wall, so the sound is pretty audible as it's bouncing back against the wall.

it's a popping noise when i engage and disengage the clutch in reverse. it's pretty normal as my other cars have done so in the past with no problems.

if it's audible in the car while you're on the road, i'd take it in for an inspection to your drivetrain.
Krispeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
my car makes this sound while driving and shifting, its been to the dealer they cant figure it out. It happens when i shift under a heavy load and its loud enough to hear with the radio playing.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have this noise as well, clutch pedal pressed halfway, noticeable when at low speeds. I was under the impression these were just normal sounds of this tranny..
Old 11-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
BaeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
my car makes this sound while driving and shifting, its been to the dealer they cant figure it out. It happens when i shift under a heavy load and its loud enough to hear with the radio playing.
Is yours only while driving? I could usually hear mine whether the car is moving or not. As described in the original post, it sounds like a knuckle popping. (Once depressed half way, and once on the way back up - half way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB86'd View Post
I have this noise as well, clutch pedal pressed halfway, noticeable when at low speeds. I was under the impression these were just normal sounds of this tranny..
Mine definitely can't be normal (or at least I hope not); the sound is there 50% of the time. I can actually feel the click on my clutch pedal leg as well.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
evomike

mine clicks while parked and while driving, it doesnt do it all the time but it does it enough to think something is wrong.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
BaeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
mine clicks while parked and while driving, it doesnt do it all the time but it does it enough to think something is wrong.
Sounds like what I've been experiencing. My car is currently at the dealership; they called Toyota corporate and they're stripping the transmission to see what the issue might be. The master tech was able to replicate the clicking sound, but the source is still unknown.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
evomike

Yea they couldn't replicate mine and i have had zero time to take it back, im interested to see what they find.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i notice mine mostly when parked in neutral, and i quickly push the clutch in or let out. I noticed if I do it slower it's not as loud. I don't actually feel the click with my leg though..only audible. This transmission makes all kind of noises, I only have 1300 miles on my car though so maybe it's still breaking in. Who knows.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
BaeK

Yeah hah. I'll update as things move along. My service advisor is pretty awesome.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
BaeK

update for those who are interested...

my clutch still clicks even after they replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and the flywheel.

I went under the dash to further observe where the sound came from and concluded the following: the click comes from the welded joint where the clutch pedal shaft meets the triangular metal piece. (for those who did the clutch adjustment, the triangular metal piece is connected to the U-shaped bracket right above the accelerator pedal)

I guess I have to live with the clicking noise. :S
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BaeK For This Useful Post:
gonzo (05-29-2014), Lakitu (06-27-2018)

Tags
clutch click, clutch clicking, take it to the dealer, use your warranty