follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
Kicker18

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tinny noise during normal driving.

I recently changed the clutch due to the release bearing disintegrating inside my trans. Every time I drive my car and I am in a gear the vehicle makes a high pitched tin rattle noise. The noise does not sound like it's originating from the clutch, more like the transmission or something under the hood. Initially I thought it was a pulley, but the noise goes away when I am out of gear. I'll try to get a better description and maybe a video tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced a strange noise while the engine is under load/in gear? Its very faint, but still noticeable.
Kicker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicker18 View Post
I recently changed the clutch due to the release bearing disintegrating inside my trans. Every time I drive my car and I am in a gear the vehicle makes a high pitched tin rattle noise. The noise does not sound like it's originating from the clutch, more like the transmission or something under the hood. Initially I thought it was a pulley, but the noise goes away when I am out of gear. I'll try to get a better description and maybe a video tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced a strange noise while the engine is under load/in gear? Its very faint, but still noticeable.
I've experienced this since the day I drove my 2016 off the lot. I'm at 5,600 miles. Recently, my release bearing has been making itself more known. I'm dropping my BRZ off at the dealer tomorrow to have the fork, clutch assembly, and TOB inspected for premature wear and to see if there's play between components. I've been told it's normal, but I want a deeper diagnosis on the matter.
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #3
Kicker18

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoBo21 View Post
I've experienced this since the day I drove my 2016 off the lot. I'm at 5,600 miles. Recently, my release bearing has been making itself more known. I'm dropping my BRZ off at the dealer tomorrow to have the fork, clutch assembly, and TOB inspected for premature wear and to see if there's play between components. I've been told it's normal, but I want a deeper diagnosis on the matter.
Sounds like you have a good plan in place! I'm honestly a little embarrassed I can't find the origin of this noise, but it is driving me crazy. I tried taking a video today, but it isn't noticeable on video. Hopefully I can figure this out before too long. If I find anything, I will update as soon as possible.
Kicker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicker18 View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan in place! I'm honestly a little embarrassed I can't find the origin of this noise, but it is driving me crazy. I tried taking a video today, but it isn't noticeable on video. Hopefully I can figure this out before too long. If I find anything, I will update as soon as possible.
Roger that. As soon as I hear anything back from the dealership I will update as well.
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
SCQTT
ZWEI KOLBEN

Drives: 2017 86 Halo 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like some sort of heat shield to me. H4s have perfect primary balance, but there is some secondary shake. I think if you pay attention it is happening at certain RPM ranges, (which cause a more "buzzy" frequency) rather than it being clutch related I think it is just this. IMHO.

Mine has done the same since day .
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCQTT For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (03-17-2017), Kicker18 (03-17-2017)