follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
Edbrez

Drives: Toyota 86 JDM model
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HKS Flash Editor Error query

Hi All,

Newbie here. I've bought and imported a JDM 86 in Ireland during Covid-19 (against my better judgement) and i'm deep down the rabbit hole in modifying her since. I've recently bought the HKS Flash editor to reflash the ECU with phase 2 NA data. An error keeps coming up "Initialization error" when attempting to write the Phase 2 data. I'm hoping someone here might be able to guide me towards a solution. I've emailed the reseller, and HKS Europe, and I'm waiting on any useful advice they might have. While I wait for a response I'm hopeful someone here might have a solution for this error. It would be great to get the most out of the mods and sort out the torque dip as well if someone has experience of this HKS Flash Editor issue?

HKS FLASH EDITOR STATUS:
EDITOR STATUS[Editor model]Type ZN6/ZC6 NA Ver: TOSB01. 301
[INITIALIZE TOOL] VER:02. 29
[ECU STATE]MODE: NORMAL
ECU ID: ZA1JA01A.
[THIS ECU DATA]
ECU ID: ZA1JA01A
SERIAL: 56FE858D7A

The Flash editor displays engine info etc when I check "car status", so I'm assuming the unit works properly. The issue is that when I go to reflash the ECU with either phase 1 or 2 NA data it begins the process and then after a short while displays "Initialization error - Please retry after I/G off". After multiple attempts at resolving this I am now desperately looking for a solution.

The 86 has a HKS racing suction air intake and a full HKS exhaust system including the metal cat so it should be fine to be remapped for the phase 2 data. Its frustrating spending money on this device for it to not work! I'd appreciate if anyone has experienced this issue and has a solution?

Maybe someone from HKS USA might know something about this error? I bought it off Nengun in Japan, so I'm not sure if HKS USA could or would want to help here?

Build so far:
Currently, The 86 comes specced with a lot of Cusco bracing underneath, front and back, and a strut bar in the front, and also a Cusco oil cooler sandwich plate. I'll likely to eventually invest in the Cusco rear arms for adjustability but that will come with seat time, a more educated butt, and testing the limits as I get used to her.

The coilovers are a JDM brand I've never heard of before, https://www.kts-web.com/overseas/pro...n/sc_beta.html. They work fine and are set up perfectly for road use and clearing speed bumps but may need changing in the future. I'm only getting into track driving now so I really haven't much knowledge for suspension tuning so this will be a steep learning curve over the next couple of years. I do plan on keeping this car as a track toy for the foreseeable future, so I'm looking forward to the journey.

The brakes are TRD competition pads all round and grooves rotors in the front. These may be replaced with an upgrade in the future but not really necessary at current power levels.

The car came with a snug Bride driver's seat. I'm on a diet to fit into it comfortably . At the moment it is debatable whether I need a seat belt at all being wedged in it. Fun times!

The car was originally sold as a G spec 86 for the Japanese domestic market. The interior is analog looking and sparse, the way I like it. Its like a retro 90's car brought forward into the 21st century. Nothing ages cars more than technology so I guess I bought a timeless classic with modern reliability . The body kit is an original TRD kit for the early 2012 - 2016 model. I like the look of the kit and the colour is perfect in my eyes. Everyone has their own preference but I think it looks just right on this car.

As mentioned above, I have a full HKS Spec L exhaust system and HKS Racing Suction air intake installed. I've noticed there is a lot of space in the front engine compartment where either a turbo or supercharger would fit perfectly. I feel in time once I've got used to the platform and built up my own driving skills in harmony the 86 I may wish to increase the power output to find new possibilities for the chassis to contend with. The supercharger option appeals most to me but that could all change as time passes by.

It would be great to hear other folks opinions on forced induction and reliably increasing the power output of the FA20.

So that is a bit about the 86 so far and plans for the future. I'll deep dive into this forum now and see what else I might learn along the way. I appreciate this source of valuable information and wish you all safe and fun journeys.

If anyone can help me with this issue I'd be forever grateful.
Attached Images

Edbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
Gamace

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbrez View Post
Hi All,

Newbie here. I've bought and imported a JDM 86 in Ireland during Covid-19 (against my better judgement) and i'm deep down the rabbit hole in modifying her since. I've recently bought the HKS Flash editor to reflash the ECU with phase 2 NA data. An error keeps coming up "Initialization error" when attempting to write the Phase 2 data. I'm hoping someone here might be able to guide me towards a solution. I've emailed the reseller, and HKS Europe, and I'm waiting on any useful advice they might have. While I wait for a response I'm hopeful someone here might have a solution for this error. It would be great to get the most out of the mods and sort out the torque dip as well if someone has experience of this HKS Flash Editor issue?

HKS FLASH EDITOR STATUS:

EDITOR STATUS[Editor model]Type ZN6/ZC6 NA Ver: TOSB01. 301

[INITIALIZE TOOL] VER:02. 29

[ECU STATE]MODE: NORMAL

ECU ID: ZA1JA01A.

[THIS ECU DATA]

ECU ID: ZA1JA01A

SERIAL: 56FE858D7A

The Flash editor displays engine info etc when I check "car status", so I'm assuming the unit works properly. The issue is that when I go to reflash the ECU with either phase 1 or 2 NA data it begins the process and then after a short while displays "Initialization error - Please retry after I/G off". After multiple attempts at resolving this I am now desperately looking for a solution.

The 86 has a HKS racing suction air intake and a full HKS exhaust system including the metal cat so it should be fine to be remapped for the phase 2 data. Its frustrating spending money on this device for it to not work! I'd appreciate if anyone has experienced this issue and has a solution?

Maybe someone from HKS USA might know something about this error? I bought it off Nengun in Japan, so I'm not sure if HKS USA could or would want to help here?

Build so far:

Currently, The 86 comes specced with a lot of Cusco bracing underneath, front and back, and a strut bar in the front, and also a Cusco oil cooler sandwich plate. I'll likely to eventually invest in the Cusco rear arms for adjustability but that will come with seat time, a more educated butt, and testing the limits as I get used to her.

The coilovers are a JDM brand I've never heard of before, https://www.kts-web.com/overseas/pro...n/sc_beta.html. They work fine and are set up perfectly for road use and clearing speed bumps but may need changing in the future. I'm only getting into track driving now so I really haven't much knowledge for suspension tuning so this will be a steep learning curve over the next couple of years. I do plan on keeping this car as a track toy for the foreseeable future, so I'm looking forward to the journey.

The brakes are TRD competition pads all round and grooves rotors in the front. These may be replaced with an upgrade in the future but not really necessary at current power levels.

The car came with a snug Bride driver's seat. I'm on a diet to fit into it comfortably . At the moment it is debatable whether I need a seat belt at all being wedged in it. Fun times!

The car was originally sold as a G spec 86 for the Japanese domestic market. The interior is analog looking and sparse, the way I like it. Its like a retro 90's car brought forward into the 21st century. Nothing ages cars more than technology so I guess I bought a timeless classic with modern reliability . The body kit is an original TRD kit for the early 2012 - 2016 model. I like the look of the kit and the colour is perfect in my eyes. Everyone has their own preference but I think it looks just right on this car.

As mentioned above, I have a full HKS Spec L exhaust system and HKS Racing Suction air intake installed. I've noticed there is a lot of space in the front engine compartment where either a turbo or supercharger would fit perfectly. I feel in time once I've got used to the platform and built up my own driving skills in harmony the 86 I may wish to increase the power output to find new possibilities for the chassis to contend with. The supercharger option appeals most to me but that could all change as time passes by.

It would be great to hear other folks opinions on forced induction and reliably increasing the power output of the FA20.

So that is a bit about the 86 so far and plans for the future. I'll deep dive into this forum now and see what else I might learn along the way. I appreciate this source of valuable information and wish you all safe and fun journeys.

If anyone can help me with this issue I'd be forever grateful.
Alright lemme chime in here with my experience. I live in Jamaica with a 2012 JDM Toyota 86. Since this year, I have upgraded my exhaust to the same HKS Spec L Catback Exhaust but with the HKS Super Manifold with Catalyzer Boxer Spec for the subie rumble. I also purchased the Flash Editor and flashed my ECU to Phase 2. I have had no problems since.

However, from memory. I believe the manual for the Flash Editor specifically stated that the HKS Racing Suction Intake was not compatible with the Phase 1 or 2 Flash. When I reach home I'll take a picture to confirm but that's what I'm remebering. I was looking to get the Racing Suction but because of those instructions in the manual, I am looking into the HKS Dry Carbon Suction Intake Kit instead.

If the Flash Editor has read your ECU with no problems then I can't see why it can't refresh it without error. I'm not sure what could have caused that. Hmmmm.

Toyota 86 in the building!
Gamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
Gamace

Remember to read your ECU first then go to your computer to initialize the Flash Editor then to go back to your car for reflashing it. I assume you did all those steps cofrect?

Old 09-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
Edbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamace View Post
Alright lemme chime in here with my experience. I live in Jamaica with a 2012 JDM Toyota 86. Since this year, I have upgraded my exhaust to the same HKS Spec L Catback Exhaust but with the HKS Super Manifold with Catalyzer Boxer Spec for the subie rumble. I also purchased the Flash Editor and flashed my ECU to Phase 2. I have had no problems since.

However, from memory. I believe the manual for the Flash Editor specifically stated that the HKS Racing Suction Intake was not compatible with the Phase 1 or 2 Flash. When I reach home I'll take a picture to confirm but that's what I'm remebering. I was looking to get the Racing Suction but because of those instructions in the manual, I am looking into the HKS Dry Carbon Suction Intake Kit instead.

If the Flash Editor has read your ECU with no problems then I can't see why it can't refresh it without error. I'm not sure what could have caused that. Hmmmm.

Thanks for the quick reply. I know the documentation states the Racing suction is an issue but I'd imagine the difference between the options and results are negligible. It certainly shouldn't affect the ecu reflash. Open to opinion here...

So based on what you've said I guess it sounds like my HKS Flash Editor is faulty? Yours was plug and play?
Old 09-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
Edbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamace View Post
Remember to read your ECU first then go to your computer to initialize the Flash Editor then to go back to your car for reflashing it. I assume you did all those steps cofrect?

Yes I followed all the steps as per the instructions. I first initialized the ECU by reading it and then plugging it into my laptop to select the NA option and programming the Flash editor accordingly.

Plugged in the HKS Flash Editor shows the ECU ID and will display all the metrics when I select "Car Status". Just the reflash option presents the "initialization error" when selecting the reflash option.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
Gamace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbrez View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I know the documentation states the Racing suction is an issue but I'd imagine the difference between the options and results are negligible. It certainly shouldn't affect the ecu reflash. Open to opinion here...

So based on what you've said I guess it sounds like my HKS Flash Editor is faulty? Yours was plug and play?
Yea mine was straight plug and play, zero issues. The only thing that comes to mind if your flash editor is brand new and it gives an error is maybe the ECU was changed already. But then again, the Flash Editor was able to read it implying that its a genuine JDM ECU.

Hmmmm not sure what could be the reason for this happening then.