follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #1009
cycleboy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Location: 805
Posts: 501
Thanks: 8
Thanked 208 Times in 138 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
I was reading a review of the 3M weatherstrip adhesive and few people said it dries out, does not retain a strong bond over time affecting its water resistance. One person said he used silicon adhesive (the kind you buy at Home Depot to attach a sink to a pedestal and the pedestal to a tiled floor). He said it's strong and completely waterproof. Have you heard of this? I purchased the gaskets last night and would be willing to test it (provided I get a free replacement in case the experiment failed ).
Not sure you need to worry about the 3M stuff. I got mine awhile back whenever I redid my left side light and gaskets and it is still fine. I'll take a close look tomorrow and post a pic.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 AM   #1010
dnieves
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Location: NY
Posts: 1,062
Thanks: 615
Thanked 347 Times in 251 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleboy View Post
Not sure you need to worry about the 3M stuff. I got mine awhile back whenever I redid my left side light and gaskets and it is still fine. I'll take a close look tomorrow and post a pic.

Did you also do the tape to cover the gap between the light and the sheet metal as mentioned earlier?
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #1011
OUGrad05
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i M Sport, 2004 Z06
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 56
Thanks: 4
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does anyone know if there's a TSB that covers this issue? I'm looking at an FRS that is used and outside of the 3yr/36k warranty. The pics show no condensate in the tail light but definitely wet around the edges of the light, at least that's what it appears to be.

If it's out of warranty and I have to buy new lights that can't be cheap. If Toyota will still fix it I won't sweat it.
OUGrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #1012
Rican_D
Senior Member
 
Rican_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Location: Orlando
Posts: 629
Thanks: 151
Thanked 185 Times in 126 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Does anyone know if there's a TSB that covers this issue? I'm looking at an FRS that is used and outside of the 3yr/36k warranty. The pics show no condensate in the tail light but definitely wet around the edges of the light, at least that's what it appears to be.

If it's out of warranty and I have to buy new lights that can't be cheap. If Toyota will still fix it I won't sweat it.
It's a known defect. It should still be covered.
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #1013
wdninja
Senior Member
 
wdninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: 2023 Toyota GR86 Premium
Location: Richmond, VA, USA
Posts: 291
Thanks: 60
Thanked 143 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I personally tested a variety of silicones and adhesives before going with the 3M Superstrength Weatherstrip Adhesive. It was the best combination of ease of application, seal, longevity, flexibility, and price. I personally haven't seen or heard of anyone with any issues with it drying out, some of which are going on 3+ years of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
I was reading a review of the 3M weatherstrip adhesive and few people said it dries out, does not retain a strong bond over time affecting its water resistance. One person said he used silicon adhesive (the kind you buy at Home Depot to attach a sink to a pedestal and the pedestal to a tiled floor). He said it's strong and completely waterproof. Have you heard of this? I purchased the gaskets last night and would be willing to test it (provided I get a free replacement in case the experiment failed ).
__________________
2023 Toyota GR86 Premium, Neptune Blue Gasket Ninja.
wdninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #1014
RFB
Senior Member
 
RFB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: FRS
Location: Canada
Posts: 936
Thanks: 145
Thanked 422 Times in 289 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
It's a known defect. It should still be covered.

Last I heard, the known defect (TSB) acknowledges only over tightening of the bolts through the gasket, warping the mounting surface allowing water entry.

Corporate has not admitted the design mistake allowing the assaultive eroding water flow.

I haven't seen anything addressing the engineering flaw with the new twins.

Anyone opened the trunk on a new twin to see the design flaw fixed ?
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #1015
FX86
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Location: rear floor mats
Posts: 2,240
Thanks: 1,084
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
that's just the blinker fluid
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #1016
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 19,854
Thanks: 38,947
Thanked 25,022 Times in 11,412 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
If it's out of warranty and I have to buy new lights that can't be cheap. If Toyota will still fix it I won't sweat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
It's a known defect. It should still be covered.
It is not covered if it is outside the 36M/36000M warranty. I know from experience, mine did it 59,000 miles and I tried to get it covered with this result.

Bottom line, a TSB is not the same as a recall which is covered regardless of mileage.

Interestingly enough, mine dried out over the winter and has not repeated since then. I purchased new/better gaskets but have not installed them. Probably should get around to doing that.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:03 AM   #1017
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Location: United States
Posts: 832
Thanks: 892
Thanked 532 Times in 343 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just bought my car nearly a month ago, and noticed the right rear light has condensation on the top portion where the plastic flattens out horizontally. I'm going to contact the dealer to get this replaced under warranty. You'd think the last year of the car before the facelift/rebadge/tweaks would have worked this issue out by now.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:14 AM   #1018
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,845
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Just bought my car nearly a month ago, and noticed the right rear light has condensation on the top portion where the plastic flattens out horizontally. I'm going to contact the dealer to get this replaced under warranty. You'd think the last year of the car before the facelift/rebadge/tweaks would have worked this issue out by now.
They will just replace it with the same thing so once they swap it you may want to do the goop dam thing. They changed the gaskets way back in 14 and there are not a whole lot of later ones that have it from what I have read.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #1019
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Location: United States
Posts: 832
Thanks: 892
Thanked 532 Times in 343 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They will just replace it with the same thing so once they swap it you may want to do the goop dam thing. They changed the gaskets way back in 14 and there are not a whole lot of later ones that have it from what I have read.
So it is a possibility that it'll happen again on a replacement piece? Does it just require a DIY resealing that'll outlive the car? Lol
__________________
-O/D
2016 FR-S, Hot Lava
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #1020
Kimsey47
Senior Member
 
Kimsey47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,875
Thanks: 1,189
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Figured I'd post my experience... I got my car in 2012 and had condensation in both lights. Dealer replaced the passenger side under warranty; however, the drivers side of course didn't decide to have any the day I got the work done. The one replaced has remained ok; however, my drivers side is getting worst. Looks like I'll be going to Tom's for replacements like others have done.
__________________
Subaru STI :
Kimsey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:51 AM   #1021
reeves
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: BRZ
Location: ATL, GA
Posts: 1,021
Thanks: 289
Thanked 397 Times in 265 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
March and April has been rainy enough to finally confirm: after driving through several hours of light to heavy downpour the past 2 months (including an hour of rain driving home tonight), I NO LONGER HAVE CONDENSATION in my original OEM tail lights!!!

After 4 and half years, I can finally enjoy sliding my car around in the rain without getting condensation in my tail lights!

Whoohoo!

It just goes to prove.. sometimes if you ignore a "trivial" problem, it actually does go away!

Seriously though, I have no idea why this is the case. I'm guessing there's probably so much gunk built up around the gasket area, no more water can get in lol
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #1022
Cope
Driver
 
Cope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: Black 2013 BRZ
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 51
Thanks: 17
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdninja View Post
I personally tested a variety of silicones and adhesives before going with the 3M Superstrength Weatherstrip Adhesive. It was the best combination of ease of application, seal, longevity, flexibility, and price. I personally haven't seen or heard of anyone with any issues with it drying out, some of which are going on 3+ years of use.
Just ordered my replacement seals from Gasket Ninja. The seals on my Buddy Club tails finally gave it up after the fourth (!!!) time going to the paint oven at the body shop. Wasn't thrilled to find half a gallon of water in the trunk after a storm, so I'm psyched to get these done!

Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red tail light photoshops OwenK FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 68 02-06-2013 03:48 PM
HKS head and tail lamps DIG1992 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 5 05-19-2012 01:04 PM
Tail of the Dragon Tomcat9700 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 32 02-10-2012 02:30 PM
headlight condensation MRZ415 Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 1 01-23-2012 02:24 AM
Optional coloured tail lights? m_life Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 9 11-30-2011 06:20 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.