follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
FamousMuffin

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HELP!! P0020 CEL on Scion FR-S

Sooooo basically how this code came about, as I was driving to work in the early am, I wasn’t driving crazy or anything just cruising, and all of a sudden I get a cel. I have an OFT and I attempted to erase it via the OFT but as soon as the cel is erased it immediately comes back so I’m assuming it’s something serious I’m not sure. The car has been on a stage 2+ (85) tune for the past year, the car till this very moment runs normal, obviously the car isn’t performing like it’s supposed to with this cel on. Went to the dealer yesterday told me they couldn’t figure out any way of fixing the problem which kind of surprised me. My next step is to go to a legit tuner and see what he can do maybe, hopefully he can remove the cel? or is there something else I can do to fix this code P0020. The car has aftermarket headers, aftermarket exhaust system, and car has around 87k miles. I really don’t know what it could be, maybe bad ECM even?? I honestly have no clue what to do and I’m stuck with an even slower FR-S

Thanks again for responses/help
FamousMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
9x out of 10 it is just the sensor. There are 4. I would move it to another spot and see if the bank changes. If it does replace that sensor with a new one and you are good to go. (Sometimes moving it will get worse / not even start but that's fine you can just move it back. Just make sure the car is not blocking anyone type of deal.) A small socket is all you need I don't even jack it up, even for the ones on the bottom but it takes a little finess. If it is not the sensor it could be a few things, like overfilling your oil, the PCM, but these camsensors is the sensor itself that goes faulty on you. If you have a multimeter you can compare sensors that way too if you don't want to run the engine. One of them will read the wrong oHms that's the bad one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (08-02-2020), humfrz (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
FamousMuffin

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
9x out of 10 it is just the sensor. There are 4. I would move it to another spot and see if the bank changes. If it does replace that sensor with a new one and you are good to go. (Sometimes moving it will get worse / not even start but that's fine you can just move it back. Just make sure the car is not blocking anyone type of deal.) A small socket is all you need I don't even jack it up, even for the ones on the bottom but it takes a little finess. If it is not the sensor it could be a few things, like overfilling your oil, the PCM, but these camsensors is the sensor itself that goes faulty on you. If you have a multimeter you can compare sensors that way too if you don't want to run the engine. One of them will read the wrong oHms that's the bad one.

So I took out all 4 sensors and made sure they all looked good and in working order, they all seemed to look good, I have a multimeter (kinda a noob) when it comes to using it. I’m not sure how to test the ohms on a sensor with the multimeter. I did not actually try putting one of the sensors into another spot, I’m gonna try that tomorrow when I get a chance maybe that’ll really tell me, I just wish I could pin point it down to what the problem really is, what a bummer :/ (I’m now coming to think after some research it’s the ocv on bank 2 intake side, hence the one on the top right if you’re looking towards the car from the front.) I’m gonna order one now and see if it ends up fixing, will update after.

Last edited by FamousMuffin; 07-30-2020 at 07:21 PM.
FamousMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,898 Times in 16,458 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
P0020 Toyota
Featured snippet from the web
P0020 is the OBD-II generic code indicating that the engine control module (ECM) has determined that the bank 2 intake camshaft Oil Control Valve (OCV) has an open or short circuit. This happens during one drive cycle.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:26 PM   #5
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMuffin View Post
So I took out all 4 sensors and made sure they all looked good and in working order, they all seemed to look good, I have a multimeter (kinda a noob) when it comes to using it. I’m not sure how to test the ohms on a sensor with the multimeter. I did not actually try putting one of the sensors into another spot, I’m gonna try that tomorrow when I get a chance maybe that’ll really tell me, I just wish I could pin point it down to what the problem really is, what a bummer :/ (I’m now coming to think after some research it’s the ocv on bank 2 intake side, hence the one on the top right if you’re looking towards the car from the front.) I’m gonna order one now and see if it ends up fixing, will update after.

You turn the dial to the symbol that looks like this.

p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
YamahaR86 (08-03-2020)