follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 PM   #127
Pat

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks for the response. The more I learn about SCCA the less I want to drive with them.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #128
femaledog

Drives: 2017 BRZ Perf. Pkg.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I watched that Sunday video and I'm shocked by what's going on there. That kind of driving would never be allowed in my NASA region. Red FRS and Black RX8 could have totally avoided that collision, and then the red car is driving in the grass after that like he wants to bounce off an AI car in Gran Turismo for playstation. What is going on??
femaledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:53 AM   #129
Totemo_Hayai

Drives: 2013 FRS
The red FRS had a left front tire failure due to contact which prevented it from turning right.

The rules for contact in SCCA, NASA, and ICSCC are all similarly vague. Contact also occurs pretty regularly with all of them. In most cases you have the opportunity to prevent someone from hitting you, but sometimes people will straight up run into you and there's nothing you can do about it. There's no perfect racing organization and "the rules" aren't much help because no one has bothered to write them down. Racing is still really awesome and history suggests that body repair doesn't have to be a significant part of the budget.
femaledog (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 02:01 AM   #130
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 3,564 Times in 1,587 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The ambiguity in rules is less of a problem than stewards unwilling to enforce them.

In the last ICSCC race 1 driver had two incidents in one race received two penalties including loss of a lap, fine and 3 event probation. The only other place I expect to see that level of enforcement is Vintage racing.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #131
femaledog

Drives: 2017 BRZ Perf. Pkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totemo_Hayai View Post
The red FRS had a left front tire failure due to contact which prevented it from turning right.

The rules for contact in SCCA, NASA, and ICSCC are all similarly vague.
Thanks for clearing that up, I thought maybe that was just the worst driving ever. An actual problem makes it much easier to reconcile with reality.
femaledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #132
Totemo_Hayai

Drives: 2013 FRS
Stewarding in ICSCC changes with the wind. Most of the times people have hit me there have been no reports and no penalties. I think the only time a penalty was issued was when the other driver insisted it was my fault and forced the stewards to take action, ultimately penalizing him on top of his car being destroyed. I know of at least one instance last season where a clear punt went un-penalized. It's cool that ICSCC is a little more aggressive with penalties this season, but it has not been a racing utopia in the past and it's uncertain how long the emphasis on no contact will last. I say this as someone that has done most of their racing in ICSCC and will probably continue to do so.

SCCA may have penalized the black RX-8 had the later incident not occurred. It's certainly easy to see how it would be difficult to meaningfully penalize one car or the other after both incidents occurred and both cars are finish at least a lap down. They were both "reprimanded" not sure if that includes some form of probation.

What actually bothers me more than aggressive T4 drivers is drivers of faster classes that insist on racing in T4 races. Unfortunately, there isn't a rule against this and never will be. It increases the danger, frustration, leads to more contact, alters the outcome, and generally makes things not fun. Fortunately, there will only be T4 cars in the runoffs race.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #133
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 3,564 Times in 1,587 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Stewarding in ICSCC changes with the wind. Most of the times people have hit me there have been no reports and no penalties. I think the only time a penalty was issued was when the other driver insisted it was my fault and forced the stewards to take action, ultimately penalizing him on top of his car being destroyed.
Indeed, in a volunteer org - the winds of change are always blowing. At least they penalized him though. I think the ICSCC is in great stewarding hands for the next 2-4 years.

Quote:
They were both "reprimanded" not sure if that includes some form of probation.

What actually bothers me more than aggressive T4 drivers is drivers of faster classes that insist on racing in T4 races. Unfortunately, there isn't a rule against this and never will be. It increases the danger, frustration, leads to more contact, alters the outcome, and generally makes things not fun. Fortunately, there will only be T4 cars in the runoffs race.
Reprimands are wrist slaps, they don’t affect results or contingency awards.