follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #113
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Looks like a lot more surface area on top than on bottom, unneeded overhang in the front for sure. This would negate the idea that its entirety is for inter cooler. I completely understand that it shares concept with the cosworth unit, but everything I see on the cosworth unit makes sense for housing the inter cooler. Again- functional with a little brand advert. Im not too impressed that the enforce unit is aluminum not plastic. The unneccesary overhang weighs that much more for being aluminum not plastic. If you want an American v8, buy it. I don't at all understand the need to mimick the crap automakers use to hide plastic intake manifolds and valve covers on modern engines. The plastic is for weight savings and heat dissipation, not to mention lower cost. Then, to offset all that function they put a big cover over the engine to make it look like something it isn't. Ours is visible and looks ok. They put a small cover on it that isn't really necessary, but it's fairly minimal. I'm a big fan of edelbrock from way back, this just looks silly and unnecessary to me. I would rather see them cater to function, rather than the Chevy Ford and Chrysler crowd that they traditionally cater to. Give them the big heavy lumps of bling. They weigh 4000 lbs anyway. We hav a small, lightweight car that really doesn't need a lot of extra flash under the hood. The American muscle crowd will never be the customer of this product. Most of them are too busy juicing their camaros and challengers. I would love to see weight specs compared to cosworth, and charge temps too. I'll bet this will be found wanting. I'm sorry for all the feelings I hurt here, but this thing is ugly to me. It seems to cater too much to appearance. It may very well perform great- I hope it does. Another choice for us is a good thing.another thing, in this picture there doesn't appear to be a pulley that runs the compressor unit. There are a great number of extra idlers, but where is the drive neck? It may be there under the front porch awning I see in the picture, but I don't even see the front of the supercharger. I want to see a supercharger if I have a supercharger. I'll vote with my wallet when I finallly supercharge my car. If this things exceeds its appearance, I could be swayed. But, it's looks are not good. And the inter cooler part IS a monstrosity. Thanks for the education from the three captain obvious', I'm not convinced this is dedigned more for function than v8 appearance.
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twag4 For This Useful Post:
mike_ekim1024 (02-25-2016), sato (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #114
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Man, you are way too hung up on the appearance and what you "think" they are trying to cater to.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #115
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Eh, if he doesn't like it he doesn't like it.

Does it perform? Thats all that really matters and he mentioned that :p
The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
sato (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #116
Andrew025

I don't really like it either, but I'm not writing a book about it.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #117
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Well I think it looks pretty rad. So boom!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
tahdizzle (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #118
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I love how the conversation is regarding the aesthetic value of the supercharger. W-T-F is wrong with people? Who gives a ^$%# about a lb of extra plastic or aluminium?

Go back to the "How to Plasti-Dip your emblems" thread.

Powered by Great North Performance, Jani-King Canada, and OK Tire.
Thorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thorpedo For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-28-2015), civicdrivr (08-02-2015), Freeman (04-29-2015), funwheeldrive (06-05-2015), KoreanJesus (12-15-2018), TRD-X (05-07-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #119
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpedo View Post
I love how the conversation is regarding the aesthetic value of the supercharger. W-T-F is wrong with people? Who gives a ^$%# about a lb of extra plastic or aluminium?

Go back to the "How to Plasti-Dip your emblems" thread.
That pound will ruin the "feel" of the car...What these cars were meant for
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-28-2015), mike_ekim1024 (04-29-2015), sato (04-28-2015), Thorpedo (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #120
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
That pound will ruin the "feel" of the car...What these cars were meant for
Is this sarcasm?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:12 PM   #121
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Looks like a lot more surface area on top than on bottom, unneeded overhang in the front for sure. This would negate the idea that its entirety is for inter cooler. I completely understand that it shares concept with the cosworth unit, but everything I see on the cosworth unit makes sense for housing the inter cooler. Again- functional with a little brand advert. Im not too impressed that the enforce unit is aluminum not plastic. The unneccesary overhang weighs that much more for being aluminum not plastic. If you want an American v8, buy it. I don't at all understand the need to mimick the crap automakers use to hide plastic intake manifolds and valve covers on modern engines. The plastic is for weight savings and heat dissipation, not to mention lower cost. Then, to offset all that function they put a big cover over the engine to make it look like something it isn't. Ours is visible and looks ok. They put a small cover on it that isn't really necessary, but it's fairly minimal. I'm a big fan of edelbrock from way back, this just looks silly and unnecessary to me. I would rather see them cater to function, rather than the Chevy Ford and Chrysler crowd that they traditionally cater to. Give them the big heavy lumps of bling. They weigh 4000 lbs anyway. We hav a small, lightweight car that really doesn't need a lot of extra flash under the hood. The American muscle crowd will never be the customer of this product. Most of them are too busy juicing their camaros and challengers. I would love to see weight specs compared to cosworth, and charge temps too. I'll bet this will be found wanting. I'm sorry for all the feelings I hurt here, but this thing is ugly to me. It seems to cater too much to appearance. It may very well perform great- I hope it does. Another choice for us is a good thing.another thing, in this picture there doesn't appear to be a pulley that runs the compressor unit. There are a great number of extra idlers, but where is the drive neck? It may be there under the front porch awning I see in the picture, but I don't even see the front of the supercharger. I want to see a supercharger if I have a supercharger. I'll vote with my wallet when I finallly supercharge my car. If this things exceeds its appearance, I could be swayed. But, it's looks are not good. And the inter cooler part IS a monstrosity. Thanks for the education from the three captain obvious', I'm not convinced this is dedigned more for function than v8 appearance.
WTF?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #122
twag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Man, you are way too hung up on the appearance and what you "think" they are trying to cater to.
Yes, that is it. Thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #123
twag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
WTF?
Thanks for the input!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #124
twag4

Hey, I got flamed for having an opinion. That is WTF! So I explained why I didn't like it, now all you forum hero types don't like that. Sorry. Buy millions of these, prove they are the best. People have pretty tender feelings for a system that doesn't exist yet for the real world. Wow!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #125
Andrew025

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Quote:
Yes, that is it. Thanks

If it's something else, you sure did a hell of a job only talking about how it looks.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #126
itsibarra

Drives: Supercharged Car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey, I got flamed for having an opinion. That is WTF! So I explained why I didn't like it, now all you forum hero types don't like that. Sorry. Buy millions of these, prove they are the best. People have pretty tender feelings for a system that doesn't exist yet for the real world. Wow!
I think you were getting flamed because your statements were attacking and presumptuous. If you don't like it that's fine.

IMO I think Cosworth's unit isn't attractive...Performance-wise we'll wait for enigma to chime in the Cosworth thread after he gets dyno'd.

E-Force - I think the top of the manifold looks VERY different from their other units. Looks almost like a fuse between LFA's engine cover and a flipped FT-1 concept engine. As for performance & cooling, I won't assume but hope the IC core is close to as wide as that manifold.

Last edited by itsibarra; 04-28-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: me kannut spellz
itsibarra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boost, byebye jackson racing, e-force, edelbrock, forced induction, supercharger